Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts - Page 9

Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

This is a discussion on Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Phoebe I've now been taking Krav Maga for 3.5 months or so. But sometimes I hate going to class. I have a ...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Unarmed Combat and Martial Arts

Exclamation Rule #1: DO NO HARM -- to YOURSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    I've now been taking Krav Maga for 3.5 months or so. But sometimes I hate going to class. I have a shoulder injury from a few years back that gets aggravated by KM. I'm often frustrated with myself, scared of being hit, and hate being pushed so hard.
    I'm like you in that my back got busted up by imjuries I incurred in my youth (active duty in my case) and I really can't afford to spar in the martial arts like I used to do. I joined a new Aikido dojo last week and they go pretty hard corps there. To the point that belt exams are often held in the parking lot for rolls, throws etc. I don't think I can go that route with my injury status and I told them that. I think my docs at the VA would string me up by my heels. For starters.

They were REALLY cool about it and said I can do only so much as I can do and they'll work with me on everything. Very comforting. One of their instructors is a former member of SEAL TM 2 who knows a buddy of mine from the same team. LOL Small world.

I would simply NOT continue in a style that is going to cause me to damage myself. As we age it can only get worse. There is no escaping that. That's key IMHO.

Aikido is nowhere as "hard" a system as Krav and that suits my style just fine. I have already had to use my skill set (minor as they are, lol) on my job. Many times I've had a student that needed "calming."

I like it because it is pretty much purely defensive in nature so I can never be accused of using it on a student in a proactive manner (before needed in self defense) or as an act of aggression. You can't just grab somebody and "DO" Aikido on them. It won't work in that manner. Yet react to aggression using the art and it goes from soft art to Armageddon in an eye blink. Faster, even. I also like Aikido because there are no "punches, kicks or KATA" yet there is a weaponology to be had. JO-Stick and Bokken (wooden Samurai sword) are two and they are both completely practical in nature. Especially the Jo-stick. Instead, think "pool cue." Hoo boy.
    Last edited by ExSoldier; February 8th, 2010 at 03:13 AM.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I just started at a new dojo. They are nice people, and are very understanding about the problems I have with my joints, but they want a 1 year contract (red flag number 1), and they award belts in an "MMA" style (red flag number 2). Last but not least is that they don't just bow out at the end of class, but have this whole mantra they recite about improving oneself, not using martial arts in an abusive manner, etc., then some "Power Rangers" type bow out (red flag number 3). I'll finish the first month, but I don't think they are for me.

When I was in the Army my platoon leader taught Tae Kwon Do. I love the classes, but after a couple of years my instructor suggested I might try something in the japanese arts. I loved to grapple rather than punch.

I took Judo in college and loved that.. Then after becoming an LEO I took Matsuno Ryu Goshinjujitsu classes from a fellow officer in Tucson. Really loved that.

Now days I just smack them with my AARP card..

But I keep training..I watch Steven Segal Lawman just yesterday...
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by TapRackBang View Post
    Now days I just smack them with my AARP card.....
    Ouch, I'll bet THAT hurts. I just quit AARP because it's so HEAVILY liberalized.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm not even a member, they just keep sending me the cards..so I get 10% off stuff.
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

In the meantime I have I have checked krav maga too, the instructer seems quite good,but the prices are way too much for my budget. According some roomers another IKMF krav maga school will open next week, and until then I will only practicse Ju Jutsu.

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    In the meantime I have I have checked krav maga too, the instructer seems quite good,but the prices are way too much for my budget. According some roomers another IKMF krav maga school will open next week, and until then I will only practicse Ju Jutsu.
    You should probably just stay with Ju Jutsu, if that's what you like and the price isn't too high.

The style itself only really matters at the "lower" levels, i.e., lower than 2nd degree black belt, in general. Above that, all of the styles start to resemble each other.

Think about it. You watch a, say, 6th degree black belt in TKD and the same rank in Aikido defend themselves on the street. You'd have a hard time telling which is which - the TKD guy/gal will know and use grappling/blending moves, and the Aikidoist will know and use striking.

Different paths to the top of the mountain, but from up there, the view is the same.

The key is to pick one path that works for you, and stick with it long enough to truly master it (we're talking decades here).
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

A little Kyukido (mixture of taekwando, Judo, wing chun and kung fu)
    Hand to hand from the Army and being able to take/deliver a punch. Being 6'2 and 300+ doesn't hurt either!

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I'm quite impressed with what a 1.5" hickory dowel could do in trained hands, and I would like to become proficient with it.
    I have thought of beginning to train with a cane, since I have one and obviously can't seem to keep it put away for too long of a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by pete00 View Post
    In the meantime I have I have checked krav maga too, the instructer seems quite good,but the prices are way too much for my budget.
    I am not in Krav, but have investigated it for when I get far enough in to TKD to not do damage to my training by introducing another discipline and I can tell you that you need to be sure of any Krav school you attend. There are more people who are teaching that shouldn't than the other way around, at least in the US from the sources I spoke to. Make sure they are official and licensed to teach from the Intl Krav Maga Federation, or a governing body in Austria.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member

Re: Paco "more people teaching that shouldn't"

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I am not in Krav, but have investigated it for when I get far enough in to TKD to not do damage to my training by introducing another discipline and I can tell you that you need to be sure of any Krav school you attend. There are more people who are teaching that shouldn't than the other way around, at least in the US from the sources I spoke to. [/URL]
    I suspect that you are absolutely right, and you can tell that fairly quickly just by looking at some of what is on You Tube.

