justification for lethal force with knife????

This is a discussion on justification for lethal force with knife???? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty In Tx I would say finish the threat,you are in a life or death battle and during the dfight he was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: justification for lethal force with knife????

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In Tx I would say finish the threat,you are in a life or death battle and during the dfight he was stabbed with his own knife
    I think that this is the correct answer for TX...or FL.
    If I'm attacked, and end up with the BG's knife, I'm not asking if he would like to stop now...?????

The response must be quick, violent, and without mercy. OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Agree, nothing like taking out a shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    My experience is that most "disarms" lean towards controlling the weapon arm and using the manipulation of that limb to cause the removal of the weapon as a threat. While going for the weapon isn't bad, I have often thought during such drills that if your assailant is already getting the good news via joint/limb manipulation (grappling and/or striking) then you might as well just get to banging and/or cranking until they're a non-threat instead of potentially giving up a position of dominance to get your hands on their weapon for your own use.
    Now that I think about it, I see what you are saying. There's nothing like taking out a shoulder, cracking a head on the sidewalk, to send a message. Still, if it doesn't work your BG is holding the knife. I guess you just have to practice all the skills and hope you never ever have to make a real world decision.

VIP Member

Retsupt--I like the without mercy part but...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I think that this is the correct answer for TX...or FL.
    If I'm attacked, and end up with the BG's knife, I'm not asking if he would like to stop now...?????

The response must be quick, violent, and without mercy. OMO
    I like the without mercy part, but wouldn't be too thrilled with being charged for murder. It is a dilemma, and though I am old and sick, I am very fortunate that I can still work on martial arts skills; which satisfy my deep dark sadistic pleasures.

While we are wandering off topic, I really think that for those able to put lots of time and effort into these skills, they could save you from having to use a gun.

For the first half year after I was retired I was busy with a house full of decades old honey-dos. Then, I sat around getting bored as a teenager at the opera. A few weeks ago I was dozing off and the idea that I needed to resume my martial arts work crossed my mind.

Now, at least I have something fun to do 3 times a week and I think the hiatus from my previous lessons has allowed some of the stuff to sort of work around in my sub-conscious, so now it is all coming back rapidly. The only hitch, I'm too old to play in a class with kiddos or college aged studs, so I'm paying through the nose for one on one private lessons. All the better for my progress.

Starting in Corrections back in the Stone Age I fear knives more than guns.

The thing about a gunfight is, you may get shot. In a knifefight you WILL get cut.

Biker

VIP Member

Last thing you ever want to happen

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Starting in Corrections back in the Stone Age I fear knives more than guns.

The thing about a gunfight is, you may get shot. In a knifefight you WILL get cut.

Biker
    Yup, and very scary. It is the last thing you want to happen. And, some folks are really skilled and very fast. It would take extraordinary luck to avoid getting hurt.

VIP Member
    Simple solution...once you take the knife away from him...step back a few feet...toss it to him... draw and shoot....

In Tx, you won't be charged... You have met lethal force with the same, by stabbing him with his own knife... now if you stab him 37 times, that's a little harder to justify.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    Simple solution...once you take the knife away from him...step back a few feet...toss it to him... draw and shoot....

In Tx, you won't be charged... You have met lethal force with the same, by stabbing him with his own knife... now if you stab him 37 times, that's a little harder to justify.
    Sir, we have a few questions about why your fingerprints are all over the weapon your assailant was using. Can you please come with us to the station?

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    In my opinion a knife disarm is going to be incidental to controling the limb welding the weapon and/or otherwise doing damage to the attacker. If you bounce the attackers head off a wall, table, car or other object of opportunity you may very well get a disarm.
    Except that many of the best leverage limb manipulations of the arm for bouncing people off of random hard things also make it hard for you to release your grip on anything in your hand.
    I'll admit that it's kind of funny from our mental image standpoint to imagine yelling, "Release the knife!" over and over as you ricochet your assailant off of cars, tables, walls, etc until they fall unconscious (and not die because it is fantasy here) because they really can't let go of the weapon. That said, it's not so funny from a legal standpoint when they start counting the bloody smears off of the 12 random hard things your assailant bounced off of when you could have had them done and planted with a simple sweep or takedown after, say, collision one or two (if not right at your feet in the first place).

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Except that many of the best leverage limb manipulations of the arm for bouncing people off of random hard things also make it hard for you to release your grip on anything in your hand.
    I'll admit that it's kind of funny from our mental image standpoint to imagine yelling, "Release the knife!" over and over as you ricochet your assailant off of cars, tables, walls, etc until they fall unconscious (and not die because it is fantasy here) because they really can't let go of the weapon. That said, it's not so funny from a legal standpoint when they start counting the bloody smears off of the 12 random hard things your assailant bounced off of when you could have had them done and planted with a simple sweep or takedown after, say, collision one or two (if not right at your feet in the first place).
    If it takes bouncing him of 12 random things you're not bouncing hard enough :).

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    If it takes bouncing him of 12 random things you're not bouncing hard enough :).
    Well, I've never been in a position where random things were either easier to utilize or handier via position than the very specific things that I prefer to bounce people off of and/or bounce off of people that are connected to my immediate person. You have obviously been in the exact opposite of this situation.

Kudos, sir.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links