Texas knife law? - Page 5

Texas knife law?

This is a discussion on Texas knife law? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 64zebra maybe, maybe not after jury is read/explained this, who knows: PC Sec. 8.06. ENTRAPMENT (a) It is a defense to prosecution ...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas knife law?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    maybe, maybe not
    after jury is read/explained this, who knows:

PC Sec. 8.06. ENTRAPMENT
    (a) It is a defense to prosecution that the actor engaged in the conduct charged because he was induced to do so by a law enforcement agent using persuasion or other means likely to cause persons to commit the offense.

ASH, I like you would never do that to someone and I understand where you're coming from, I deal with these scenarios everyday on the job too
    and I think we are all in agreement that the knife laws in Texas are ridiculous and need serious reworking
    If that aint the truth I dont know what is. If you can get a CCL or are not a convicted felon you should be able to carry any type of knife. Sorry for the previous confusion I think we are headed in the same direction.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    OK I've read all this and agree, there needs to be some changes. Maybe I'm stupid but after reading all this I think I understand that if I am traveling in TX (which I do serveral times a year) and have a 3.5 folding, single edge, assit. opening, lock blade knife in my vehicle (not on me), I am ok any where I go?
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Quote Originally Posted by REVMAN View Post
    OK I've read all this and agree, there needs to be some changes. Maybe I'm stupid but after reading all this I think I understand that if I am traveling in TX (which I do serveral times a year) and have a 3.5 folding, single edge, assit. opening, lock blade knife in my vehicle (not on me), I am ok any where I go?
    You can carry it on your person as long as your not in the San Antonio city limits. I don't know of any other places that have lock blade ordinance.

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    OK thanks
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

As a proud new resident of TX, I am trying to learn about weapon laws in this state. I am an avid knife collector who lives in the Houston area, I frequntly travel to Dallas. I sometimes travel with my collection which consits of an Automatic Boker, as well as a few Tanto's. I have to assume the Boker is illegal (prohibited) and the Tanto's, with the top 1" portion of the blade being sharp, would be considered a "double edge"? I obvisouly do not carry on person the Boker Automatic, but I have from time to time carried my Tanto's. Am I breaking the law? The Tanto's blades are under 5 1/2"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippersnappe View Post
    As a proud new resident of TX, I am trying to learn about weapon laws in this state. I am an avid knife collector who lives in the Houston area, I frequntly travel to Dallas. I sometimes travel with my collection which consits of an Automatic Boker, as well as a few Tanto's. I have to assume the Boker is illegal (prohibited) and the Tanto's, with the top 1" portion of the blade being sharp, would be considered a "double edge"? I obvisouly do not carry on person the Boker Automatic, but I have from time to time carried my Tanto's. Am I breaking the law? The Tanto's blades are under 5 1/2"
    in a short word....yes
    if you are in possession of a switchblad (automatic Boker) anywhere....traveling or in your home....it is illegal, its a prohibited weapon

as for the top edge of the tanto.....that is easily seen as a double edged knife (dagger), and you can have them in your car and on your own property but if you carry one on you in places other than these two then you can get busted for carrying the illegal knife
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

in a short word....yes
    if you are in possession of a switchblad (automatic Boker) anywhere....traveling or in your home....it is illegal, its a prohibited weapon

as for the top edge of the tanto.....that is easily seen as a double edged knife (dagger), and you can have them in your car and on your own property but if you carry one on you in places other than these two then you can get busted for carrying the illegal knife
    DING ding ding winner winner. Ditto above.

in a short word....yes

I have a Strider with a swedged top like the one linked below. It's not sharpened but I've been told it was illegal. With all the misinformation floating around and interpretations by LEO's, what are everyone's thoughts on carrying this knife?
    Strider Knives - RCC S/W SWEDGE

I HAVE A QUESTION...

I know I was bugging 64zebra about it (Sorry)

Why are Balisongs (Butterfly knives) illigal in Texas?

I used one when I was younger 17-18 working construction I had a Cheapy bali, It was a hammer, nail puller, knife, can opener, mixer. wire stripper, wire cutter, ect. Its real handy as an every day tool. Single edge as well.

I would like to buy one or two better named brands but dont see the reason if I cant EDC it. I know some people carry those "Kambits" (I think that is what they are called, but not sure they are legal, and I know in a SD situation you can use this just like one to protect yourself and then use the knife if it escalates. I know they are not gravity knives because they dont come out on their own with gravity. They are not switchblades because there is no mechanism to show the blade. So I am wondering if anyone knows?

Thank You
    Spade115
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

in a short word....yes
    that is not completely true.
    this is straight from the texas penal code:

(d) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct:
    (1) was incidental to dealing with a switchblade knife, springblade knife, or short-barrel firearm solely as an antique or curio

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    I have a Strider with a swedged top like the one linked below. It's not sharpened but I've been told it was illegal. With all the misinformation floating around and interpretations by LEO's, what are everyone's thoughts on carrying this knife?
    Strider Knives - RCC S/W SWEDGE
    no it would not be illegal in Texas. as long as it is not sharpened.

Thanks. Hope LEO has the same understanding if it ever gets inspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    I HAVE A QUESTION...

I
    I would like to buy one or two better named brands but dont see the reason if I cant EDC it. I know some people carry those "Kambits" (I think that is what they are called, but not sure they are legal, and I know in a SD situation you can use this just like one to protect yourself and then use the knife if it escalates. I know they are not gravity knives because they dont come out on their own with gravity. They are not switchblades because there is no mechanism to show the blade. So I am wondering if anyone knows?

Thank You
    Spade115
    a karambit knife is perfectly legal to carry in Texas provided that it is not a switchblade and it does not have a blade over 5.5"

Thanks :D But I meant that stick thing they sell that you hold and beat people with. lol

lemme find a picture.

Thank you though.

Kubaton. lol (I was WAY off)

When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Thanks :D But I meant that stick thing they sell that you hold and beat people with. lol

lemme find a picture.

Thank you though.

Kubaton. lol (I was WAY off)

a kubaton is legal. its does not fall under any of the categories of illegal weapons.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links