Im late to the party, but had to post. Read entire thread. I was surprised to see Wing Chun mentioned, and even more surprised that Systema had not. Also this is my second time writing this (damn comp froze when I was going to add my last sentences), so it might not be as good as the first, but it may even be better. I have studied Wing Chun for just under a year, and some very basic Systema and Ninjutsu. But here are the styles I would recommend, some have been covered, most have not. All the styles I mention are Self Defense, not martial art or MMA. Could not embed videos, theres only 3 so check them out, Im sure you guys will appreciate them (especially systema).

1) Wing Chun - One of the fastest styles there is. Amazing stand up fighting system. Dim Mak (pressure point) system. Extremely effective. My favorite style.
    YouTube - one of the best wing tsun demos ever

2) Systema - Best all around system I have seen. The Russian Spetsnaz (special forces) system. Similar to Krav Maga. Stand up, ground, everything. Trains in use of firearms as well as other weapons. Very effective. If I were to recommend anything, this is it.
    YouTube - Russian Systema hand to hand fighting masters.

3) Jeet Kune Do - Bruce Lee's system. Fast and effective. Very direct, specializes in intercepting attacks. Made from Wing Chun.
    YouTube - Tommy Carruthers Jeet Kune Do

4) Ninjutsu - Very good all around system. Has many teachings other styles cant offer. Has many weapons, and trains in firearms too. Couldnt find good video, would have searched harder, but dont want my comp to freeze again.

Here some honorable mentions:
    Tai Chi, Krav Maga, and most Kung Fu (find a style you like, and yes I know Tai Chi is kung fu).

Any style is effective, as long as you find a good intructor. Find a style you like, and sit in for some classes. Im not saying that these styles are the best, Im just saying that these what I found from 3 years of searching that I liked and have seen to be effective. Hopefully some of these will interest you guys. Also sorry for long post.

I have trained in two styles... Shaolin Kenpo Karate and Inayan Eskrima

I learned a lot of great things from the karate, things i still practice still today... but as far as knife and stick weapons training inayan eskrima has been a really awesome experience for me. I feel very confident with a knife in my hand now, and it's a good feeling. Inayan Info(please note i am not affiliated with that school in any way, but onlly using the page for their well written description of the art.) ...
    A warrior may choose pacifism, all others are condemned to it

eskrima and silat are some of the best knife/stick fighting systems ive seen. I have also been influenced by those systems. I am grateful that you posted. anyone and everyone who is into stick and knife combat, check out silat. BTW, if you dont know (no flaming war, or any bad intentions proposed in this post) Okinawan Karate is a self defense system derived from china. (most, almost all defensive skills are from china, (brought to okinawa from china in other words kung fu. shaolin kung fu is the school of the most effective styles that one has to offer.)
    Again not a flame war, only history by my side. Research will show the same results. Yes, most karate came from shaolin temple monks (to which the style means, "little okinawa", if im not mistaken.) Sorry to break your japanese influences.
    Also Korea helped in development of the "so called japanese system" but koream had their own defenses as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I just started at a new dojo. They are nice people, and are very understanding about the problems I have with my joints, but they want a 1 year contract (red flag number 1), and they award belts in an "MMA" style (red flag number 2). Last but not least is that they don't just bow out at the end of class, but have this whole mantra they recite about improving oneself, not using martial arts in an abusive manner, etc., then some "Power Rangers" type bow out (red flag number 3). I'll finish the first month, but I don't think they are for me.
    Probably a wise choice. Mostly for red flags 1&2.

For #3, I agree it sounds kind of cheesy, but on the other hand I've been in dojos (usually Japanese styles) where they do all this "worship" - for lack of a better term - bowing and scraping at what is for all practical purposes, an altar to their founder. My point is it's just customs and window dressing and that's okay if you can put up with it and the rest of the training is good.

But the contracts? No way, that's a deal-killer right there. NEVER sign a contract to train in martial arts!

Quote Originally Posted by randomname View Post
    Again not a flame war, only history by my side. Research will show the same results. Yes, most karate came from shaolin temple monks (to which the style means, "little okinawa", if im not mistaken.) Sorry to break your japanese influences.
    Also Korea helped in development of the "so called japanese system" but koream had their own defenses as well.
    Er yeah, we digress. Discussing origins of style is like discussing politics, everybody has their own view.

My view is that various forms of martial arts are indigenous to almost every culture, constantly being absorbed, influenced and changed by martial arts in other cultures. This is a Good Thing. To prove a martial art began in a particular place and time is impossible, and more importantly, doesn't really matter. For example, the "Shaolin Kung Fu" most Americans are so enamored with "began" not in China, but was derived from Indian influences, which in turn were heavily influenced by Greek Pankration. Of course all of that history matters not a whit in terms of the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the martial art.

It usually only matters to instructors who are trying to make their art sound "mystical and oriental" in order (in their mind) to better market their style...

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Sponsored Links