Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts - Page 4

Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

This is a discussion on Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started training 30 years ago in Kyokushin Karate. I've done other stuff since then (currently doing Shit0-ryu) - but the one thing I appreciate ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

I started training 30 years ago in Kyokushin Karate. I've done other stuff since then (currently doing Shit0-ryu) - but the one thing I appreciate the most from my kyokushin training is learning how to take punishment without losing focus.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I've studied two forms of Tae Kwon Do to the Brown Belt level (I moved for a job the first time and my instructor left town the second time), and dabbled in Shorin Ryu, Aikido and kick boxing. None of this was by design or planning, I just kind of happened into all of them.

Like right now, I'm looking to get back into Martial Arts (MA), because I need to get in shape and lose weight. I also have acquired a nice hand forged katana, so I figure I need to learn how to use it properly. Anyone know a good kendo instructor in the SE Florida area?

I personally don't believe in all the mysticism associated with most MA. It is all techniques and keeping the right frame of mind (i.e. situational awareness). I've actually taught people how to break boards and bricks without knowing ANY MA.

To use any MA in a self defense situation, you have to be able turn off the dojo mode and go full out.

Wink Well...

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I also have acquired a nice hand forged katana, so I figure I need to learn how to use it properly. Anyone know a good kendo instructor in the SE Florida area?
    Well, AIKIDO is a sword art, after all. My original sensei for Aikido taught Bokkan (sp? lol it's been awhile) with tactical moves from the draw right on thru the "finish." He also taught the JO stick with the idea that it could closely resemble a pool cue. lol
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

No Nonsense Self Defense

I'm 100% on board with the self-defense system espoused at the No Nonsense Self Defense site.
    Last edited by Bm7b5; September 2nd, 2009 at 12:32 PM.

Krav Maga for real life weapon takedown tactics.
    Jui-Jitsu for fighting. Most all fights will end up on
    the ground Jui Jitsu is best for ground fights.
    I go to a lot of MMA fights and study the fights
    on tv too and most of the fighters that practice tae kwon do/
    kung fu and similar styles end up losing very badly.

Unless both people quit and walk away wouldn't logic mean that at least one person would always end up on the ground? The idea is for it to be the attacker and not you. You can do more damage by putting the boots to him is he tries to get up and continue the attack, or just stomp on his hand or ankle.

YouTube - Get in my Guard

I am not an martial artist yet but I will beginn studying escrima or krav maga next year.

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    I am not an martial artist yet but I will beginn studying escrima or krav maga next year.
    Why wait until next year?

Well I'll add my opinion. I started in Taekwondo when it was still 3 words. I had a problem with kata early on and it stuck with me forever. I have joined some schools for long periods of time and one I only trained one night (long story). I've studied karate, bjj, kung fu, judo, tkd and aikido. Aikido and bjj being the only 2 I use. Plus some boxing I picked up along the way. I will say the school you pick will be as important as the art you choose. That being said find someplace that teaches more than one idea at a time. The best training I ever got was from a school that taught kung fu, judo and aikido. All in the same class. In my city I can get a black belt within a year. 99% of the schools are Mc Dojos. Don't waste your time. Remember, as you age you don't heal as fast. Lately the pain lasts longer than I remember. I'm not old yet....i'm just not young anymore.

Please get you children involved in a reputable school as soon as they are able. The training they miss as a child will be time lost and can't be recovered.

P.S. The most important lesson I ever learned in Martial Arts....TUCK YOUR CHIN !
    "When you reload in low light encounters, don't put your flashlight in
    your back pocket.. If you light yourself up, you'll look like an angel
    or the tooth fairy...and you're gonna be one of 'em pretty soon."

Clint Smith

The following may have already been mentioned in this thread, but I don't have time to read the whole thing, so please forgive me if a similar statement has already been posted:

Whatever you study, make sure it includes multiple techniques for disarming opponents with handguns, longarms, knives, clubs etc.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

I've studied various arts for 46 years. I started training with my father who was a military combat instructor in WWII.
    I was taught to walk away whenever possible. As such, my real world encounters have been short, very violent, and life changing.

