Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts - Page 7

Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

This is a discussion on Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; nice thread. Interesting to me is it wasn't until some specialized training by James Jarrett (USMA) that I received fairly detailed SA training. This is ...

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

nice thread. Interesting to me is it wasn't until some specialized training by James Jarrett (USMA) that I received fairly detailed SA training. This is after various MMA and a 1st Dan in WTSD and 8 yrs of banging with all styles welcome dojo. (An early claim to fame is I knocked out Danny Partridge. Sheesh! I hope to put that behind me). I bring up SA as in hindsight this was probably the key element of any system I have ever been exposed to (or trained in) even if not given much exposure. What I am trying to say is that others here, and on other forums have detailed how important your mind is as a component of your weapons system (ie., "martial arts").
    Some of the toughest fights I ever had I admit I entered into with the wrong mindset and had my patootie handed to me pronto.
    Just my $.02 .

I won't stop racing when I get old, I will get old when I stop racing

NRA Life, Master Mason, Jack-of-All-Trades (Master of None)

VIP Member

Realistic scenarios and practice

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    Yeah it can be a problem. A good way to realistically simulate and practice such moves is on a BOB dummy.

[deleted]

Sadly, true, this side of a communist dictatorship and some political prisoners to practice on...

Yeah I saw a martial arts motivational poster somewhere once that showed a tattooed, convict-looking type of guy with the saying, "Did you work out today? HE did!"
    So, an hour ago we were practicing defenses against someone attacking while you are entering your car; opening the trunk; walking with bags under both arms.

Sure glad no good Samaritan called the cops about the fight in the parking lot, and no good CHL holder
    thought he'd come to my rescue.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Kyokushin karate=My main fighting form
    Judo
    I recently picked up on a bit of wrestling

I found karate along with Judo and wrestling has been a very effective combination for me inside the ring as well as outside.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    So, an hour ago we were practicing defenses against someone attacking while you are entering your car; opening the trunk; walking with bags under both arms.
    That's good training! Anything to help get that adrenaline rush, so you can see what it's like to try to operate under those conditions...tunnel vision, loss of fine motor skills, etc.

That's one thing emphasized well in Krav Maga, the practicality of using "large" movements as opposed to those often ridiculously detailed, fine motor skill-requiring techniques you'll never remember in the heat of battle...

The other real eye-opener of that type of training you're doing is when it's in the dark, in a parking lot or some other variable surface, and in tight jeans as opposed to a comfortable gi in the nicely well-lit dojo...
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

VIP Member

re: quicksabre on realistic training and clothes

The other real eye-opener of that type of training you're doing is when it's in the dark, in a parking lot or some other variable surface, and in tight jeans as opposed to a comfortable gi in the nicely well-lit dojo...
    Interesting you should mention that. I have always declined to wear
    gym clothes for my training. I guess I get away with that because I'm doing private lessons, but my attitude is I am going to practice in the same clothes I wear when I am going about town. The only concession is that I take my shoes off to protect the mats and the instructor from getting kicked with a shoe.

I really like the Krav M, but work on Arnis and other stuff as well. I don't give a hoot about belts and pristine forms. I have no loyalty to anything other than "whatever works." I have two goals, set the BG back so he will break off and go bother someone else, or make space and time to draw.

Oh, as for training when it is dark, we practice stuff with my eyes closed and with one arm behind my back to simulate fighting with an injured arm.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    The only thing I know is that I can properly defend myself with what I know. I've done it before in the past inside and outside the octagon/mat.

There is no best fighting system, it's the individual.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Basically it doesn't matter what your style is, you can't really "practice" the deadly techniques with a live partner that you don't want to really hurt.
    Interestingly, this correlates exactly to firearm training. You can "practice" delivering deadly shots (i.e., "techniques") to a live person, usually in the form of a silhouette target - but you're not actually doing it.

I've never shot anyone (unless you count Bambi, heh, Michigan is a great deer hunting state) - but I am guessing that it is not like shooting a target, any more than practicing an eye gouge on a martial arts dummy is anything like the real thing.

All you can really do, short of actual experience, is perform the same physical motions in practice - and perform them enough, with correct form and technique resulting in the desired reflexes - that you hope to perform when the stuff hits the fan for real.

PM
    The dojo that my son goes to teaches Ju-kempo. It is an MMA style of judo-- throws and locks/bars and Kempo-- strikes with hands and feet. It also has some grappling (more Ground and Pound). The Sensi is a former co-worker of my wife's so I know him from outside the Dojo. Something I said about using it on the street and not fight cleaning (OK, I said fight dirty) sensi's remark was that is how the system is taught when he teaches womens SD; fight dirty as in kick LOW and DO SO REPEATEDLY till the gut drops. He also said he would fight dirty on the street and that an old man like me should not even think clean fight on the street; he is ten or so years my junior. While I have not taken the system as a student; I have sen enough to exicute if I needed too!!

Question Eye Gouge Practice?

