What else do you carry? - Page 6

What else do you carry?

This is a discussion on What else do you carry? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Other than my G26, I carry a Spyderco Manix. I think this is the tank of ALL folding knives. From its composition to the locking ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What else do you carry?

Other than my G26, I carry a Spyderco Manix. I think this is the tank of ALL folding knives. From its composition to the locking mechanism, to the blade steel, I dont think this knife can be beaten!

I also carry a Surefire G2 flashlight.

LaP
    S&W 642, speed strip with 6 rounds Gold Dot, Buck Strider knife, cell phone. I also carry a sense of awareness, a sense of humor and a sense of well being.

In addition to my Kimber, I carry a Folding Hinder/Ma Karambit, Emerson CGC 11, Benchmade 630 and a SureFire E2D.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Reffy View Post
    In the photo, the bottom tool, is is a kubaton, and where do I get it :D?
    I got the Hinderer modular Kubaton from Plaza Cutlery web site.
    http://www.plazacutlery.com/Kubaton/KubatonMainpage.htm
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    In addition to my Kimber, I carry a Folding Hinder/Ma Karambit, Emerson CGC 11, Benchmade 630 and a SureFire E2D.

Brian
    My GOD! You fall into a pool or off a bridge and you're done! You'll sink right to the bottom and have to walk out! What happens if a cop just so nonchalantly asks to see your pocket contents....a 45, THREE wicked knives and a flashlight with crennulated bezel for striking? You seem to be walking premediation.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    My GOD! You fall into a pool or off a bridge and you're done! You'll sink right to the bottom and have to walk out! What happens if a cop just so nonchalantly asks to see your pocket contents....a 45, THREE wicked knives and a flashlight with crennulated bezel for striking? You seem to be walking premediation.
    Hey ExSoldier,

First, I'm a good swimmer. Second, I train alot of LEO in my area, so they already now what I carry.

Brian

I carry a Surefire E2D defense light, ASP Key Defender OC Kubaton on my keys or Sabre OC, and a cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Randal16-1 View Post
    Hey ExSoldier,

First, I'm a good swimmer. Second, I train alot of LEO in my area, so they already now what I carry. Brian
    Good to know you can swim. What if you fall into a deep well? Not much room to swim but enough to sink. So the cops in your area know you. Great! Know a few who don't like you? Probably not, because they're the sort who won't let you know until they get the chance to nail you. But they're out there. Count on it.

What if you go outside "your area?" Lots of cops don't like civilians (even those that teach LEO's) armed like that! Your permit is good whever there is reciprocity and the knives are what they are depending on the laws of each individual jurisdiction which you'd better be aware of. But let's say you're acting IAW all local laws etc. All that stuff almost still constitutes (street level) PC for nearly any cop to hassle you, if he's a mind to. And say he's got a partner who's one of the good guys and he says:
    Look he's got a permit, let him go let's get back to work! and the terse reply is:
    Criminey, look at all this STUFF! Is he expectin' WWIII? That makes US what? Chopped Liver? It's downright insultin'! and on and on and on.

Not much in the way of a good word is going to get you "unscrewed" after that. But not giving them so much in the way of a "preponderance of the evidence" is probably a start. Let me ask you, have you ever actually HAD to use ALL that stuff at once or in immediate sequence? Or is this a "just in case" case?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

The more gear you have the more complicated you can make your self defense plan. A gun, light, and OC spray is usually enough. What most individuals dont understand is that in can take multiple knife wounds to stop someone. The average criminal on the street is a recidivist and expierenced. They have knife fights for breakfast. Always remember to take out the eyes or shoot (if justified).

Lightbulb KISS has always worked for me!

Quote Originally Posted by btaulbee View Post
    The more gear you have the more complicated you can make your self defense plan. A gun, light, and OC spray is usually enough. What most individuals dont understand is that in can take multiple knife wounds to stop someone. The average criminal on the street is a recidivist and expierenced. They have knife fights for breakfast. Always remember to take out the eyes or shoot (if justified).
    I always thought the KISS principle was written specifically for me: Keep It Simple...STUPID. I can't begin to think things thru in a complex way when my neck is on the line. I knew a guy a long time ago who got jumped by a group of folks who made it clear they basically intended to beat him to death and set about the task.

He was on the gound and they were all clustered about him on their feet. He tried to protect his vitals and was able to get to his Buck folding hunter and flick it open one handed.

One GASPED:

He CUT me!

Then he tried to put weight on his leg and went down. Kinda hard to stand when your achilles tendon is sliced clean thru. The resultant screams from the guy sent the others to flight, especially when they saw the tendon rolled up like a venitian blind inside the guys skin about the size of a grapefruit behind the knee.

