calling the police after pepper spray.

This is a discussion on calling the police after pepper spray. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be getting some pepper spray to carry when I go to school since firearms are prohibited, and I think it would be nice ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: calling the police after pepper spray.

calling the police after pepper spray.

I will be getting some pepper spray to carry when I go to school since firearms are prohibited, and I think it would be nice to carry it all the time for those moments when drawing a gun wouldn't do. If you do spray someone, do you have to call the cops and tell them?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    You have two choices.

1. You can call 911, and be the victim of an attack who used pepper spray for self defense, or
    2. You can let the other guy make the call, and be considered the assailant.

I know which one I'd prefer....
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I understand that point, but I am speaking legality wise. But I guess it would be a good thing to do anyway.

You just committed an assault and or battery,You need to explain why you felt the need to use the pepper spray so that the offense is negated by right to self defense
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

So that begs the question does one consult a lawyer before talking to the police?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrett4x4 View Post
    So that begs the question does one consult a lawyer before talking to the police?
    No.

Call the police ASAP. In this type of incident, they tend to believe the first person to contact them.

If the perp decides to cover his butt by calling the police and claiming that YOU attacked him with pepper spray and tried to rob him, it will look a heckuva lot better for you if you've already called the cops and given them the straight scoop.

If you don't contact them at all, it will make you look guilty.

Worry about talking to a lawyer later, if it even comes to that.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

I'm not sure I would open up the 911 call with, "I'd like to report that I pepper sprayed someone."

That being said, I would call 911 immedaitely.
    I'd probably call 911 with, "I'd like to report an attempted (assault, robbery, etc.)" The use of pepper spray would come out as the story of the 16-25 year old (choose description here) wearing a black hoodie and black pants, etc...attacked a 62 year old man (no hair) and his 61 year old wife (white hair)...finish the story on your own...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm not sure I would open up the 911 call with, "I'd like to report that I pepper sprayed someone."
    I don't believe anyone in this thread was suggesting that you word it that abruptly.
    "I've run across shooting after shooting where the defender shot a violent aggressor with a .380 and did little to immediately stop his depredations. A good hollow point load in 9mm or .38 Special will, historically, end lethal assaults more quickly."

~ Massad Ayoob

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    I understand that point, but I am speaking legality wise. But I guess it would be a good thing to do anyway.
    The answer remains the same no matter how you ask it or rephrase the question.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    You have two choices.

1. You can call 911, and be the victim of an attack who used pepper spray for self defense, or

Quote Originally Posted by Defensive Arms View Post
    I don't believe anyone in this thread was suggesting that you word it that abruptly.
    I wasn't suggesting anyone did, but thanks for the clarification...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Whenever you use any force against someone because you were in fear for you life you should be the first one to report it to the police when it is safe to do so.

Too many people assume it was a real BG that they were in a confrontation with and that they will not call the police. The truth is that there are more a-holes than bad guys and they will call the police.

Administrator
    Being that it is usually a felony to use OC Spray offensively while it is not any problem to use it defensively...you should report the incident because you sure don't want the scumbag that you just OCed to call police and say that he was just walking down the street "minding his own business" when you ran up to him and attacked him with OC spray. Then you have to fight possible felony charges...your word against his & he called the cops to report the incident and you didn't.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

This seems like a common sense question. If you are involved in an incident that requires the use of OC spray, of course you call the police. Something has gone terribly wrong.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I would.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    You have two choices.

I could not agree more. You have to be the first one to tell the story. If you had a reason to use the pepper spray you had a reason to call the police, but deploy spray first, get away to safety they call 911.
    Kel-Tec P-11, Supertuck Deluxe, Wilderness Tactical Original Instructor's Belt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links