The Caribina as a defensive weapon?

This is a discussion on The Caribina as a defensive weapon? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I was considering the best hold I could rapidally get on my keys for a defensive punch (having just been given a whole new ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Caribina as a defensive weapon?

The Caribina as a defensive weapon?

Today I was considering the best hold I could rapidally get on my keys for a defensive punch (having just been given a whole new set to take care of at work) when I looked at the light aluminium caribina that attaches my keys to my belt loop, and I had a revelation.

Depending on sizing, a caribina would make an absolutely excellent improvised 'single knuck'. I tested my theory by quickly unhooking it and popping it across the index finger in one movement and then punched an old door. Said door came off with a nasty dent, and my fist was unharmed.

So this got me thinking, what if you went a step further and designed a knuck that was an integral component of the caribina, and hence not noticeable as a weapon?

Any ideas on design improvements here?
    PAX IN BELLO

2. Remove Ads

The old style Omega locking "D" made a great biner - I carried one for years with my keys.

-Oh and I forgot to say that it made a great set of "Knuckles"-
    Live Free or Die

That'd could work if done correctly and is innocuous so as to escape detection. Also, purchase a automobile key blank (the kind with the large plastic grip), have a pattern cut, but slightly sharpen it to a subtle point. if you hold the key, with the point upward from your palm and then closing your fist on it, you have an improvised stabbing tool if needed.

I used to rock climb, and always kept one of these in my pockets:

http://store.karstsports.com/bldilidca.html

and kept one clipped to the rear view mirror.

Hate to say this but it's already been done. I saw one recently. http://www.botac.com/kejecakn.html But this is a "non load bearing" tool, so don't try to do any rapelling!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    Check out this site. Some of these are not light aluminum.

http://www.kong.it/

This is one from Bonaiti. It is over 30 years old and weighs in at about 24 oz. It would be a great key ring or you could hold the keys and swing 24 ounces of steel. Not bad as knucks either.

George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    That George would be one mother of a key ring
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I carry a large number of keys (mum's place, dad's place, my place, train station, security doors, toilet lock ups, track signalling swith keys, car keys etc etc) all on seperate rings, but not even I could justify something that enormous!!
    PAX IN BELLO

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by disko
    I carry a large number of keys (mum's place, dad's place, my place, train station, security doors, toilet lock ups, track signalling swith keys, car keys etc etc) all on seperate rings, but not even I could justify something that enormous!!
    Check out the Kong site anyway. They either merged with or bought Bonaiti and have dozens of sizes and weights. I also have a couple of Wyott 72 caribiners. They are oval shaped and weigh about 1/2 what the Bonaiti does.

If you really wanted to use something that size for a keychain you might use a leather strap between the caribiner and the ring the keys are on and use the caribiner as just a way to clip to your belt. Several companies make keychains similar to this. See the attachments for examples. Would make a very useful keychain and could replace the Romatron you asked about in another thread if you used the keyring and keys as a handle to swing with.
    Attached Images
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    That George would be one mother of a key ring
    Chris, I tell people that I have never had an original thought, but if you will provide the idea I can improve it. When Disko asked about the caribiner I pictured in my mind the big D ring with a strong braided leather strap with a 1.25" ring at the other end. Very useful. You could hood the caribiner to a belt loop, you could tuck the caribiner into your belt like many mentioned in the thread http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=8153. And you have knucks and if you hold the keyring and leather strap you can swing it as a sap. I do not want to get hit with a 24 oz. steel D ring no matter how you use it.
    George

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Hey guys,......wait a minute. First.......slip a beaner onto your hand the way you imagine it to punch/strike with. Get an old phone book that's 2" thick or so and punch it about 10 times(only). Let me know how your knucks feel. The beaner will not stay centered in your fist nor will it stay upright. Especially with a roundhouse,cross,or uppercut. It's hard even with a jab.If you tear your hands up first thing,hope your legs are in good shape.

Now if you want to swing the beaner on a length of twine,rope,or chain,that would be different.

How 'bout this. Have keys/keyring on beaner clipped to your ??. This will look unthreatening enough. Then carry a loop of paracord about 8-12 inches in diameter in your pocket(this non-threatening also).

Snap the beaner with clump o' keys to para. and have some fun. Now I know that this will not be the fastest thing to get into action,nor will it be the greatest thing for very close quarters stuff.

But in last ditch effort would be better than nutin'. Also when you whip that glob o' keys around several times it might make the BG stop and think.

Or...........on the other hand...he might just pull out his gun and shoot you!

Better just stick to firearms. --------

Lead Moderator
    never thought of that, I carry a key chain size 'biner on my keys too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Hey guys,......wait a minute. First.......slip a beaner onto your hand the way you imagine it to punch/strike with. Get an old phone book that's 2" thick or so and punch it about 10 times(only). Let me know how your knucks feel. The beaner will not stay centered in your fist nor will it stay upright. Especially with a roundhouse,cross,or uppercut. It's hard even with a jab.If you tear your hands up first thing,hope your legs are in good shape.
    You are right, you would only want to use a caribiner as knucks for one punch. The best case after that is that the BG is down or running. Otherwise you need to be swinging that thing at the end of something. The reason Disko is so interested in alternative weapons is that he lives in Australia - no firearms available to him legally.
    George

I've thought about using a 'biner on my keys but discarded the idea for a few reasons. 1) I could legally carry a Kubaton or a Keating-Stinger if I wanted to. 2) I don't like having a lot of crap on my keychain. and 3) I don't personally care for the idea of using my keys or anything attached to them as a weapon. I don't want to take a chance on losing my keys in the midst of an altercation (kinda blows the whole "escape" thing if you can't find them very quickly). I also would prefer something more effective than the keys/keychain attachments anyway so I'd probably end up dropping them to draw something else. (not that hitting someone with a kubaton or whatever wouldn't be extremely effective, but it's not as easy to handle those things when there's a wad of keys stuck to one end)
    I prefer to keep my hands unoccupied until I'm actually near my car. when it's cold enough to wear a coat/jacket I carry my keys in the right-hand pocket. Coincidentally, I have a knife in the same pocket so I can grab the knife instead of the keys if necessary. This also makes for a great "covert" draw. For example, I get out of my car only to see someone who looks suspicious. At this point I might jingle or twirl my keys once or twice so it's obvious that I've got them, then I'll put them in my pocket but leave my hand in the pocket. Totally innocent and non-threatening. I actually did this a couple of weeks ago at a gas-station when some guy started bothering me for money (he left when I told him politely but firmly that I didn't have any cash).
    When it's warm I just loop the door-unlocker-button-thingy in my pocket which of course leaves my hand(s) free to draw one of my other toys.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    10-4 disko's 10-20. For the people in some of the countries where they have been almost completely disarmed I like to consider ya'll akin to us here continuously going through the TSA thing at the airport.

We in the U.S.A. know how the TSA agents view the little goodies that we all carry. The agents try their best to make little things into a death weilding terriost weapon.Going thru the line we,US citizens, are guilty until we prove ourselves innocent.I figure the things that would pass a TSA inspection here, would pass the LEO inspection in countries like Australia and the UK.

Up until about 2 years ago I traveled quite a bit. I used to take with me little trinkets and gadgets that would do in a pinch. Only difference is, you guys need to figure this out before you step outside your residence.

With respect,i feel sorry for you guys. I would very much like to feel the the United States will never get like this. But sadly I can't. Good luck to us all. ---------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links