Monkey fist keychain

This is a discussion on Monkey fist keychain within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So ive been wanting a monkey fist keychain for awhile now. I just thought they looked neat. Me and my girfriend were at a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monkey fist keychain

Monkey fist keychain

So ive been wanting a monkey fist keychain for awhile now. I just thought they looked neat. Me and my girfriend were at a gun show last weekend and saw some so she got me one. I had no idea these things had a steel ball in them. I thought it was just a knot. Anyway the guy selling it was talking about using it as a weapon. What do you guys think? It may make somebody mad but i dont know about stopping them. Maybe if you hit them in the head a couple of times?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
    So ive been wanting a monkey fist keychain for awhile now. I just thought they looked neat. Me and my girfriend were at a gun show last weekend and saw some so she got me one. I had no idea these things had a steel ball in them. I thought it was just a knot. Anyway the guy selling it was talking about using it as a weapon. What do you guys think? It may make somebody mad but i dont know about stopping them. Maybe if you hit them in the head a couple of times?

I wouldn't want to be hit with one. Check your state and local laws. It may not be legal to carry. Many states prohibit "slung shot."
    If you just want a cool keychain, you could get a monkey's fist with a lightweight wooden ball as a core.

Never heard of them...got a pic or a link?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They do look slick. We have a member here who does para cord lanyards and such, his website showcases a couple; I just forget who it is.

I think it would be a good asset, especially if you can lengthen the carry part when you need to deploy, but keep the ball in place.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Monkey Fists are neat. I just found this video on how to tie one :
    YouTube - How to tie a Monkey's Fist

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    They do look slick. We have a member here who does para cord lanyards and such, his website showcases a couple; I just forget who it is.

I think it would be a good asset, especially if you can lengthen the carry part when you need to deploy, but keep the ball in place.
    Check with George.

MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Self Defense Training for Civilians, Military and Law Enforcement Agencies - Open Hand, Stick, Knife and Pistol
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Prettu cool,and yes it would hurt,the cord may soften the impact a smidgeon but that weight-velocity-thingy would =ouch
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

I'm with you. I did a search and found some pics but am confused on deployment as a keychain, or weapon for the matter.

MT
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

Steps in the stripping of State's Rights/Sovereignty
    1. War of Northern Agression 2. Coersion to ratify the 14th Amendment 3. Ratified 17th Amendment

VIP Member
    We learned how to tie them in the Navy........

They were used as heaving lines.

If you want to use one for defense, put a large marble or ball bearing in the center & tie it around.....that will give it the heft & support for the core.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Why don't you just hit 'em with your...keys? Sharp, edgy, metal, weighty & no potential legal issues.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Heres a link. There are several on the web. The "ball" end is tied around a steel ball making it heavy. You can also get them made with a wooden ball (lighter) or something that floats for like your boat keys i guess.

Monkey Fist Knot Keychain, Handles, Zipper Pulls

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Why don't you just hit 'em with your...keys? Sharp, edgy, metal, weighty & no potential legal issues.
    I assume you could hold the ball end and hit them with the key end. Either way would work.

I have a better idea. Save the monkey fist, in case you need some emergency parachute cord while camping, and hit them with your gun.

I assume you could hold the ball end and hit them with the key end
    Then why would the ball end need to be hard & heavy (marble or ball-bearing interior)? I learned to tie a Monkey Fist when I was a young. We made Bolos with golfballs inside the knots. Dropping a fast-running cousin at 15-20 yards grew to be easy. But getting dropped was always hard...on the shins!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

There doesn't seem to be a big difference between a Monkey Fist and a Blackjack in my book and in many states Blackjacks are not legal.

Blackjacks (basically lead balls or lumps attached to a flexible grip, usually leather wrapped) have been removed from use by most police agencies since the seventies. A solid head strike can easily be fatal and most strikes on bone break the bone. Delivering a head strike could be considered using deadly force by a prosecuting attorney.

There might be a few LEO's out there that have experience with the old Leather ball on a spring type blackjack and I am sure they will testify to how a solid blow easily breaks bones and penetrates skulls. Deadly weapon in my opinion.

Just making one in CA ( Yeah... I hate to use California as an example but many state have similar laws) is illegal:
    California Penal Code 12020:
    (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following
    is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year
    or in the state prison:

(1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the
    state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives,
    lends, or possesses any cane gun or wallet gun, any undetectable
    firearm, ... or any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a
    blackjack, slungshot, billy, sandclub, sap, or sandbag.

I am sure we would all have enough BS to put up with in the event of a LEGAL SD shooting but I hate to imagine trying to explain to a jury what happened if I maimed or killed someone with a weapon similar to what many police departments have banned from use.

Just my 2 cents on monkey fists, coshs or other weapons.

bosco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links