Texas knife law?

This is a discussion on Texas knife law? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jonconsiglio Since Texas law states 5.5 for folders and 4.5 for fixed blades, I thought that would overrule city ordinances? Corpus tried ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas knife law?

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    Since Texas law states 5.5 for folders and 4.5 for fixed blades, I thought that would overrule city ordinances? Corpus tried something like 3.5 inches for folders, but they had to remove the ordinance for whatever reason.
    4.5" for fixed blades? Where?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Thanks for the info. guys...my visits to San Antonio are usually to visit friends in the outlying suburbs. I'll have to remember this next time I visit. Of course being a older gray haired guy has it's benefits at times...
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Sooooo you can't carry a Bowie Knife in Texas,where Jim Bowie died at the Alamo in San Antonio
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

A Simple Fix

For everywhere else in Texas where state law trumps local, I've elected to carry a Benchmade 610 Rukus.

After doing some initial research I figured either go hard or go home since I'm pretty restricted in my current occupations on where I can carry my 1911.
    My other supplemental defense is a SureFire E2D LED Defender.

I did notice that if whipped with appropriate force my folder's blade had enough mass to overcome the AXIS lock that keeps it closed.

That's where #10 TORX and LockTite comes in... and after some simple tuning and a few drops of BreakFree CLP my Rukus keeps it's blade closed even under "gravity" and only opens with sufficient force to the thumb studs.
    Oh, and it opens faster than Auto-AXIS.

A simple fix for a potentially awkward problem.

Hope this gives you guys some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Sooooo you can't carry a Bowie Knife in Texas,where Jim Bowie died at the Alamo in San Antonio
    Nor swords, which some other Alamo defenders presumably carried.

VIP Member
    Since Texas law states 5.5 for folders and 4.5 for fixed blades, I thought that would overrule city ordinances? Corpus tried something like 3.5 inches for folders, but they had to remove the ordinance for whatever reason.
    incorrect info
    there is no distinction in Texas law for folders vs fixed blade
    its 5 1/2 inches blade length period

from the penal code:

for definition:
    6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by fm2 View Post
    I agree it should be a CWP.

There are fixed blade knives you can carry (as long as they aren't listed under "illegal weapon",like double edged...) and that's a good thing.

A small fixed blade knife is not an option for folks in other states.
    whats wrong w/a double edge knife?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Pretty strange laws (knife laws) and especially in TX...another reason to love the GunShine State...no such laws here.
    you said it ret, these knife laws here are a pain.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

The laws here are just contradictory and confusing, and just to add to the confusion, are not cosistantly enforced (So what's new?). It's been my experience that very much depends upon the mood and personal attitudes of the officer you're dealing with. Law enforcement pretty much has free reign to do as they see fit here, all you can really do is accept whatever they decide to do with you, and hope the judge is in a better mood when you go before him. The absolute worst thing you can do, is try to explain or show them where or why you think they're wrong, or mention your rights. Personal experience has taught me, we don't really have any rights here. According to the Bexar County Sheriffs Dept. both of these knives are legal whenever the deputy says they are legal, and are illegal whenever the deputy says they are illegal....... That lesson cost me the ZDP Leek on top, and a $500 fine.

Hey all, sorry it took me so long to reply here on what I posted about 4.5" for the fixed blades, we just had our second child...

I thought it odd too and never saw it anywhere in the codes, but when I was speaking with the local PD about some other stuff I asked about knife laws here in Corpus since apparently there's a 3" or less ordinance here in Corpus and I carry a Strider SNG cc (now usually a Small Sebebnza or RAT Izula).

They said it's fine here at 5.5" even though there's still some sort of ordinance when looking online for the local laws and 4.5" on fixed blades. I've never seen this anywhere else, but according to them, it's a state law.

No big deal to me since nothing I'd carry is bigger than 4", but still nice to know..

Here's a few links for State knife laws. None of which mention the 4.5" fixed blade limit...

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USKnife.pdf

State Knife Laws, City & County Ordinances - KnifeLawsOnline.com
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

VIP Member
    Hey all, sorry it took me so long to reply here on what I posted about 4.5" for the fixed blades, we just had our second child...

I thought it odd too and never saw it anywhere in the codes, but when I was speaking with the local PD about some other stuff I asked about knife laws here in Corpus since apparently there's a 3" or less ordinance here in Corpus and I carry a Strider SNG cc (now usually a Small Sebebnza or RAT Izula).

They said it's fine here at 5.5" even though there's still some sort of ordinance when looking online for the local laws and 4.5" on fixed blades. I've never seen this anywhere else, but according to them, it's a state law.

No big deal to me since nothing I'd carry is bigger than 4", but still nice to know..

Here's a few links for State knife laws. None of which mention the 4.5" fixed blade limit...

CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!!!

there is nothing in the state statutes about 4.5", only that a LEGAL knife has a blade length limit of 5.5", if a LEO told you the 4.5" thing was a state law....they need a Penal Code refresher course
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've found that the PD is usually the last place to call about the laws.. I'm interested in looking more in to this though.

Thanks! Our son is 7 days old today. This is our second and much rougher than the first. My wife has some serious bleeding after the c-section and almost needed emergency surgery, so it was also pretty stressful.
    Proven combat techniques may not be flashy and may require a bit more physical effort on the part of the shooter. Further, they may not win competition matches, but they will help ensure your survival in a shooting or gunfight on the street. ~Paul Howe

Congratulations on the baby! Prayers up for all of y'all, particularly for your wife's healing.

Quote Originally Posted by realdealhere View Post
    I have my Chl and can carry as many pistols concealed as I can hide and walk with but am subject to arrest for a little fixed blade boot knife, neck knife, etc. Strange but true.
    Negative. As long as it's single edged, go for it.

5.5" is the legal limit on any blade in Texas.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links