I have studied 4 different Martial Arts and played around with some others but have Black belt rank in 2.
    I have studied over 20 years and the best Art I have trained in is Fu Jow Pai Kung FU.

I have to say that it really is not the style but the instructor. I have a 3rd degree in TKD and a black sash in FJP.

My FJB instructor was a 160LB 5' 6" tall killer. All we did was self defense and semi full contact sparring.
    He always used attacks to the Vital spots that why we could not go full because there would be no students left.

I like it because I felt really confident that I could defend myself in almost any situation.
    I know some TKD Masters that would get killed by a good street figher so that why I liked the KUNG Fu style.

Quote Originally Posted by Onezee20 View Post
    I know some TKD Masters that would get killed by a good street figher so that why I liked the KUNG Fu style.
    Personally, I've never been terribly impressed with TKD as a defensive art. It's flashy, and most TKD people I've met are fairly quick, but their training is for the ring, not for the street. The rise of the McDojo certainly didn't help - kids getting black belts after 2 years of training only creates a false confidence.

I originally trained in Kyokushin karate. One of the things I learned was how to take hits without losing focus. Another thing I learned (not only from the classes but from life as well) is that the style and training don't matter at all if the MENTAL preparation isn't there. You have KNOW that you can and will respond violently if threatened. Otherwise, you hesitate, or hold back. I don't know of many places that teach that anymore.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    I'm reluctant to say this, but I have one martial arts skill that is all but useless... when I was 12 or 13, I saw Bruce Lee (Way Of The Dragon, I think) swinging 2 sets of nunchakus, and the very next day, I was working on building my own crude set.

IIRC... I think I read somewhere that nunchakus generate about 1800 lbs per sq inch at the point of impact.... human bone breaks around 12, I think. The problem with nunchakus is that while they are beautiful flying and spinning about, as soon as you hit something, they always take a funny bounce, sometimes right into your own eye. The secret to nunchakus is learning how they bounce and how to recover them when they fly weird.

So at 13 years old, I bought a book, bought some real 'chucks, and proceeded to beat my own ass black and blue. Then, starting in about the 9th grade, I found two other friends who wanted to learn, and we bought lightweight pine 'chucks with fat foam padding, and proceeded to beat each others' asses black and blue. We didn't pull our swings very much... those padded 'chucks can still knock someone out.

And after some 5 or 8 years of whirling these things around my head at full speed, I never missed anymore.... and I know exactly how they will bounce off a skull or a knee or a hand, and how to recover them after the impact. And I got very accurate and REALLY fast... blindingly fast. Even now, thirty-plus years later, I can pick them up and throw them around at really high speeds, and I never hit myself... the muscle memory is very deeply ingrained. I should have that sorta muscle memory with my gun hand...

But, as far as I know, you can't carry 'chucks concealed... at least not in Florida. But that didn't stop me in my wild and misspent youth... Today, armed with a firearm, my nunchaku skills are relegated to an occasional cardio routine and rare party trick...

But I can still knock a half-smoked Marlboro outta yer mouth, though, and you can't see it... you only feel the breeze go past your chin....
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

this is sort of related. Brandon Vera, ufc heavyweight -muay thai/grappling/bjj - was robbed at gunpoint and decided to get his CCW permit. Mark Kerr, a scary MMA competitor, had glocks stored at a safe bedside; I saw this in one of those documentaries a few years back.

it got me thinking... these guys are in sick shape, can pound anyone easily but still have to rely on firearms when the chips are down. I probably won't last 3 minutes in the mat now and I will gas out. I wonder if your lactic acid builds up after engaging targets with my glock and unloading COM hits at targets.

i like the idea of Krav Maga but has anybody really seen this stuff in real life action?
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links