Truck Safety Knife?

This is a discussion on Truck Safety Knife? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Trident SOG with tanto blade. Other posters have said that manual blade is preferable to spring assist. I like the knife b/c ...

Thread: Truck Safety Knife?

Truck Safety Knife?

I have a Trident SOG with tanto blade. Other posters have said that manual blade is preferable to spring assist.

I like the knife b/c of the handle and for the seatbelt cutter, which makes it good for those who might argue it's a weapon vs a safety tool (I live in an urban area of IL).

The clip isn't the best glass breaker, but I'm told that it works, and the knife is carried by EMTs, I'm told.

One other consideration is that the blade is approx 3.5 inches which the state statute defines as over the limit in a sense, but my understanding is that IL law is intent based: as long as you're not assaulting, robbing, etc. you're generally okay just carrying it, or even if you should need it for self defense.

The knife I'd really like to get is Cold Steel's AK-47, but that has tactical written all over it, and probably would be more legally risky in urban IL, right? The good thing about this knife is that it has a specially designed pommel which would be great for breaking glass or used as an impact tool.

So, do folks know of other folders that would be good defensively and for extricating oneself from a rollover, etc.?
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

Bertolt Brecht, "To The German Soldiers In The East", stanza 9.

2. Remove Ads

oh, the other issue is tanto vs drop point: I think I may have made a mistake by getting the tanto if I ever had to slash in self defense. Or, is this a marginal difference? The tanto would be better suited to stabbing and withstanding a bone strike, I assume? and would be better in punching through hardened material, right?
    By the forests, behind the guns/In the streets and in the houses/Between the tanks, by the roadside/At the hands of the men, of the women, of the children/In the cold, in the dark, in hunger....

To be honest, an E&E blade is a good bit different than a good defensive-use blade.

Seat-belt cutting is pretty cool, but not generally a necessity. Glass breaking is a challenge, and most people have little idea just how much force is actually required. The SOG is (very, very)unlikely to be up to the task- you'd probably beat it apart, and using it inside the car, you won't be able to generate enough force to break the glass, period.

This is one of the few times I would recommend a S&W knife. Benchmade also makes a dedicated tool. The spring-loaded CP is the way to go.

Merlos Cutlery - BENCHMADE ERT-1

Smith & Wesson Knife Selection | BladeOps.com

An E&E tool can be banded to the driver's seatbelt, or attached with industrial Velcro to the door pocket or dash.

The CS AK is a respectable defensive knife. Lots of people like them.

Exclamation Sold me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    Merlos Cutlery - BENCHMADE ERT-1

Smith & Wesson Knife Selection | BladeOps.com

An E&E tool can be banded to the driver's seatbelt, or attached with industrial Velcro to the door pocket or dash.

The CS AK is a respectable defensive knife. Lots of people like them.
    I love that ERT-1 and I'm going to buy one or more. I haven't really seen that before, except a version that the military uses.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    If you go through Virginia, make sure yours is not like a dirk, bowie knife, ballistic knife, machete, switchblade or boxcutter. All of those, as well as everything like them (incl. gravity and assisted) will get you twelve months in jail plus a 2500 dollar fine for carrying a concealed weapon - and a handgun permit won't get you out of it. And yes, I said, "boxcutter", as ridiculous as that sounds, as well as everything like a boxcutter, such as a single-edged razor type window scraper.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Ebay has the ert-1 for $30 shipping included.

That's a bummer re VA and spring assist. So I guess the Trident would be out...

I have a mini-griptilian which is really sweet but I regret not getting the full size for jeans carry. They wouldn't call the axis lock a gravity knife in VA, would they?

Question What if...

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    If you go through Virginia, make sure yours is not like a dirk, bowie knife, ballistic knife, machete, switchblade or boxcutter. All of those, as well as everything like them (incl. gravity and assisted) will get you twelve months in jail plus a 2500 dollar fine for carrying a concealed weapon - and a handgun permit won't get you out of it. And yes, I said, "boxcutter", as ridiculous as that sounds, as well as everything like a boxcutter, such as a single-edged razor type window scraper.
    You've got a Bowie type knife, but it's just in your vehicle and not in reach rather than on your person? Also what are the rules if you're traveling in an RV that could qualify as a DOMICILE?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

You can use one of the plastic letter opener as a seat belt cutter. The best tool to break a window is a automatic center puch which can be purchased from a good hardware store. I like the one from the Snap-on tool dealer. It looks like a pencil in your pocket. Can be purchased for appx 18.00. In a real pinch you can unscrew the car antena, place your hand appx 8 inches from the end (close your eyes) and pull it back and let it fly. Hit the corners of the glass.

Links