Eickhorn and Solingen Rescue Tools?

This is a discussion on Eickhorn and Solingen Rescue Tools? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To make a long story short; my brother is about to receive his EMT/EMS certification and as a birthday present, I'd like to get him ...

Thread: Eickhorn and Solingen Rescue Tools?

To make a long story short; my brother is about to receive his EMT/EMS certification and as a birthday present, I'd like to get him a nice pocket rescue tool.

Problem is - I don't know a whole lot about 440A steel. I found a few very nice looking examples but my personal experience with this steel is good and bad - a lot of cheapies are labeled as 440 SS but they're total junk (I blame bad or complete absence of heat treating), and I've had some great knives in 440A from name brand manufacturers. Ka-Bar also makes a rescue tool kit but frankly, it looks like junk, but I've never actually handled it.

Does anyone have any experience with Eickhorn & Solingen? Good? Bad? Since this tool is gonna be on the line and might save someone's life, I wanna get him the best. I'm almost to the point of contracting a knife maker but frankly, in this economy I can't justify that expense...

Thoughts?? Thanks in advance.
    ~LJ126

PS - Here's a link to the knifes I've been eyeballing for him.

Pocket Rescue Tools by Eickhorn-Solingen Ltd. | manufacturers of military knives and rescue tools

I don't know too much about them, what's the price on the E&S.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I've seen anywhere from $100 to $150 USD, but I'm still kinda shopping around.

ADDENDUM - Found Gerber rescue tool, also made from 440A Stainless as well. The Gerber doesn't have as many options but it is less expensive, I've seen for as low as $60.

I realize his birthday may have passed by now, but I'd suggest looking at the Benchmade rescue hooks. My brother was impressed by the one his unit medic carried, and got me a Model 5 for my birthday. They're 440 steel, SHARP, and run around $35.
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

I've been a paramedic for 30 years and spent 15 years in Fire Rescue service, so with that said, I personally do not use one of those "pocket rescue tools."

Many years ago, when I was first into it, I tried a lot of gadgets and cool tools. Over the years I've just gotten away from most of them.

Now I simply opt for a good quality folding utility knife. I prefer Benchmade, but I have had SOG and Cold Steel and CRKT which are all quality general production knives. I've also had a couple of Emerson which I like pretty well.

Not that long ago, I tried out a Benchmade Model 5 Rescue hook. I got it because it was small, and had an Oxygen tank wrench. I have used it a couple of times and found it to be too small to jack with. Especially when trying to cut through heavy material like leather belts and boots. I still carry it only for the oxygen wrench feature and go to my folding knife for cutting use.

If I were going to buy a "pocket rescue tool" today, I do find the "Benchmade Houdini" to look pretty good. It has a large enough handle to be useful in a real emergency providing a solid grip. It also has a spring loaded window punch and a LED flashlight which shines in front of the rescue hook portion to light up the area you are cutting. (I have wished I had that feature when cutting clothing in dark environments so I find that a real plus on this tool) While the Houdini is made in China, it is a Benchmade and I would trust it to be pretty durable. Plus the blade is made from 9Cr13CoMoV stainless steel which a better quality steel than 440A in my opinion. It also has a pocket clip if you do not want to use the sheath which is included with the knife.

What I carry every day, on duty or off, is a Benchmade Griptilian with a modified sheeps foot blade. It is razor sharp and I have used it 100 times over for cutting seat belts, clothing, leather and whatever I need to cut. My favorite work knife is the Benchmade Stryker, but I have lost two of them and am getting tired of losing $100 knives. The Griptilian is a cheaper price and I'm happy with it for the last 4 years or so. I haven't lost my Griptilian since I started carrying it in a belt sheath instead of clipped in my front pants pocket while at work. So one day, I'll get another Stryker.

Again, all this is my personal preference and what I have come to carry over the years. But to most EMS people, I'm a dinosaur so maybe I'm not as gung ho as I used to be. These days, I'm all for keeping things simple.

Benchmade Houdini

Photo of Griptilian I carry every day

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links