Review: Romatron

This is a discussion on Review: Romatron within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Am just about to go into a tutorial at uni, but I must say the romatron is a very, very cool little toy. All ye ...

Thread: Review: Romatron

Review: Romatron

Am just about to go into a tutorial at uni, but I must say the romatron is a very, very cool little toy. All ye naysayers be wrong says I.

Review to come in one hour.
    PAX IN BELLO

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    What the heck is Romatron ?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    What the heck is Romatron ?
    Here's the earlier thread on it.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ead.php?t=8221

Disko is Australian and is very interested in impact weapons since firearms are a nono there.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ok, tut went longer than expected, here we go.

It shipped to me in Australia in exactly a week from the time I ordered it.

No clamshell or other packaging, no documentation bar an invoice was included.

The first impression is a good one. Despite the pictures that appear on the website, its not that scary looking 'hazard' orange but rather black. When you lift it up, the plastic/polymer around it has a little bit of give to it, but doesn't feel flimsy or too brittle. The section between the two balls on the handle accomodates the hand nicely, perhaps a little bit snug for someone with a large hand. The weighted ball, allegedly 3.5 ozs of lead, is heavy and solid, despite the polymer coating. I used it in a stabbing downward motion on a steel door and saw no scuffing or ripping of the polymer. It's attached through the handle to a small length of small guage chain (surprisingly strong) using a length of steel cable encased in a clear plastic sleeve. In essence, by pulling the top ball while holding the handle, the chain comes up through the handle and locks up when the keyring reaches the base, creating a flail. Herein lies one of the best parts of the design.

One would be forgiven for thinking that it would be easy to strike oneself in the head on the backswing or off a rebound. The presence of the sleeve means this is not the case. The sleeve makes the cable fairly rigid, but at the same time allowing enough play to swing with. This allows a very cool 'blackjack' sort of striking action. Additionally, the sleeve prevents the cable from ripping into the polymer.

Handling this tool is alot of fun, as it can be grabbed from virtually any direction and still be ready to employ. The balls allow you to grab the weapon between your index and middle finger, ring and middle finger, or in a clenched fist. Grab the top ball and you can flail your keys. Grab by the handle, you can use it as a kubotan or in an upward stabbing motion, or flail your keys. grabbing at your keys or the bottom ball allows you to deliver a devastating crossbody or hammer strike, regardless of whether or not you have the cabling exposed.

For those of us who, like me, live in a jurisdiction where traditional weapons are frowned upon, the romatron is an as yet not widely documented weapon that is innoucuous enough to be stored on the key ring yet still capeable of being employed to devastating effect if necessary.
    PAX IN BELLO

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Nice review, thank you!
    Curry

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Define "devastating". Please understand,I realize that where you live,the choices for legal self defense are very limited...... BUT...... ?

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by disko
    The balls allow you to grab the "weapon" between your index and middle finger, ring and middle finger, or in a clenched fist.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm OH I am SO not going there!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links