Hidden weapons

This is a discussion on Hidden weapons within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sources: NYPD warns about weapons hidden in cell phones BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA | rocco.parascandola@newsday.com 11:03 PM EDT, July 6, 2009 A razor blade can be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hidden weapons

Hidden weapons

Sources: NYPD warns about weapons hidden in cell phones
    BY ROCCO PARASCANDOLA | rocco.parascandola@newsday.com
    11:03 PM EDT, July 6, 2009

A razor blade can be concealed in a cell phone, police say. (Handout / NYPD / July 6, 2009)

The NYPD has found an unintended use for the T-Mobile Sidekick and other hand-held devices - a razor blade can be secreted in their battery compartments, police sources say.

At the same, sources say, officers have been alerted to a recent Harlem arrest in which a cell phone recovered from a suspect had been converted into a stun gun. And officers guarding prisoners in hospitals have been told that meal trays have a vanity mirror that can easily be fashioned into a makeshift shiv.

The NYPD routinely alerts its officers to unique and creative weapon making, everything from knives inside lipstick containers to steering wheel security devices that can be converted into shotguns.

Police sources say the makeshift weapons are often a result of a heavy police presence in certain areas or a push to keep guns off the streets. Last year, for instance, knives and other sharp objects were the weapon of choice in 125 slayings, up 50 percent compared to 83 such killings in 2007. Gun murders, meanwhile, dropped to 292 last year, from 347 the year before.
    But knives, or at least razor blades, are much easier to hide. An unofficial missive making its way around a number of precincts shows how easy it is to hide a razor blade in the battery compartment of a T-Mobile Sidekick and other devices, in the narrow space between the back cover and battery.

A spokesperson for T-Mobile could not be reached for comment Monday night.

Another warning concerns the seizure of a stun gun cell phone, sources say. The improvised weapon was unlikely to cause much harm, as the jolt was described as low-level.

More formally, an internal memo circulated departmentwide Thursday warns that the hospital meal tray "could pose a threat to police officers, prisoners and hospital staff." The vanity mirror, the memo says, is in a second-level compartment and can pop up for easy use by a patient. Accompanying the memo is a photo of a cracked mirror.

Sgt. Carlos Nieves, a police spokesman, said the memo came after an officer noticed the mirror in the tray and saw the potential threat. "There have been no incidents where an NYPD officer has been assaulted," he added.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    You have got to be kidding me. They actually tried to contact T-Mobile about this "issue"? People have been hiding stuff for years. When I was young and dumb, I used to keep a short piece of bailing wire in my back pocket...it worked great as a handcuff key. I don't even know what this article is targeting. Phones? Razor blades? You can make a weapon out of just about anything. Maybe we need to all live in padded cells where no one can get hurt.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

How about we just ban stupid people, that'll solve all the problems we have with crime, the economy, politics, that moron in front of me on the highway...
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    How is that T-Mobile's problem? What comment did they expect? :We were unaware and will change our design immediately"? What a crock.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Maybe we need to all live in padded cells where no one can get hurt.

Hmmmmmmmm..... If we're not nut's to start with, we will be after that..

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Same arguement the sheep use on guns - they kill people. Guess they don't know that more people are killed each year by automobiles. They also don't think rocks, bats, knives, trees, bicycles, etc, etc., do the same thing.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

NEWSFLASH....

It has recently been discovered that human beings are sometimes gifted with the amazing ability to weaponize anything.

The only way to combat this plague is to ban everything!

OR...we could put murderers to death so we have more room to keep the criminals in jail where they belong.

Joker1

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Take cover he's got a featherduster :) Couldn't resist :)
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Up to the officer to check everything. Everything is either and impact or edged weapon.- George

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Reminds me of a co-worker from years past who didn't want his kids playing with anything that even resembled a gun. One day he found his boys had chewed their toast into a handgun shape and were shooting each other.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    Take cover he's got a featherduster :) Couldn't resist :)
    Hey you can tickle somebody to death or at least til they pee themselves
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    NEWSFLASH....

It has recently been discovered that human beings are sometimes gifted with the amazing ability to weaponize anything.

The only way to combat this plague is to ban everything!

OR...we could put murderers to death so we have more room to keep the criminals in jail where they belong.

Joker1
    Nope. Sorry. We would have to ban EVERYONE.
    Sad. So many people. So few brain cells out there. (not you, Joker, those who contact the cell phone co. expecting them to do something about it).
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    Reminds me of a co-worker from years past who didn't want his kids playing with anything that even resembled a gun. One day he found his boys had chewed their toast into a handgun shape and were shooting each other.
    LOL, I used to do that! Also, paper. When I was ten there were mountains of paper guns on the floor of my room. LOL.
    Ron Paul 2012

There are three kinds of Yankees: Yankees, Damn Yankees, and Floridians

When my wife worked in daycare it was the boys always used Legos to make guns. - George

Exclamation Improvised Weapons...

Hey, it worked for Dillinger !!

SHOOTER13
    ================
    DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links