Texas knife law?

This is a discussion on Texas knife law? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi everyone, is the sog flash ii considered an illegal knife carry in Houston? I know Texas laws state no switch blades, bowies, etc. The ...

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Texas knife law?

Hi everyone,

is the sog flash ii considered an illegal knife carry in Houston? I know Texas laws state no switch blades, bowies, etc. The sog is considered an assisted openner on their website. Just hoping to find some incite so I don't break any laws. I was for sure it was legal, but a buddy of mine said it might fall under a switch blade class.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by hakuthedog View Post
    Hi everyone,

is the sog flash ii considered an illegal knife carry in Houston? I know Texas laws state no switch blades, bowies, etc. The sog is considered an assisted openner on their website. Just hoping to find some incite so I don't break any laws. I was for sure it was legal, but a buddy of mine said it might fall under a switch blade class.

Thanks in advance!
    it is perfectly legal as long as its not a switch blade (Assisted is not a switchblade) and the blade is under 5.5" since the flash blade is only 3.5" you are well within the limits.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Be sure to check the local laws, actually. While the state allows for up to 5.5" here in Texas, there are several local jurisdictions that limit you to a smaller blade. Just Google "Texas knife laws" and those local laws tend to pop up as well in the information given.

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Be sure to check the local laws, actually. While the state allows for up to 5.5" here in Texas, there are several local jurisdictions that limit you to a smaller blade. Just Google "Texas knife laws" and those local laws tend to pop up as well in the information given.
    Houston has no such laws though. so he is ok to carry it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lwdaniel View Post
    As a peace officer, I am exempt on the unlawful carry of weapons law, such as carrying handguns, clubs, and illegal knives. I know the illegal knives are listed, and lockback knives are not mentioned, but I will attempt the ruse anyway. can't hurt. lol

The ordinance on knives has a LEO exception, except they say "actual discharge of their duties" clause.

p.s.
    actually I am thinking this part of the O.O. code.
    A public servant
    acting under color of his office or employment commits an offense if
    he:
    (1) intentionally subjects another to mistreatment or
    to arrest, detention, search, seizure, dispossession, assessment,
    or lien that he knows is unlawful;
    I'm with ya bro, I'm a peace officer too.....It would be ugly if they tried to do that crap to me also
    As for their "actual discharge of their duties" clause....I'm always a cop so if I'm carrying it I'm in actual discharge of my duty

it would make for a very interesting situation, one that would most likely catch a lot of people off guard but would be perfectly legitimate
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member

I can just see the Headlines

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    I'm with ya bro, I'm a peace officer too.....It would be ugly if they tried to do that crap to me also
    As for their "actual discharge of their duties" clause....I'm always a cop so if I'm carrying it I'm in actual discharge of my duty

it would make for a very interesting situation, one that would most likely catch a lot of people off guard but would be perfectly legitimate
    Headline -- TWO OFFICERS ENGAGE IN SHOOT OUT AT THE ALAMO

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Headline -- TWO OFFICERS ENGAGE IN SHOOT OUT AT THE ALAMO
    LOL

I didn't mean it that way, meant that it would be ugly in the proceedings, news, etc
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty

LOL That would be "intresting" to say the least.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    LOL

I didn't mean it that way, meant that it would be ugly in the proceedings, news, etc

I know you didn't mean it that way. I was responding in part to what
    Iwdaniel wrote in post 101 of this discussion: " If I am off duty and in San Antonio and have a Buck 110 on my belt and a S.A. cop gives me any crap for having it, I will arrest him/her for Official Oppression."

Then you posted, " I'm with ya bro, I'm a peace officer too.....It would be ugly if they tried to do that crap to me also"

I trust both of you have better sense and would go with the flow, and deal with things sensibly.

Still, bad stuff has happened, and I have certainly seen headlines and news stories where two officers have gotten into shootouts while each was attempting to arrest the other. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. I've also seen stories of officers being arrested for resisting arrest following a routine traffic stop.

I honestly cannot remember seeing anything about "Boot knives" in the Texas knife laws (or I am not searching hard enough)

I have a co-worker who asked this question he carried a CRKT EDC and was wondering is it illegal for him to carry it clipped to his boot. I told him (From what I can remember) a boot knives a no no, because its "concealed" from what I was told by a leo a long time ago.

But a folding pocket knife is always concealed (in pocket) and I would assume as long as your not fiddling with your boot too much it should be fine, so he has a regular pocket knife clipped to his boot because its easyer for him to loose it in his pocket than in his boot. Is this legal in Texas?

VIP Member
    there is no provision in the weapons laws for a knife being concealed or not, being around the neck or not, or being in a boot or not

the only thing concerning knives is the illegal knife section and prohibited (switchblade) provision
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

Thanks Zebra :D

I got a new bali from a flea market (Mtech Twist :D) 12 bucks. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Spade115 View Post
    Thanks Zebra :D

I got a new bali from a flea market (Mtech Twist :D) 12 bucks. :D
    make sure you put that thing in a case or something. it is illegal for you to own unless you are an "antique or curio"

My EDC is a SOG Vulcan, it's under the legal limit in Texas and woe be to the person that challenges me. Unless you are an absolute expert on how to disarm me with my knive you'll be sorry. Check out my review of it here.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by HandgunWorld View Post
    My EDC is a SOG Vulcan, it's under the legal limit in Texas and woe be to the person that challenges me. Unless you are an absolute expert on how to disarm me with my knive you'll be sorry. Check out my review of it here.
    cool review. except where you stated that we can only have a blade of 4" or less. the legal limit in texas is 5.5" or less

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Links