Looking for a decent switchblade knife

This is a discussion on Looking for a decent switchblade knife within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Don't know much about them so I figured I start asking around here... I'm posting this from my phone which makes it hard to search... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a decent switchblade knife

Don't know much about them so I figured I start asking around here... I'm posting this from my phone which makes it hard to search...

How does a budget of around 100-150 sound? Or is that too little for a auto blade?

Something 'tactical' looking is a plus :)

Unless your looking for a $300-$500 microtek or benchmade otf ;)
    I'd say you could get a pretty nice Italian Stiletto + a cheap, decent Lightning OTF (check out BladePlay, shipping is free)just so you'd have a couple autos ..personally I'd recommend something more like a Spyderco Endura Wave or even a ti-lite or Subclaw ..but thats just me
    ..In Delray
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    At that price point, Piranha makes some nice autos. Side-opening coil spring autos with aluminum handles and S30V blades. Best you can do in that price range. Or one of the cheaper Pro-Tech autos, like a plain-jane Brend auto.

Piranha Knives | Index
    ProTech Knives - Custom Automatic Knives

I find that if you go outside a few brands- Microtech, Piranha, Pro-tech, Dalton, and some custom makers- the quality turns to absolute crap.

bjh
    +1 on the protech, $125 will buy you a runt, great knife.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Check out uniqueblade.com they have a huge selection. I have bought several from him, all italian made and of excellent quality. Their service is also superb and he is willing to help after the purchase if needed.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Keep in mind that different states have different laws on CCW. If you travel, reciprocity applies to handguns and may not apply to knives.

For instance Kansas has CCH and only handguns are authorized for concealed carry. KSA 21-4201 states that "dangerous knives" may not be carried concealed and some types of knives may not be carried at all.

21-4201. Criminal use of weapons. (a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, except that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;

laws are often silly, but there are over 50 different laws to know.

Here's some great info on some of the higher end OTF models. The DKW Sandshark looks like the one to get (if you can find one) as far as locking strength..a concern of OTF's in general.
    I'd be surprised to see that performance (links below) with any of the other otf's...

YouTube - DKW Sandshark

Benchmade Infidel - Thread
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    You're not going to get a decent out-the-front automatic at that price point. It'll pretty much have to be a side-opener. Another good choice I forgot to mention earlier are the Lone Wolf autos. They open by sliding one of the handle scales in one direction slightly, or manually with a thumb hole. They're nice because most autos, side or front, are clearly switchblades. A Lone Wolf is not obviously one and unless you know the scale trick, it won't work.

Hmm interesting ..looks like the higher end($300-$400) Piranha Excalibur otf's use pretty much the same excellent locking mech as the DKW Sandshark used..though is much more affordable...

Inside the DKW Sandshark - Thread

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Two knives of modest cost I've been satified with and offer a work day solid nature are the Herbertz line and the Boker Speed Lock. Both lock up firmly, offer a thick solid blade, and solid grip. Not much tactical look to these but they are high quality at a fair price.

I carry a Spyderco Delica 4 with the Emerson Wave opener. Works great, is technically not assisted, and is a smidge under 3" of blade. I can enter federal buildings with it because of its size. I wok near DC and this is important.

With shipping, it's only about $61 from a guy who sells on eBay as yourknifeconnection. I have bought several knives from him, and all were easy sales with quick shipping.

I personally like the new Benchmade Infidel.....it is way out of your stated price range though.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

unless you have a real need for an auto, i'd put that money towards a quality manual/assisted opening knife. i know autos are legal to carry in Florida with a CWP, but it's one of the few states that do allow it. also, it's a fact that the lockup on most autos, whether OTF or side opening, aren't as solid as traditional folders. they also don't open any faster than assisted openers, or knives with the 'Wave' feature, namely Emersons and Spydercos.

i have a couple of autos, all of them cool toys, but none of them more than fancy letter openers. if you need a blade for SD/utility purposes, i suggest a folder, or a smaller fixed blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Macklin View Post
    Keep in mind that different states have different laws on CCW. If you travel, reciprocity applies to handguns and may not apply to knives.

For instance Kansas has CCH and only handguns are authorized for concealed carry. KSA 21-4201 states that "dangerous knives" may not be carried concealed and some types of knives may not be carried at all.

21-4201. Criminal use of weapons. (a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1) Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, except that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;

laws are often silly, but there are over 50 different laws to know.
    +1 on knife laws being silly. After all, just what is a "dangerous knife"?
    Last edited by nucone; August 7th, 2009 at 11:04 PM. Reason: correction of error

Check out Mikov autos.

Quality knives that are definitely within your price range:

Mikov Folders internet store - PayPal accepted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links