Fixed blade carry

Fixed blade carry

This is a discussion on Fixed blade carry within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been searching around on this forum for a while but I cant find any infomration about fixed blade carry. In Texas there are ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixed blade carry

Fixed blade carry

I have been searching around on this forum for a while but I cant find any infomration about fixed blade carry.

In Texas there are a lot of places you cannot take a concealed handgun but you CAN take a knife. As long as the blade is not more than 5.5 inches and is not a switchblade or a dagger (dual sided) then its fair game to conceal it.

I work in a higher education institution and that is automaticaly 30.06 restricted for concealed carry in Texas. I spend a lot of time during the day going to and fro from building to building getting in and out of my car..etc in a bad area of town yet still being on "campus" I am very uncomfortable having no defensive option other than hand to hand so I want to start concealing a fixed blade for times where I can't conceal my handgun

Just to state my assumptions up front. I am well informed about the different schools of tactical knife combat and associated martial arts. The only school of thought that has me convinced are the Prison and QCB based approaches that employ knives specialized in stabbing with a hit grip. I find the arguments which state that if you are able to square up and use slashing and jousting type maneuvers you should have already taken your chance to run long ago, logical and insightful. Also, I know most people carry folders and I like folders but would MUCH rather use a fixed blade for hit grip given the option since you deploy it "open" and it cant close on your fingers no matter what.

I would love to hear from people who carry fixed blades and especially anyone doing so in Texas. The knives I plan to do this with are the CRKT C/K Dragon and the CRKT Kommer I.F.B attached below. They appear to be designed for hit grip style thrust and able to penetrate thick leather jackets/layered clothing..etc
    Attached Images

I conceal a Shivworks Clinch Pick most of the time. It is small, discrete, and reasonable to deploy.
    God, country, family.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I carry a Ka-Bar TDI on both my duty belt and my regular belt. I use a Gerber Guardian Back-up dagger as a boot knife. I also have a CRKT Ryan Plan B, but have only worn it like once or twice. Pretty much the rest I carry are folders.

I don't like the Dragon because you can really only grip it two ways.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

In the light-hearted days before 9/11 I flew thousands (and thousands...) of miles around the world on commercial airlines carrying big Spydercos or Benchmade balisongs. Never once a problem (okay, once with a balisong in The Nashville Airport. But that's another story). Since then, I've carried a stout oak cane. No one's EVER asked if/why I need it. They simply x-ray it & I'm off to board my flight. A knife is a fine idea, but unless you're well trained & practiced in knife-fighting...think about a cane. Let me put it this way. If you were gambling between an Islamic Extremist with a box-cutter & a country redneck with a big oak stick, on whom would your money be riding? Good Luck & God Bless Texas!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have a Bud Nealy Tung Pan that I'm fond of. Bud's carry system is very flexible. While the Tung Pan wouldn't suit your needs because it's dual edged (gotta love FL!), Bud has plenty of similar options that would. Some of his stuff is a little spendy, but it's all first rate.

He maintains a portion of his website that lists the knives available for immediate delivery. Here's the link if you're interested. Bud Nealy Knifemaker

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I'd look into the Tanto or modified Tanto styles. I've got a couple folders and fixed blades and they seem to be indestructible. Kinda like the .45 and cats most folks either love 'em or hate 'em. Several hundred years of successful use around the world says something for the design. May not fit your needs but very worth exploring.

The popularized American Tanto shape is based on a kissaki of Japanese swordsmanship called Shinogi Zukuri. However the kissaki type used during the period of the most fierce samurai combat where they had to thrust through the armor of the time was the Shobu Zukuri. A shobu zukuri tanto is a better piercing shape than one based on shinogi zukuri. The popularized American Tanto shape is an extreme version of the shinogi zukuri and is even less effective at piercing. The idea behind the shape was a really good one for two different reasons. because of the differential tempering proccess and Sori (curve) the shinogi zukuri was an innovative way to provide more structural stability to the tip. The other reason was because the way that the tip is constructed is that the tip is cut at a reverse angle with a chisel and then folded back on itself. This process creates the shinogo zukuri shape in an almost unintentional way. The togi (polishers) are the ones who bring out the distinctive lines of it.

That is all the long way around of saying that the shinogi zukuri kissaki type is not good for a small knife because it isnt contructed the way that kissakis are constructed and that particular design convention is not needed in knife physics to strengthen the tip to begin with.

I really like the Ka-Bar TDI. It allows a draw very similar to a Handgun from the belt. I also have been a fan of anything Benchmade for years. Not much in to high dollar "boutique" maker knives. They are beautiful and very well made. But I just would feel terrible using them for what I do on a regular basis.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I aggree. Handmade knives are to drool over, ESPECIALLY Damascus or pattern welded ones but I just cant sport the cash for such beauty.

BTW that clinch Pick looks incredible and fills the self defense niche I am trying to correct perfectly! It is too expensive though. I do like what the Shivworks guys have to say about various topics on thier website.

Has anyone here ever had to pull a knife in a life threatening situation?

Emerson K-bit fixed blade...

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Texan here; Spyderco Ronin and Shivworks Clinch Pick are my usual FB knives.

If I could not carry a firearm virtually everywhere, due to my peace officer status, I would carry one of my Shivworks Disciples or one of my custom Jens Anso Pikals much more often.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Florida here, Gerber Backup Gaurdian, or Benchmade Gamer.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I am not a big fan of fixed blade carry. However, on occasion I do carry this Kershaw Military Boot Knife and it is more than satisfactory. It has a 4.5" blade so it is not a very large knife overall and comes with a kydex sheath that can be used to carry the knife in a variety of ways.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I carry a Mickey Yurco custom push blade as my main EDC knife, or a Graham Brothers Ringed Razel (reasonable price, and built like a tank) in my bug out bag.
    I'm a big fan of fixed blade carry. Check out Stellar Rigs or Survival Sheaths sites for some nice CC options.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Might want to look at this: Spyderco Street Beat. I don't own it but am thinking about buying one.
    Last edited by diverge; September 12th, 2009 at 01:40 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links