Texas knife law?

This is a discussion on Texas knife law? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Keep in mind, ALL lock blade knives are illegal in San Antonio. Carry a fixed blade there....

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas knife law?

Keep in mind, ALL lock blade knives are illegal in San Antonio. Carry a fixed blade there.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Agreed, Harley 55. Post #33 in the thread http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-knife-4.html lists the relevant San Antonio knife prohibitions.

Normal fixed blades with 5.5" or less would seem the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by realdealhere View Post
    I have my Chl and can carry as many pistols concealed as I can hide and walk with but am subject to arrest for a little fixed blade boot knife, neck knife, etc. Strange but true.
    Negative
    Boot knives are normally double edged. That's an illegal knife. Find one not double edged and you're OK.
    What's the issue with neck knives? They are not illegal.

So, can illegal knives be owned, just not carried? A friend owns not only swords but survival knives like double edged Gerber Mark I's and II's. Should I advise him that they be locked up and hidden or shipped out of state?

VIP Member

Yes, I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    So, can illegal knives be owned, just not carried? A friend owns not only swords but survival knives like double edged Gerber Mark I's and II's. Should I advise him that they be locked up and hidden or shipped out of state?
    Almost every knife in the kitchen would technically be illegal if carried, so yes, illegal knives can be owned, just not carried. I have an old hunting knife in the house--- actually was able to take it to school and play with it and show it off in 6th grade back then, in NYC. No one called the cops. Nice knife with bone handle and a smaller knife as part of the set. It wouldn't be legal to have it on my person today, not in Texas.

I have a "diver's tool" that must be 10 inches long and weighs about 3 lbs. I could probably throw it through my walls in break the exterior brick as well. It just isn't something that is going to be in the passenger compartment of my car.

The knife and other non-firearm weapon laws are way too vague. We just had a thread about pepper spray and quantity. There's a variety of martial arts goodies that are "sports equipment" but technically not legal; "it all depends" is a lousy way for the law to be. E.g., Rattan sticks for Modern Arnis are "sports equipment," but best kept in the trunk and wrapped in something that hides their "bat" like qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    Moreover, a wide range of knives, including fixed blades, are perfectly legal in many places where you cannot carry a handgun with your CHL. You must, of course, respect "house rules" and other wishes of the owners of private property, or be subject to arrest for trespassing.

Pay attention to what makes a knife illegal in Texas, such as blade length, and having more than one sharpened edge. Actually, the Penal Code does not specifically mention how many edges may be sharpened, but an appeals court ruled, in a DFW case, that if the back edge is sharpened, that makes the blade a dagger. The knife in question had the rear edge sharpened for one inch of its length, for what that is worth. Sorry, I cannot cite the case. I lost the link when a previous computer bit the dust.

Really, Texas is a paradise for those of us who like single-edged fixed blades of moderate size. It is folders that get you in trouble, as quirky DAs interpret such terms as "switchblade" and "gravity knife" within their jurisdictions, and places such as San Antonio prohibit knives with blades that lock in the open position.
    There was a Federal law that should clear some of this up. It was passed unanimously and sign by President Obama. They said that assited open and one handers are not switchblades. It is not a preemption law but defines at a Federal level switchblades. It keeps DHS from stopping importing those blades. However, most states take a lead from Federal law for definitions.

Quote Originally Posted by andr0id View Post
    Pretty much owned but not carried. Swords are not a problem for displays, ceremonies, etc. Autos are another story most places. They are illegal at a federal level (to purchase), but legal in many states to even carry.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Pretty much owned but not carried. Swords are not a problem for displays, ceremonies, etc. Autos are another story most places. They are illegal at a federal level (to purchase), but legal in many states to even carry.
    where is this federal law? and how come autos are available for purchase in my local stores and numerous web sites?
    I've not heard of this

Remember, this thread is about Texas knife laws. Everyone keep in mind, Texas has illegal knives and prohibited weapons....two different animals.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...58-post12.html

switchblade (autos) are prohibited weapons and are illegal to have anywhere, illegal knives are legal to have but just not carried on/about our person off your property (or property under your control) or not in your vehicle (or vehicle under your control)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    where is this federal law? and how come autos are available for purchase in my local stores and numerous web sites?
    I've not heard of this

Remember, this thread is about Texas knife laws. Everyone keep in mind, Texas has illegal knives and prohibited weapons....two different animals.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...58-post12.html

switchblade (autos) are prohibited weapons and are illegal to have anywhere, illegal knives are legal to have but just not carried on/about our person off your property (or property under your control) or not in your vehicle (or vehicle under your control)
    So you can not carry a Bowie knife in your car for car defense?
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by searcher 45 View Post
    not what I said, you can carry an illegal knife just as you can carry a handgun without a CHL, same restrictions....on your property/in your car or on property/in car under your control

sorry if this wording was misleading:
    illegal knives are legal to have but just not carried on/about our person off your property (or property under your control) or not in your vehicle (or vehicle under your control)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Good luck trying to convince LEO in Texas that is the law. After being thrown in the pokey, and having your knife confiscated, finally getting out of the pokey ( think 3 days ), and winning in court, and maybe getting your knife back, you may decide to play it safe and carry a 5 1/4" fixed blade or folder ( 5 1/2 is legal, but you can hear under 5 1/2, or have them make you put it across your open palm). With that knife all of the above can still happen, ask me how i know. It seems to be up to LEO descretion at the time what happens. Not the final outcome, but the onset. I for the record have not had any problems after getting older and looking more like a citizen. San Antonio does not like any locking folders, and people say just carry a fixed blade... You will win in the end, but is all the above worth it? Don't get me wrong, there are many fine and knowledgable LEO in Texas, however, some parts are like the wild west or a communist state.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    I've never heard of this situation in San Antonio... Is it a city ordinance?... I've carried lockback knives there for years....
    Here are a few things to help you guys out so you dont get in trouble.

1.San Antonio has a city ordinance making essentially any locking blade knife illegal. Its a bunch of BS.

2. 5.5 inches is the whole blade length not just the sharpened part. Anything past the guard is considered blade.

3. Switchblades are illegal to own period.

4. You can carry a knife in your vehicle that has a blade length of over 5.5 inches as long as is concealed in the vehicle/out of sight. You can not carry a 5.5 inch or longer blade(on your person) in public or inside your vehicle.

5. Double edged knives are illegal to carry on your person in public or your vehicle. That includes knives with a sharpened swedge.

Basically most fixed blade knives can be considered illegal because they fall under the definition of dirk, dagger, bowie knife, or poniard. If a Peace Officer says its illegal you are going to go for a ride and you will spend a fortune trying to clear yourself. The only good thing is most good Peace Officers will let you off with a warning
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

I went through the Alamo not to long ago with my lock back folder not knowing this, now I do. Lots of nice Bowie knives in there on display too. My old arrest years ago for UCW ( unlawful carry of a weopon, which was in the end determined a legal knife ) made getting my CHL very time consuming, had to prove it to DPS, just for the arrest, not a conviction. Did get knife back on that one, they said it hardley ever happens, most are destroyed. Still have it, that was 30 years ago.

Originally Posted by searcher 45

Maybe it's ok under the castle law in your car, but if you do my bet is your gonna be that kind of bird that don't sing. Plus attny fees.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links