Defensive Carry banner

Home defence (no guns allowed!)

9K views 37 replies 25 participants last post by  tanksoldier 
#1 ·
Being in Australia, I have very limited options as to what I can carry out on the street. At home however, its a different matter.

Short of firearms (due to the EXTREMELY restrictive laws governing type, method of storage of firearm and ammo etc), there are very few weapons I can't keep at home, with expandable batons, anti personnel sprays (or any aerosol spray used to defend oneself), any kind of concealable or 'automatic' (balisong, OTF etc) knife, crossbows and most martial arts weapons being the exceptions. I don't want to go with a maglite due to the excessive force issue it can raise (lead filled pipe etc)

I am wanting to upgrade from the metal baseball bat which I keep beside my bed simply because I worry about killing the offender.

Knives are out as I feel that they require you to get very "up close" with a home invader or burglar who is most likely carrying a knife or syringe (lets face it, if they have a gun, there are far easier ways to get money, like mugging people).

My shortlist at the moment includes the "Denver" four ply Boston Leather sap, a mid size combat axe or a machete. In a home situation, I'm aiming to end the fight quickly, through either intimidation or use of proportionate force while being able to respond to emerging threats.

Any other suggestions?

See less See more
#27 ·
I honestly feel bad that you folks are so restricted. Good luck with the decision. Just out of curiosity, how is crime in Australia? Is it difficult to buy a handgun illegally?

#28 ·
A .22 semi auto pistol will cost at least $1000, the civilian model predecessor to the AK (can't recall the model no) in working but poor condition would probably be about $2500. Sawn off SGs and old revolvers probably $500+. Something recognizable from the movies,eg Beretta, USP or Glock around $3.5k. In some criminal circles, they'll actually 'rent out' Glocks for around $500 or more with minders to make sure no shots are fired ("You shoot it, you bought it")

#30 ·
Seems most are telling you what "non-weapon" would be good as a weapon. And that just ain't the problem you posed.

You need something to protect yourself with that won't run afoul of the "lay-down-and-die" laws on self-defense you are saddled with.

This is no such device.

What you really need is a "government replacement." Your countrymen voted them in, now they must be voted out. Simple (and as hard) as that.

Decision time. Are you willing to live with things as they are while fighting for change? If so, then get to it.

If not, then be somewhere else.

I'd certainly welcome you here!

mm

#32 ·
IIRC, machete and combat axe fall under the sword category of your new bladed weapons ban. A sap would require you to get in very close. I think your bat is a good start. I would add a maglite, and not worry about the lead-filled pipe thing. It isn't a lead-filled pipe. It is a functioning flashlight being used as an object at hand to defend yourself. A cane or longer walking stick would be a good idea. Definitely add a martial art. Your restrictions are instructive. People in the U.S. should pay attention. Knife bans have already been proposed.

#33 ·
The problem with bats, batons, etc is that they put you in close proximity to the intruder.

First, I recommend a dog. Dogs are one of the best, if not the best, deterent to intrusions.

Second, I would recommend putting together your plan for an intrusio n - identify the multiple scenarios and how you would react. Place folders and straight-blades strategically around the house. This is good if you have a gun or not.

Next, get creative with ideas that will keep the intruder at a distance from you.

If money were no object and I couldn't own a gun, I would own one of these.

It throws fastballs at 95mph. Place it in my safe corner and just wait, "oh, please don't come in here..." WHAM!

#35 ·
I live in gun unfriendly Canada, and face a similar problem. Handguns need to be unloaded, trigger locked and in a locked case. Long guns need to be unloaded and EITHER trigger locked OR in a locked case/safe.

So, my solution to the problem of home defense is an unloaded, trigger locked "antique" Lee Enfield No. 1 Mk III that is "displayed" in my bedroom. It was used in WWI by a Canadian soldier and I have a detailed history about him. This quaint "antique" is made of about 9 pounds of walnut and steel with a brass butplate that would more than leave a mark on any intruder that was butstroked. Oh, I forgot, there is also a 2 foot long matching "antique" bayonet on the end of it. Any intruder, regardless of what weapon they have chosen, could be shishkebabed if they cross the threshold of my bedroom door if they didn't un-ass themselves out of there double quick.

Perhaps you should do some antique shopping too, since the No. 1 Mk III Lee Enfield is also a proud and meaningfull piece of Australian history! :image035:

#36 ·
Omni said:
Perhaps you should do some antique shopping too, since the No. 1 Mk III Lee Enfield is also a proud and meaningfull piece of Australian history! :image035:
I would but for the fact that it'd be ridiculously expensive, have a cement filled barrel, and most bayonets are also considered dangerous articles.

#38 ·
Move to the US. Alaska, Vermont, Florida or Colorado. Happy to have you here.

If your life is in danger, use the force you need to defend it.

Better judged by 12 than carried by 6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.