Benchmade Nitrous Assist Folders?

This is a discussion on Benchmade Nitrous Assist Folders? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking for feedback from anyone who owns or has experience with a Benchmade Folder which has the new Nitrous Assist! My favorite Benchmade ...

Thread: Benchmade Nitrous Assist Folders?

Benchmade Nitrous Assist Folders?

I am looking for feedback from anyone who owns or has experience with a Benchmade Folder which has the new Nitrous Assist!

My favorite Benchmade Knife was the Stryker. Unfortunately, I lost it a couple of years ago. I miss it so much I am looking at replacing it.

I currently carry the Benchmade Griptilian with modified sheepsfoot blade. A great knife, but it lacks the weight and heft of the Stryker which I prefer due to the ultralight weight handle.

All the new model Strykers utilize the new Nitrous Assist mechanism.

My main concern is that I used to have a S&W assisted opening knife and it would constantly spring open while clipped to my work uniform pocket with any strenuous activity and the tip of the knife blade would keep poking me in the thigh! Very annoying and kind of dangerous to say the least.

So.... I am wondering of the quality of the Nitrous Assist and if anyone has had a similar experience using the Nitrous Assist.

If it is going to stay closed, I'll probably get the new model Stryker.

I have missed the last 6 gun shows, so I haven't had the opportunity to examine one myself.

Personally, I would just as soon not have an assisted opening knife, but I haven't liked any of the old model Strykers found on ebay or elsewhere. Also, a lot of States I may travel to now outlaw spring assisted folding knives. Does the Nitrous qualify as an actual "spring assist?" Even if they say it doesn't, I feel it could be an arguable point if a LEO wanted to bust my chops over it.

Plus I like the new Spear Point now offered on the new ones and the D2 tool steel blades!

So, I have a major dilemma going on here!

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

I have the 580 Barrage. I don't know if it is nitrous assist of not, but it is an assisted opening knife. Blade is 154CM. It does have a lock on the back of the knife to prevent accidental opening. Might be somethng for you to look at. It is only my 4th Benchmade. They are kind of expensive but, they are quality knives that serve well. Good luck.

I picked up a nitrous stryker in tanto point plain blade when they first came out. I have edc this blade for the last 8 months. The blade is D2 and is borderline scary sharp. Holds a edge for a while. Never had it open or close without me telling it to. The black finish isn't real wear resistant. I just wish i wouldn't have went with the tacticool tanto blade. Oh well, overall...nice dependable knife.

Yeah, my original Stryker had the tanto blade. Actually the only one available on that model.

If I do go with the New Nitrous Stryker over the Osborn Rift, I'll definitely be getting the spear point on the new Stryker.

Thanks for you post!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I've been looking real hard at the Benchmade Ruckus with plain black blade. Don't know if that may be an acceptable alternative. Have you looked at that model? The thought of an artery cut kinda creeps me out to say the least.

I just ordered a Mini-Barrage...it is assisted opening.
    Nothing Wrong With Shooting as Long as the Right People Get Shot.
    Clint Eastwood, Magnum Force, 1973

Just got my first nitrous Benchmade. They use a double tension spring aparatus which requires the user to rotate the blade to about 30 degrees before the assist kicks in. When the nitrous assist does actuate it really opens the knife in a hurry. Of more importance to me is that, one the blade is open, it stays open until you close it. No inadvertent open or close on this locking system. Very strong system.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

+1 Thanks dairycreek! I appreciate your input!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

Nitrous Assist is good stuff. No disappointments here. Good luck.

GO HUSKERS!!

I have the nitrous striker spear point, great knife opens quickly and locks up well.
    just got a zero tolerance 3 3/4" with speed assist last night another great knife
    G10 scales and S30V steel.
    Ruger 3" SP-101 .357 mag
    Springfield XD subcompact .40 cal
    S&W 642 .38 spl
    S&W sigma .40 compact
    colt .38 spl detective special

Mo
    I handled the 3" and 4" Nitrous Strykers several times over the course of about a month trying to decide if I wanted one. The 3" was fast and positive, like opening a Kershaw Leek. The 4" was slower and more laggy. It still opened fine, but the torque on the spring was not enough for the larger blade in my opinion.

When it came down to it, I liked the 3" version and would have bought it if they made a plain-edge spearpoint model. Surprisingly, they only offer the smaller spearpoint one in a partially- serrated edge. (After owning and sharpening knives for a couple decades, I won't buy tanto points or serrated knives anymore unless they're dedicated for a specific purpose - the Spyderco Harpy, for instance, is a dedicated SD knife for me and not a utility EDC...)

Anyway, I ended up spending 1/2 the price on the Benchmade Vex (plain spearpoint of course) and the Spyderco-like hole lets me flick it open just as fast as an assisted-opening knife. I use the exact same motion as if I'm flipping a quarter, using my thumb to flick open the blade.

So, for me, the Nitrous didn't offer the blade design I liked in the size that worked the best. I'm completely happy with my chinese Vex. Benchmade is keeping a good lock on QC and the CrMoV is good blade steel. Plus, it's the first knife I've found that has the really high-quality construction at a price point where I don't have to reach for a boxcutter when I want to rip something open that might scratch a blade or dull an edge.

Mo
    Here's a group shot for comparison on the Vex.

Clockwise from top:
    BM Vex
    Spyderco Harpy
    Cold Steel Ti-Lite
    Kershaw Leek

The 4" Nitrous Stryker is a little larger than the Vex, and the 3" is somewhat smaller.

Links