Texas knife law?

This is a discussion on Texas knife law? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 64zebra I've encountered them several times, most were cheap pieces of junk and person was told they were illegal, etc, told them ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas knife law?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I've encountered them several times, most were cheap pieces of junk and person was told they were illegal, etc, told them to get rid of it

I've only arrested once and that was because she lied about her name since she thought she had warrants....ended up not having warrants and I hooked her up for carrying the switchblade, her second offense, oh...original stop was for soliciting prostitution
    in Texas? i guess we'v got some dangerous prostitutes lol

2. Remove Ads

Car Carry

I've just returned to the country...I mean state of my birth and I'm checking out the laws. So, I'm ok with my Australian hardwood club and Boker Plus knife with blade a tad over 7" in my car?

If I'm attacked am I legal immediately outside my car or do I need to drag the attacker inside while we tussle?

Quote Originally Posted by zenman View Post
    I've just returned to the country...I mean state of my birth and I'm checking out the laws. So, I'm ok with my Australian hardwood club and Boker Plus knife with blade a tad over 7" in my car?

If I'm attacked am I legal immediately outside my car or do I need to drag the attacker inside while we tussle?
    if you are being attacked, it does not matter what you use to defend yourself. the blade limit is for carrying the knife on your person. you are fine with a 7" blade in your car. just dont go walking around with it.

off body

please help clarify my understanding:

a: is not "in vehicle" typically interpreted as "on your person/possession" due to "ease of access" (such as having a hunting or ka-bar type knife (over the size limit basically)anywhere in the cabin of car, or pretty much anywhere in an SUV) & thus illegal?

b: how would something such as a camp ax, sharpened shovel, i.e. cold steel spec forces shovel (ever had to get your vehicle out of panhandle mud? :P ), etc. in vehicle trunk or other area, or while engaging in camping (engaging in hunting is it's own definition different from camping activity if I am correct)?

c: concealed (on person) makes no difference as long as knife fits legal limits?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calam View Post
    please help clarify my understanding:

a: is not "in vehicle" typically interpreted as "on your person/possession" due to "ease of access" (such as having a hunting or ka-bar type knife (over the size limit basically)anywhere in the cabin of car, or pretty much anywhere in an SUV) & thus illegal?

b: how would something such as a camp ax, sharpened shovel, i.e. cold steel spec forces shovel (ever had to get your vehicle out of panhandle mud? :P ), etc. in vehicle trunk or other area, or while engaging in camping (engaging in hunting is it's own definition different from camping activity if I am correct)?

c: concealed (on person) makes no difference as long as knife fits legal limits?
    A) Longer than 5.5" blade length anywhere in your car is fine, just not on your person as you're walking around. It really is that simple. Don't over-think it.

B) Anything on this list can be considered "reasonable use" if used as such. Walking around with a sharpened shovel that screams, "I stab people!" on your shoulder might get some unwanted attention, but this is Texas. There's a decent chance that people just won't give a rip other than wondering where the hole is going to be.

C) As long as it's not a dagger, dirk, Bowie knife, tomahawk, etc. as listed in the law in question.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippersnappe View Post
    As a proud new resident of TX, I am trying to learn about weapon laws in this state. I am an avid knife collector who lives in the Houston area, I frequntly travel to Dallas. I sometimes travel with my collection which consits of an Automatic Boker, as well as a few Tanto's. I have to assume the Boker is illegal (prohibited) and the Tanto's, with the top 1" portion of the blade being sharp, would be considered a "double edge"? I obvisouly do not carry on person the Boker Automatic, but I have from time to time carried my Tanto's. Am I breaking the law? The Tanto's blades are under 5 1/2"
    Howdy neighbor Welcome to DC!
    Andy
    You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas - David Crockett
    When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

I know this is an older post but I have been carrying a Zero Tolerance 0300. It has the assisted opening. Is that legal or not to carry having the assisted opening?

Here is a picture and description
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-0300--3140

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan117 View Post
    I know this is an older post but I have been carrying a Zero Tolerance 0300. It has the assisted opening. Is that legal or not to carry having the assisted opening?

Here is a picture and description
    http://www.bladehq.com/item--Zero-Tolerance-0300--3140
    Assisted opening in perfectly legal here in Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Assisted opening in perfectly legal here in Texas.
    Thank you sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Nor swords, which some other Alamo defenders presumably carried.
    How do cut the birthday cake on 10 November??? That's right down Un-American!! We aren'r suppose to have even micro sized pocket knives at work but, they allowed us a sword on 10 November.

I've encountered them several times, most were cheap pieces of junk and person was told they were illegal, etc, told them to get rid of it

I've only arrested once and that was because she lied about her name since she thought she had warrants....ended up not having warrants and I hooked her up for carrying the switchblade, her second offense, oh...original stop was for soliciting prostitution
    Was her last name Bobbit?

Do you think a judge would actually issue a search warrant for someone suspected of owning a switchblade in their primary residence? There have been several stores over the last few years selling them here in Colorado over the counter. LEOs frequented the establishments and didn't seem to care. I was told by a guy at Bass Pro Shop that a DPD LEO said you have to be dancing naked on a table at Village Inn swinging the knife before they would give it a second thought as to weather it was too long, switchblade , etc. Of course this is about 4th hand hersay. I did hear of a DPD LEO that arrested and confiscated a Spyderco Civilian from someone for having an illegal style blade (wonder where the LEO found that law certainly not CRS or DRS) it is however longer than 3.5" which is the Denver limit. He was stopped late at night for suspecion of DUI and was not drinking. This is also his story, he was let go by the DA but they kept the knife.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Was her last name Bobbit?
    believe me...........I erased everything about her from my memory....especially since she plead out on the charge......I don't want to remember anything about her, name included
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

conceal carry knives

Rexter, I'll save him the time looking it up............

Depends on what the "little" fixed blade boot or neck knife are exactly.
    Illegal knife carry is under the same provisions as carrying a handgun without a CHL. You may carry one under the same conditions/places that you can carry a handgun without the CHL (also for carrying a club/asp/baton):
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

for definition:
    6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

then there's the prohibited weapons, prohibited weapons are NO-NOs anywhere
    Sec. 46.05. PROHIBITED WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:
    (5) a switchblade knife

definition of switchblade:
    Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
    (11) "Switchblade knife" means any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force.

so you may have a boot or neck knife as long as its not a switchblade, not a double edge, not an obvious throwing knife, and not longer than 5 1/2 inches
    that leaves a lot of options for carrying a blade, there are a ton of them out there

ok so if im understanding this right it is legal to conceal carry a fixed blade single sided knife if the overall blade length is under 5.5 inches according to state law correct
    Last edited by totoughtodie; December 22nd, 2013 at 02:00 PM. Reason: miss spelling

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by totoughtodie View Post
    ok so if im understanding this right it is legal to conceal carry a fixed blade single sided knife if the overall blade length is under 5.5 inches according to state law correct
    You can carry it concealed or in a sheath on your belt in plain view, there is no distinction between concealed or open in the law

And our switchblade provision was removed during this last legislative session, so they are legal to carry if no more than 5.5" and are single sided blades
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links