Knife Tactics - Black Belt Magazine

This is a discussion on Knife Tactics - Black Belt Magazine within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Part one of a two part article on knife tactics is in the September issue of Black Belt Magazine (on newsstands now). It's written by ...

Thread: Knife Tactics - Black Belt Magazine

Knife Tactics - Black Belt Magazine

Part one of a two part article on knife tactics is in the September issue of Black Belt Magazine (on newsstands now). It's written by Michael Janich with a focus on the system he developed, Martial Blade Concepts.

Full disclosure...I'm an MBC practitioner and instructor so of course I'm pleased to see the system getting this type of exposure.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Here's the video content from Black Belt Mag.

Black Belt Magazine
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    One interesting thing I saw was the palm up use of the top arm to protect the vessels of the inner wrist and the flexors in case of ye olde porkchop when going in. I would certainly be interested in seeing some more of this method.

njr
    I bought Janich's book on Knife Fighting and appreciated it's straightforward approach.

I thought the section on anatomy could've been done better with a full page diagram of the body with major vessels, etc. However, his run down of where to strike and what would happen were much appreciated.

Today, I took an intro-ish class at a studio in the Chicagoland area that also offers Systema. From what I could tell, our instructor was using a Filipino system with elements from Al McLuckie.

It was an interesting class, lasted an hour, but don't really ask me to tell you what I learned there, 'cos I think I'd need hundreds of hours to really know this stuff well enough. It was a good illustration of how deadly a knife could be- I'm not very extensively trained, but I "killed" my partner with about two moves.
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

VIP Member
    Very nice. I like the way that moves so smoothly into the arm bar and take down.
    I was taught to do an X block and disarm, then use the knife on the opponent, but I like the way this gives you the ability to move back for drawing the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    One interesting thing I saw was the palm up use of the top arm to protect the vessels of the inner wrist and the flexors in case of ye olde porkchop when going in. I would certainly be interested in seeing some more of this method.
    A lot of the high checking (defending against zone 1 & 2 attacks) is done with the outside of the forearm, palm up using what is sometimes referred to as a waiters block, the rational being if in the process of blocking the attacker drawcuts he cuts the more expendable extensor tendons. Ideally you want to avoid being cut but it's better to have the outside forearm cut rather than the flexor tendons (that allow you to grasp) and major blood vessels located in the inner forearm.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Just read the article. Seems like a pretty straight-forward concept with strong background in the Filipino and Indonesian arts. I can certainly see learning a few good tricks and some excellent knowledge coming from a well-taught course of this system.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    straight-forward concept with strong background in the Filipino and Indonesian arts...
    In addition to the Filipino and Indonesian influence there is the influence of U.S. edge weapons experts liking James Keating. I think Janich's genius, in addition to being a tremendous practioner, has been his ability to take the core elements from these many influences and develop a system that teaches the fundamental aspects of edged weapons self-defense in a logical, linear, progressive fashion, allowing an individual to obtain a level of functional proficiency in a relatively short amount of time.

I've seen some short video clips of MBC stuff. Looks interesting. I'll have to take a class sometime.

Here is a video presentation on the Black Belt website that covers some of the material in part 1 of the article (knife targeting):

Black Belt Magazine

Links