Home defence (no guns allowed!) - Page 2

Home defence (no guns allowed!)

This is a discussion on Home defence (no guns allowed!) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Personally, I'd go with the machete. However, if you're trying to stay away from "weapons" I would try to stick with something that has other ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home defence (no guns allowed!)

Personally, I'd go with the machete. However, if you're trying to stay away from "weapons" I would try to stick with something that has other "innocent" uses, like the baseball/cricket bat. There have been other good suggestions also (sjambok, hammer, etc.). As RSSZ said, it's tough when you live under a crappy government (what else do you call one that denies their citizens the tools to protect themselves?) but you have to remember that in a situation like this, you are fighting for your life. Concerns about the legal aftermath should be secondary to making sure you're the one that's still in one piece after the dust settles.
    If you're not considering a knife due to concerns about having to be too close, that would also rule out the sap. That said, I'm a big fan of both knives and saps/blackjacks. In fact, it's my opinion that a solid strike with a sap/jack will be more "instantly incapacitating" than a cut/thrust to the same target with a knife.

Whatever you choose, make sure to practice with it so you'll be comfortable using it if it ever becomes necessary.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

VIP Member
    My thought would be go with a cane or,even longer, a longer walking stick (Chinese waxwood is supposed to be fairly indestructible). Maybe some martial arts classes for training? Some thought should be put into how your house is laid out. Might not want to go too long if your house is small or has a lot of corners.
    Something to keep the BG at a distance is probably your best bet in case he has any sort of weapon himself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

You mentioned a "Battle Axe" so why not do this http://www.coldsteel.com/88kwarser.html and when you contfron the BG say in a clear and loud voice: I am Duncan Macleod of the CLAN Macleod! In the END......There can be ONLY.....ONE!! and see if he runs.....if not take his head and his quickening!

That's choice #1

Choice #2 is a little more practical and far less theatrical: Become the weapon. Take up a good martial art. I like Aikido because there is very little chance of accidentally killing and it leaves virtually no marks while causing EXTREME pain and it's not hard to get into. No punches, kicks or "kata" to memorize. Just make sure your muscles and ligaments are properly loose before a workout.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Man, I feel very sorry for you and your mates there down under. What a horror show. You might as well go outside and find yourself a cuole of big rocks and place them under your bed. If someone breaks in you can throw them at the intruder!

What about something in a good size fixed-blade fighting knife? That and some training in knife-fighting techniques could go a long way against an attacker...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    With the anti-self defense attitude that the "crown" has down there, I would worry about having a weapon designed for war as my defense weapon. The blessing is have something that in its own right has a tool use that can immediatly be turned into a weapon. The Okinawan's when Japan took over turned to the bo, sichle, and tonfa (I am sure the spelling is off) to ward off attackers, and now we have the weapons of Okinawan Kimpo. So an innocent ball bat, heavy duty kitchen knife, powerful flashlight (to blind there is non better than Surefire) and maybe even a camp axe. All are not weapons of war, but work berry berry effectivly when called upon, and dont allow for the "crown" to make you out to be some nut preparing for the "opertunity" to kill/maim someone. Makes me glad to be an American when in most of our country defending yourself is still not only legal but expected.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Sorry if my previous reply was too nasty.Didn't mean to be insulting. The way some of these countries govern their people is just plain wrong. We in the good ol' USA,sometime don't realize how good we got it. [ FOR NOW !]

In the confines of a apt./house you need something that you can use in a small, fairly tight space. With your current gov't rules and regs I'd say you need something that is not generally thought of as a "bad ol' weapon". How about one of Cold Steel's City Stick's.(God,not the one with the skull on it. You'll probably get thrown in jail for even owning that.)

Also not one that is a sword cane. The regular one seems to be very sturdy. Seems that it would last through several BG beatin's. I've seen them for $55 on the net somewhere. My thought is the extra length would be good for keeping the BG at a distance. Also the extra length would be good to have in case you have to go outside to investegate a noise or otherwise mix it up with burglers.

I'm not a "stick" fighter but knew a guy that was way back when. He learned the art in Thailand. He was amazeing and I came to realize what an effective (I consider)martial art that is.

Finally,I'd say to you(with respect to your laws) anything that will help you win is what you should consider. As said above,you my be frowned upon for using what you did on the BG,but at least you'll be alive. YOU GOTTA WIN !! ---------
    Last edited by RSSZ; March 27th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.

The suggestions for walking-sticks/canes are great. Here are some links to some cane/stick techniques.

Fairbairn (from Get Tough): http://www.gutterfighting.org/fstick.html

Styers (from Cold Steel): http://www.gutterfighting.org/coldsteel.html

A method of Irish stick fighting: http://www.geocities.com/glendoyle/bata/

This one is to a post on the Dog Brothers forum that lists a ton of cane/stick links. I haven't looked at all of them so I don't know what's there but some of them look pretty good.
    http://dogbrothers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=647

enjoy...
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Any good tool box has:

Large framing hammer with long handle and 22oz head
    Tire iron
    Pry bar or ripping bar
    1/2" drive Socket set with 24" "breaker bar"
    48" to 72" aluminum level
    Wood chisels

Just go to a good tool store, and you'll find a bunch of innoucous but very deadly tools! The above are a short sample...

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock
    Any good tool box has:
    I've got a chainsaw in the toolbox of my truck. Might need to mount a light on it and keep it in the bedroom!
    "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final." - Bill Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by duckhunter
    I've got a chainsaw in the toolbox of my truck. Might need to mount a light on it and keep it in the bedroom!
    LOL! A tactical chainsaw! The price on a tactical, is of course, 25% higher...

Thank you to all for the comments and help.

For now the bat is staying where it is, as I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. In the meantime, research continues.
    PAX IN BELLO

I honestly feel bad that you folks are so restricted. Good luck with the decision. Just out of curiosity, how is crime in Australia? Is it difficult to buy a handgun illegally?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

A .22 semi auto pistol will cost at least $1000, the civilian model predecessor to the AK (can't recall the model no) in working but poor condition would probably be about $2500. Sawn off SGs and old revolvers probably $500+. Something recognizable from the movies,eg Beretta, USP or Glock around $3.5k. In some criminal circles, they'll actually 'rent out' Glocks for around $500 or more with minders to make sure no shots are fired ("You shoot it, you bought it")
    PAX IN BELLO

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    How do the farmers/ranchers in the less populated regions protect their "stations" and their livestock? Are their different rules for the center of the country than the major cities? (BTW love that Southern Cross) --------

Seems most are telling you what "non-weapon" would be good as a weapon. And that just ain't the problem you posed.

You need something to protect yourself with that won't run afoul of the "lay-down-and-die" laws on self-defense you are saddled with.

This is no such device.

What you really need is a "government replacement." Your countrymen voted them in, now they must be voted out. Simple (and as hard) as that.

Decision time. Are you willing to live with things as they are while fighting for change? If so, then get to it.

If not, then be somewhere else.

I'd certainly welcome you here!

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links