Benchmade 14800 OTF

Benchmade 14800 OTF

This is a discussion on Benchmade 14800 OTF within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have first hand experience with this knife? They are a bit costly and I'm trying to decide if they are a solid investment. ...

Thread: Benchmade 14800 OTF

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar

Benchmade 14800 OTF

Does anyone have first hand experience with this knife? They are a bit costly and I'm trying to decide if they are a solid investment. OTF mechanisms are notoriously finicky, but being a Benchmade, I wondering if the quality is the same as their folders.

http://www.1sks.com/store/benchmade-...ack-plain.html

As far as it being a tactical knife for SD, based on the ergonomics (or lack of) of the handled and the handle material I would say it's a no-go. My concerns would be a secure grip given the lack of concave features in the handle that help provide a secure grip. Grip concerns are further increased since a metal handle becomes very difficult to grip when wet.

I'm not familar with the locking mechanism for this knife which might be another issue of concern.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Addditionally, some states do not look very positively upon a knife with two cutting edges (can't tell if that's double edged)...check local laws carefully.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I have a microtek. Not a fan at all of OTF. I won't buy another one. Benchmade is awsome & I love their blades. I'd get an axis lock any day.

If your interest is quick deployment- consider Emmerson or the Spyderco with the wave hook on the blade.

I think you'll be disappointed even though it's Benchmade.
    G-23, 27, 35 (all .40)
    G-29 10mm
    H&K 45c
    Les Baer Thunder Ranch 5"

It's a cool looking knife, no doubt. But I don't think it is a very practical knife.

I much prefer the Benchmade Stryker with non slip G-10 scales, D2 tool steel blade and double titanium liners. It is just as ergonomic and solid holding it with a reverse grip as it is with a forward grip.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I do not own this knife but I have handled it at the place I work (Benchmade volume dealer) so I have done stuff with it we dont let customers do.

First off, your theory about OTF knives being finicky extends to Benchmade. Sometimes it wont deploy and sometimes it loses its ability to stay out. This also happens on the Infidel series.

Stay away from this knife. Get any Benchmade auto knife though. Those things are pure sweetness.

Sponsored Links