I am guessing that it is not like shooting a target, any more than practicing an eye gouge on a martial arts dummy is anything like the real thing. All you can really do, short of actual experience, is perform the same physical motions in practice - and perform them enough, with correct form and technique resulting in the desired reflexes - that you hope to perform when the stuff hits the fan for real.
    Before my daughter (who looks a lot like Brittany Spears before she went off the deep end) went off to college several years ago (she is now 28) I gave her some nifty techniques to use in case of an attempt at date rape. Very basic stuff. But pretty deadly. One of the techniques I gave her was feigning enthusiasm for a crushing kiss to which a struggle had proven futile including vociferous "NO'S" and involved running her hands over the back of his head until she could work to the front of the face and forcefully shoving both thumbs into his eyes up to the third knuckle. How did I make her practice? She had to close her eyes and put a GRAPE between thumb and forefinger and crushing that grape allowing the pulp and juice to run over her fingers and down her hand. Over and over and over. She knew why, too. She never had to use it, but she DID use another technique I taught her, far less devastating, reaching to the upper, INNER thigh to twist the sensitive flesh there in order to break a hug from the rear. That kid learned "LET ME GO" means business. Good thing she waited years after college to tell me this stuff.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I will start practising Japanese Ju Justu next week. This martial arts should be a quite efficent self defense system. Or would you reccomend something else? Other martial arts which are offered in my area are Krav Maga, classic Karate and Wing Tsung. I would be pleased hearing some opineons.

Greetings from Austria.

VIP Member

I don't think it matters much

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    I will start practising Japanese Ju Justu next week. This martial arts should be a quite efficent self defense system. Or would you reccomend something else? Other martial arts which are offered in my area are Krav Maga, classic Karate and Wing Tsung. I would be pleased hearing some opineons.

Greetings from Austria.
    I don't think it matters very much.

What I do strongly advise is that you become very familiar with the laws and regulations related to self-defense in Austria. You want to avoid ever being in any kind of a fight, and you need to know when (if ever) you are allowed to use physical force to protect yourself.

Learn whatever you are comfortable with and do not expect it to be the magic answer to self-defense.

Learning h2h is more like learning music than anything else. It take time, dedication, hours and hours of lessons and practice. And just like music, there are some folks who are just natural fighters and gifted in this direction.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 21st, 2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Initially confused Austria with Australia

Wink Good system...yup.

I will start practising Japanese Ju Justu next week. This martial arts should be a quite efficent self defense system. Or would you reccomend something else? Other martial arts which are offered in my area are Krav Maga, classic Karate and Wing Tsung. I would be pleased hearing some opineons. Greetings from Austria.
    I studied Jujuitsu for years before I went onto active duty in 1981. It's good for younger folks since there is a fair amount of strikes and or kicks, but there is also some good work on nerve centers and with joint locks. I found that grasping Aikido was a lot easier with a background in Jujuitsu. Techniques are similar but I would call Jujuitsu a "harder" or more combat oriented art. Let us know how you like it and ... remember to stay stretched out, especially in your wrists!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Thx for infos. I have done some investigations and all martial arts tought here in austria are adopted the local laws.. And yes I will report how I like the training.

Greetings from Austria.
    I agree with what others have said here - it doesn't much matter what style you choose. Most styles will enable you to defend yourself - what matters most is your determination and willingness to stick to the training. There may be differences in approach and philosophy but for the most part the instructor matters more than the style.

The difficulty is that some instructors will insist they and their style are the be-all and end-all of martial arts, the 'ultimate' martial art, if you will...avoid these at all costs. It's just marketing hype.

VIP Member

For pete00

Thx for infos. I have done some investigations and all martial arts tought here in austria are adopted the local laws.. And yes I will report how I like the training.
    Again, be certain that you learn the circumstances in which you may use physical force without violating your country's laws.

I was not suggesting that I had a concern about the studios you are considering. I was saying that it is not sufficient to know how to fight. You also need to know when it is allowed and when it is not allowed.

You might need to know if certain moves are considered illegal, or considered excessive force for which you will be held accountable.

The parallel is that here, where people can conceal carry guns, it is not enough to know how to fire a gun. We must know when it is lawful to do so and when it is unlawful to do so.

Here in the US there are legal issues which relate to martial arts which I am sure have parallels in your country. For example, learn you country's weapon's laws. Learn if it is legal to carry a small stick, or a knife, or throwing stars etc. Here, there is no uniformity in the law between our different states, and so no one here can offer you guidance. You must make a point of learning not just the martial art, but laws of your country regarding both self-defense and the use of various items as possible weapons.

Let me give you an example of an issue which can come up.

Suppose you are attacked by someone who is using a knife, and suppose you manage to take that knife away from the attacker. When if ever do your laws allow you to use the knife you just took on the initial attacker, and when must you even at risk to yourself, try to get that knife out of the situation perhaps by simply throwing it where your attacker can't get to it.

Answers to possible H2H scenarios like this are very dependent on the specifics of the situation and the precise nature of the laws where you live. You need to learn those laws as well as how to take a knife from an attacker.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Links