For a Delica price of $60 - what's better?

This is a discussion on For a Delica price of $60 - what's better? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a standard benchmark, Delica with a V-10 blade. What is a better purchase?...

Thread: For a Delica price of $60 - what's better?

This is a standard benchmark, Delica with a V-10 blade. What is a better purchase?

Nothing if that's what you want :)
    Although you could get something like 2 spyderco byrd meadowlark's for less ..they are basically like older aus8 delicas , with good QC and steel(8Cr13MoV)they are one of the best values in their price range.
    Or could get the Meadowlark frn and a Cara Cara FRN (a poorman's Delica And a Endura) for less than the price of one VG-10 delica ..don't let the Byrd line price fool you, they are still really good sharp knives.. It's worth having at least one ;)
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

I like the Benchmade Griptilian but I give the edge to the Spyderco Delica based on size (not as bulky as the Griptilian) making for a more comfortable carry. The Delica is a quality knife. It's been my EDC for years and I've never had a problem with it.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

At the local Arny Navy surplus store in Littleton Colorado they have the std Delica for 49.99. Here is the link https://secure.armysurplusforless.co...ew.php?id=1378

The SS handle is 59.99.

If you are going to go the delica route, try and get one with the Wave feature, it is amazing.

I'm also a big fan of Benchmade, griptilians are a little more expensive. And I have a Mel Pardue folder that is about the same size as a Delica, and awfully tough
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Delica's can be had for around $40 shipped. Maybe a "tad" bit more. I would suggest the wave feature, or go with the better steel, the zdp steel. I HIGHLY recommend the zdp, it's amazing. And yes, I have more than one Spyderco, so be careful, they multiply!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Distinguished Member Array Wasabi's Avatar
    Don't forget to check out the Spyderco Native. I prefer it over the Delica for about the same price/size.

Missus Mac and I both carry the Delica with the Wave feature. It's a great knife.

I get them on eBay from a seller known as yourknifeconnection for around $60 - shipped to you door in less than a week.

Since the Delica/Native size is too small for my hands, almost anything is better. I like the Griptilian or Endura size much better.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    At the price point, I don't think there's a better knife than the Spyderco Delica with the Emerson wave. You can get a Delica for $45 easily, though.

Newgraham and Grand Prairie Knives are my favorite internet dealers. Outstanding prices and service.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I have always thought that Spyderco in general, and the Delica in particular, to be right at the intersection of great value and high quality. I would not go any "cheaper" than that, whether paying a discounted price or full retail.

New Graham is a GREAT online dealer. Spyderco will sell direct, but only at full MSRP, so as not to undercut their dealers.

What's better? The answer is that it depends. What's your usage going to be? Is this an EDC blade for simple daily tasks or will it be used for rougher stuff? There's a lot of good steel out there. You could spend days reading up on it and going over all the gritty details (Knife blade materials). In the end, IMO go with whatever works for you. I EDC a SOG FlashII mostly because it's a good size, fits my hand well, and is very light. Price, for most of us, is an issue and there are so many very good quality blades out there for every day carry under $40 it's hard to go totally wrong.

If you want this for an EDC blade go watch these reviews on other blades. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

If you really want to stay at the lower price point watch these for great deals at under $40. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Nothing, in my not-very-humble opinion. I have carried one longer than I care to admit, and it has never failed me. It's almost boring now, kinda like my Toyota (My FIRST import vehicle), ......but boring is good these days. Enjoy your Delica, but let us know if you feel you've found it's replacement. I am always willing to look at new ideas. (Still haven't seen the need for a wave yet, though).

Regards,
    Greg in West Michigan

"Beware the man who owns only one gun..... he likely knows how to use it".

I spent the afternoon at the Central Florida Gun show in Orlando. Big show, lots of knives. Let me preface this by saying that I was given an Emerson CQC -7 a number of years ago and it is very fast. You can "Brownie pop" the blade open ( an opening technique in which you open the blade by a quick shoulder movement, the blade stays right in front of you and never moves outside of a defensive position). I tried to find a knive that would open with this move for under $60 and I could not. Spyderco's will not open with this movement. I ended up buying a Delica wave for $55. I have heard mixed reviews about the wave feature - time will tell! I wanted a knife in the Delica size range and really never came across anything that appealed to me.

As far as quickly opening a Delica, you can learn to do inertial openings with some practice (it's more an action of a quick twist of the wrist versus manpulation of the shoulder). Another very quick opening is a marble shoot opening. It combines flicking the thumb while it's in the blade hole (sort of like shooting a marble) and the action of a wrist twist inertial opening. It may sound complicated but with practice it can be done quickly even under stress.

There is a wave version of the Delica but you may have a tough time finding one and keeping to your $60 limit. In strong side, tip up carry you draw the knife with some slight rearward pressure that activates the wave feature and opens the knife as you complete the draw. With practice it results in a very fast opening. Even with the wave feature I'd still practice a second opening in case for some reason the wave opening is fouled.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Sponsored Links