Didn't happen to ME understand .....it's just the way I heard it.....but yep, ONE well placed knife wound CAN do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I always thought the KISS principle was written specifically for me: Keep It Simple...STUPID. I can't begin to think things thru in a complex way when my neck is on the line. I knew a guy a long time ago who got jumped by a group of folks who made it clear they basically intended to beat him to death and set about the task.

He was on the gound and they were all clustered about him on their feet. He tried to protect his vitals and was able to get to his Buck folding hunter and flick it open one handed.

One GASPED:

He CUT me!

Then he tried to put weight on his leg and went down. Kinda hard to stand when your achilles tendon is sliced clean thru. The resultant screams from the guy sent the others to flight, especially when they saw the tendon rolled up like a venitian blind inside the guys skin about the size of a grapefruit behind the knee.

Didn't happen to ME understand .....it's just the way I heard it.....but yep, ONE well placed knife wound CAN do the job.
    I can see how in that situation (being on the ground) that the knife was effective. On my feet I dont want anything in my hands unless I have distance. I want my hands free so I can deliever a palm shove to the nose, strike to the throat, or eye gouge. If the guy is already on me I want my weapon in its retention holster. One defensive class taught to grab the attackers knife blade. You might get cut up on your hands but better than getting your throat cut. You have to fear murder/rape more than injury. Expect to get injured during an assault. Mindsetting is the best thing you can do to protect yourself.

Basic Tools Only...

My SureFire E2e, some pepper spray, and my .45 (Glock or Kimber)...I do carry a Ken Onion, Leek...but that's for opening 'Lottery Winning' messages...(that's right, I haven't used it yet).

I depend upon my gun, if anything is in question, the lead flies first...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

To ExSoldier

Hey ExSoldier,

First thank you for seeing things through a different eye. I respect your comments and input as they help us all grow hopefully to old men and women.

I hear what you are saying also. I guess I have been lucky, I have never been question about my knives. Here in Northern Ca. there are no laws as to blade size or the number of knives one can carry. I can see your point, if I was in my twenties and have long hair and wear my pants low. That would surely get a cops attention real fast. Me, I am in my forties with kids. I don't go to places that attract alot of attention like bars or parties. I am a simple and peaceful family man. I am also a Correctional Officer and a Law Enforcement defensive tactics instructor. I have been doing that for over 20+ years.

To answer one of you question on using a blade. Yes, I have. It was all I had at the time.

As for way I carry more then one tool. Alot of stuff can happen in a fight. I like option and Mr. Murphy can always jump in and mess with you. Your attackers to close to use firearms. Your knocked to the ground or trip and your primary tool goes flying. To many bystanders in the area to risk a shot. The list goes on and on. We can't always plan for what might or might not happen, but I do like my option open.

I also agree with you on keeping thing KISS simple. If you practice and train in complicated move they will most likely fail. Keep you techniquies simple and practice and train often. Muscle memory is the key.

Brian

I'm all about KISS-My gun, cell phone, and one knife (kind of knife varies by day). Thats it. No BUG, no extra knifes, no extra ammo, no spray, no stick/asp, and normally no light. I will agree with the possible uses of a light and need to have one, and do carry one on occasion but not very often.
    It's all personal preference, so carry what you think you may need.

Great post.I carry a SPYDERCO ENDURA clipped on strong side pocket. Ive owned a few, lost some while hunting or in the laundry over the years. Tried others and lost them too. I keep going back to the ENDURA, because its big thumbhole is easy for me to one hand thumb it open. Ive even sent it back to SPYDERCO with a letter explaining why its now so short. Ive used it constantly as letter opener, floor tile remover, sod tool,screw driver after reshaping the tip due to something stupid. It was sent back with a a note attached to the new knife as they said it was beyond repair.Maybe they were a little geeked at the stories of taking down armed felons while rolling in a ditch and I could not unholster my Glock. Fight was over when I one handed the easy open blade and made intimate contact in the suspects groin,and kept it there hard until I could secure the situation.Ive used it a lot as a tool. On humans and others things that just need a good tool to make them comply. One of the worst survied knife cuts I have seen was done by a carpet layer who was using a replaceable blade disposable knife. It was only a one inch deep cut but went the full length on the arm from elbow to wrist. The blade wasnt exposed a full inch but compressed tissue cuts at the compressed depth. Any way the point is carry and use a knife that is a good fit for you. A silly carpet knife can carry a whole lot of surprise so just think of the uses you could come up with for a 3 inch or bigger blade. Also you may never use it in a violent confrontation and that would be even better.In a really hard fight you may be the recipient of the weapons you carry,chose conservatively and with an eye on what may go skidding across the asphalt when you go down including the weapon in your hand or on your belt .
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links