Noob knife question(s)

Noob knife question(s)

This is a discussion on Noob knife question(s) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have carried pocket knives since I was twelve years old. Never thought of a pocket knife as a tool of self defense, just as ...

Thread: Noob knife question(s)

Noob knife question(s)

I have carried pocket knives since I was twelve years old. Never thought of a pocket knife as a tool of self defense, just as a daily tool. I have been reading Oklahoma laws regarding knives and have come to the conclusion that Oklahoma legislature never really came to a conclusion regarding knife regulations. Their laws are very foggy and wordy. For the most part, I am not worried because I don't carry any double sided, spring assisted, butterfly, etc. Just normal 3 inch, maybe 3.5 inch folders.

My real question is: to what extent are Oklahoma citizens entitled to regarding SD with the use of a pocket knife?
    I ask this because to carry a gun in OK, a person needs a license. No license is necessary for a knife. So when a law-abiding citizen shoots a threat, it seems to me that he would have a better chance in court than a law abiding citizen that fatally cut an attacker.

I am not asking these questions so that I can feel better about using my little folders as a weapon, I have had no such training. So I will live with the fact that I do not have the weapon advantage over any attacker and avoid any and all confrontations if at all possible.

So going on with my question, can a person that does not own a gun, use a knife legally for self defense against an unarmed attacker (who is a legitimate threat)? We'll say to simple the scenario, a house intruder. Intruder identified, warned, and has no intent on peacefully leaving. Again has nothing but his body to threaten the home-owner with.

I'd put the word "oklahoma" in the title to your thread somewhere. . . that way if someone in OK is browsing the forums they'll be much more likely to read through your questions and offer an answer. . . "targeted advertising", if you will.

VIP Member
    Self defense is always legal justification - any time - any where (that no man is above the law). Prove the imminent threat to your life and limb, and you have justification for self defense. Gun and knife are both lethal weapons. Presenting either one in the context of a threat is a legal matter. Threat, response, outcome should have a review in a legal arena. Justification of the use of lethal force as a necessary means of self defense is the big question - not the weapon. I don't have any experience with these matters, but threat is threat and self defense is self defense.
    CCW isn't worth a dime when it comes to self defense. It just makes it convenient for us in the mean time.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

thanks guys

It depends on the totality of the circumstances:)

Sponsored Links