Subcom or Subclaw?

This is a discussion on Subcom or Subclaw? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm looking for a good, but fairly cheap defensive knife, and have landed on two different one that I like. I'm torn between the Subcom ...

View Poll Results: Subcom or Subclaw?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Subcom

6 33.33%
  • Subclaw

12 66.67%

Thread: Subcom or Subclaw?

Subcom or Subclaw?

I'm looking for a good, but fairly cheap defensive knife, and have landed on two different one that I like. I'm torn between the Subcom and Subclaw. The Subcom I would probably get more uses out of but Subclaw just looks mean and like it would be a good defensive knife.
    So I'm leaving this up to your guy's infinite wisdom

Which one should I get?

2. Remove Ads

I have the SubClaw, and while i'm not a huge fan of Hawk-Bill or Karambit style blades in general,
    But I do think the aggressive blade style (kept sharp) does come into its own with this little guy ..also the blade's curvature is more relaxed than with most hawk-bill's, which make this blade even better imo.

There is also the Wharcom model in this series (which I just ordered :)
    which seems an extremely useful blade with it's more conventional Utility style straight edge styling...and still a nasty little weapon though ;)

The Subcom with its more skinner style belly blade would be more handy for cleaning fish/game, prepping food etc..if necessary.

The aus8 blades on these resharpen easily regardless of which model you choose..I've never had a problem with aus8 over the years, in fact I like it :).

PS: A few swipes on the Lansky Turn-Block style sharpener does a fine job 'razoring-up' my Subclaw I noticed ..and doesn't take off a ton of metal like those carbide slot gadgets do.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

any particular reason you're not looking at a larger knife?

Nothing against the Subcom/claw (i think they're cool little knives), but unless that's all you can legally carry, I don't see any reason not to carry something larger.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    It was that review that led me to get a Subclaw for EDC. You don't need a big knife, just some good techniques/tactics/training.

If the Subclaw was waved it would be perfect.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I just bought a Subcom merely for the fact that it is such a cheap knife.

LAPoliceGear has a 15% off sale so I threw that little bad boy in there.

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    any particular reason you're not looking at a larger knife?

Nothing against the Subcom/claw (i think they're cool little knives), but unless that's all you can legally carry, I don't see any reason not to carry something larger.
    I think the biggest knife I can carry is up to 3 inches legally. I would go bigger but I've yet to see anything cheap enough (Very limited funds + wife wondering why I "need" one) and this is the first one to really catch my eye.

If anyone has any alternatives in that price range I would consider them.

Here are a few economy blades I have in that blade range (3") ..most all are quite nice (save the chinese stiletto which looks cool though :)
    (top to bottom) Subclaw (zip-waved and works ;) , Wharcom (just delivered ..love it!), Spyderco Byrd Series Meadowlark lite-wt(FRN) and waved for weak-side carry..a poor man's Delica and sibling to the byrd Cara-Cara, is very nice, the 8Cr13MoV performs/sharpens virtually identical to aus8..which is Good (search ebay for prices), Byrd Crow (aluminum scales and liner-lock), Cold Steel Voyager medium tanto (in VG1) is the most expensive here but is nice, tight, and Sharp! :),
    And an El-cheapo pearl stiletto (manual action)
    ..all these knives do thumb flick open very quickly with a little practice.

I'd say the Subclaw is definitely still worth having in that size range, as that model has a big bite for its size..nasty deep slashes and snap cuts, also a strong deep choiled Grip with jimping.
    That and some Fox Labs would make a pretty good pair
    ..kinda like 'Fangs and Venom' ;)
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Links