Am I the only one who thinks my 10$ knife works the best

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who thinks my 10$ knife works the best within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a 10$ frost cutlery knife ive had for 3 years and it holds a blade great. I dont see why everyone thinks expensive ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who thinks my 10$ knife works the best

I have a 10$ frost cutlery knife ive had for 3 years and it holds a blade great. I dont see why everyone thinks expensive = good quailty

IMO, quality isn't the same as cost. Though, with cost often comes improved features such as suitability to task.

For some years, now, I've had either a Spyderco Delica or Native in my pocket. Exceedingly sharp, light, strong. Far more importantly, it matches the task well. At less than $50, I, too, can't see spending any more in order to get a name and perhaps some features that won't make much difference.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a ton of $10 knives including two autos I picked up at the local gun show that are awesome. I'd put any of my $10 knives up against any by Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade or anything else. I also have two Spyderco Delicas that I picked up at a gun show for about $35 OTD and feel they are just as quality as any folder going for $100+.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Spyderco Endura has been with me for over 10 years and is a solid as the day I got it..

bosco

My two Kershaws have never given me problems...and I use one of them daily (the other stays in SD mode)...after 4 years, both are still extremely sharp. They weren't $10 knives, but not that expensive either.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Anything that can cut more than butter when you need it is a good knife regardless of price.

Administrator

Wink

"Am I the only one who thinks my 10$ knife works the best?"

Probably.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    I've got some good cheapos that do the trick. Mostly autos that I grabbed on an impulse buy. I usually carry either a Spyderco Native or Kershaw Chive. They weren't too expensive (under $50) and are excellent quality knives. With that being said, I've been eyeballing a Benchmade 3550 auto for some carry duty. Can't ever have enough toys.

kpw
    I have a bunch of Frost Cutlery knives sitting in a drawer. I have a friend that keeps buying the big sets they advertise on TV somewhere, so he gives me one or two everytime I see him. Quality is all over with these. Some aren't bad, some are so cheaply made that I wouldn't use them to cut cardboard. Even the better ones have questionable strength in the lockup and the frames or lack of a frame that gives them no lateral strength. Good for simple cutting chores but compared to even a cheap Benchmade import, they are flimsy.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    Back when I had more money than brains, I purchased three Microtech auto-blades. The two larger 4-inch were $410.00 and the smaller 3-inch was like’ $300 or so. Seem like a good idea at the time. I still have them and they just returned from the factory again after being sharpened. Frankly, I need three knives like I need a hole in the head.
    Regards,
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    One thing to keep in mind is that knives are like everything else. You can buy good quality for $50 or less but you can buy supreme quality for much (much) more. The end result is typically a performance level difference of 1-2% at best, but it's enough if you think you need it or attach some valuation to an items worth based directly upon cost.

For the fishermen out there, think of it as the difference between a G-Loomis and a Sage rod.

In my opinion, most "blade tests" are a load of bovine excrement. While I can appreciate that people test these things for us, I honestly don't see myself using any knife I own as an ad hoc springboard, a folder for pull-ups, or using any type of tool (let alone an edged one) not designed for the task to break apart masonry. Why people think that their blade has to do this stuff, and thus create a valuation of a blades quality upon such ridiculousness, is a complete mystery to me.

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that knives are like everything else. You can buy good quality for $50 or less but you can buy supreme quality for much (much) more. The end result is typically a performance level difference of 1-2% at best, but it's enough if you think you need it or attach some valuation to an items worth based directly upon cost.

For the fishermen out there, think of it as the difference between a G-Loomis and a Sage rod.

In my opinion, most "blade tests" are a load of bovine excrement. While I can appreciate that people test these things for us, I honestly don't see myself using any knife I own as an ad hoc springboard, a folder for pull-ups, or using any type of tool (let alone an edged one) not designed for the task to break apart masonry. Why people think that their blade has to do this stuff, and thus create a valuation of a blades quality upon such ridiculousness, is a complete mystery to me.
    I'd think the percentage is probably a lot more than 1-2% but I'd agree most will never need that increase. I'm more than happy with my $50-$100 knives. They do all I've asked them to do which isn't much more than cutting a rubber innertube, rope or boxes and such. Some people do have a need for a tougher knife and they are out there at a bit more cost. Some folks just like nice knives of the best quality.

I'd say to the OP or any others that are happy with a $10 knife, that's great. It works well for what you ask of it, same as my $50+ knives do for me. I'm not going to state mine are as good or better than say an Emerson. It wouldn't be the truth but they are good enough for my purposes.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by leedp21 View Post
    I have a 10$ frost cutlery knife ive had for 3 years and it holds a blade great. I dont see why everyone thinks expensive = good quailty
    I agree. I use all of my pocket knives, and I don't ever remember paying more than $30 for one. I've been using a $12 Winchester pocket knife at work for about three years in a very demanding environment and still depend on it almost daily and never sharpened it. I've also been brutal with it at times and used the back of the blade to turn slotted screws. If I would have bought it myself it might not have lasted this long, but the company paid for it!

Cool I hear 'ya Saber, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Back when I had more money than brains, I purchased three Microtech auto-blades. The two larger 4-inch were $410.00 and the smaller 3-inch was like’ $300 or so. Seem like a good idea at the time. I still have them and they just returned from the factory again after being sharpened. Frankly, I need three knives like I need a hole in the head.
    Regards,
    still, I just can't think of much any cooler than my Microtech Makora! That precision 'surefire' action feels great!
    Extremism in the Defense of Liberty is No Vice--Moderation in the Pursuit of Justice is No Virtue. - Senator Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I have a ton of $10 knives including two autos I picked up at the local gun show that are awesome. I'd put any of my $10 knives up against any by Cold Steel, SOG, Benchmade or anything else. I also have two Spyderco Delicas that I picked up at a gun show for about $35 OTD and feel they are just as quality as any folder going for $100+.
    Perhaps, but what you do for a good "name dropper" to talk about?

As to me, I have the name dropper knives, but use only the $10 knives. Now I ask you -- does that make sense.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links