Looking for a new blade

Looking for a new blade

This is a discussion on Looking for a new blade within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying a CRKT M16-13T for the past few years and I'm still going to hold onto it but I've been looking for a ...

Thread: Looking for a new blade

Looking for a new blade

I've been carrying a CRKT M16-13T for the past few years and I'm still going to hold onto it but I've been looking for a fixed blade.

The main thing that I'm confused about is the TN knife laws. It used to be that you couldn't have a double edged knife like a dirk or dagger, but I've heard a few folks say that those aren't restricted under the current law. When did they take that part out?

And blades over four inches are illegal.

So what I'm looking for is a knife that;
    -Has a blade no more than 4"
    -Fixed blade
    -Ideally, matte black in color
    -and also ideally with a non-slip grip

I know these are all pretty vague, but I'm easy to please. Any ideas on what would be a good option and in a price range of under $100?
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

RAT Cutlery RC-3.

RC-3
    RAT Cutlery Co.

It may take some huntin' around, but you should be able to get one for somewhere between $60.00 and $80.00.

VIP Member
    I'll part with either one of my two Microtech Tanto Auto's if that will help you. Just PM me ~ Otherwise, there are some pretty decent alternatives at from Benchmade.

P.S. Oops, I just re-read and realized you specified "fixed blade". Oh well, I'm still a Microtech fan-boy.
    Regards,
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of experience with fixed blade knives since I can't carry one on a regular basis. Of the two I have one is a custom knife that was given to me as a gift and the other is the Blackhawk Kalista.

The Kalista is an awesome knife but the blade is less then 3" and it might be on the small side for someone with large hands. Beyond the knife the carry system Blackhawk has for it provides a tremendous number carry options.

That's my 2 cents.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

fm2
    Benchmade Model 220 Fixed Blade Resistor looks good.

if i were you i would give cold steel a look, i bought 2 knives from them about 6 months ago and they are the best i have ever seen. they are razor sharp out of the box, and they hold their edge very well, i can still use them to shave. they have many different varieties but for fixed blade under 4" i would recommend Pendleton Hunters : Hunting and Outdoors (Fixed Blade) or K4 Neck Knife : Boot and Neck Knives (Fixed Blade). these are not matte black, but if that is a big concern then you micht want to look at the night shade series, Nightshade Series : Fixed Blade (Cold Steel Knives), yes they are plastic, but trust me, if you want to cut someone these will get it done, and there is no restriction on size or blade type, ie dirk/ dagger, because it is not technically a knife. i hope this helped
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

another vote for the RAT RC-3
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

CRKT Kommer I.F.B

It is an amazing knife for the price and easy to conceal for a fixed blade. Retention on the kydex sheath is very good. It is what I carry when I have to go places I cannot take my Glock

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    RC 3's a good choice. An Entrek Badger is another (Similar size to the RC3), but it has a 440C blade with subdued finish, but not coated/black. Entrek makes a smaller FB, too, but I forget the model name.

I had a BM HK 14100 that wasn't too bad, either, but again, not a coated blade. It has a 3 5/8" 440C blade (7 5/8" OAL). Tops also makes some decent blades & I know they have many models that are within your criteria. Most of their knives have 1095 coated blade steel, which is similar to RC3.

While I know many people don't care for Ontario concerning RAT knives, their RAT3's not bad, either. Its OAL is slightly shorter than the RC3 & they came in D2 or 1095 (Both are coated).
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I carry a Mickey Yurco custom push blade (blade is 2 1/2 in ) in kydex sheath with a tec-loc daily . Don't let the "custom" worry you, I paid $125 at Arizona custom knives site. Yurco's knives are designed for back up defense(small and wickedly sharp). Graham Bros make some awesome fixed blade carry knives also.
    "Train Hard & Train Often"

Look into TOPSKNIVES.com.

Best knives I've ever bought. Pricey, yes, but with a lifetime warranty, a personally hand-written letter thanking you for your purchase, extra goodies in the box, and a 15% discount to active service members, you can't go wrong.

Look at their UTE#2. It's in your price range, and it is a heck of a good knife.

+1 on the CRKT M-16! Got one on now as BUK.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Try out TOPSKNIVES.COM

Check out the UTE#2, it's in your range pricewise, and it's a heck of a good knife.

The cost may be cringe-worthy until you realize that the knives all come with a lifetime (original owner) warranty. They also have a 15% discount for active service military and LEO. You'll also get a handwritten thank you note for your purchase, and a "grab-bag" of goodies with the knife (sharpeners, survival whistles, t-shirts, etc.).

I don't buy knives from anyone else now. My wife and Step-Daughter both have a collection going, too.

+1 on the CKRT M-16! I have one now as my BUK.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Be pretty hard pressed to beat a RAT3 for your qualifications. Great full-tilt boogey (as in deliberately using the knife stupidly still gets you a free replacement) warranty that transfers to the new owner if you sell or gift the blade to someone else (unlike the more expensive TOPS knives) and a great price to boot.

Rave reviews all over the interwebs with nary a nay-sayer also helps in this regard...

I'd go with the RAT RC-3. You can also go with the H.E.S.T. which is a RAT knife a little shorter blade then the RC-3. Life time warranty on all RAT Cutlery knives.

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

Quote Originally Posted by Greenman View Post
    I carry a Mickey Yurco custom push blade (blade is 2 1/2 in ) in kydex sheath with a tec-loc daily . Don't let the "custom" worry you, I paid $125 at Arizona custom knives site. Yurco's knives are designed for back up defense(small and wickedly sharp). Graham Bros make some awesome fixed blade carry knives also.
    Mickey is close personal friend and understands the martial use of blades. You cannot go wrong with one of his.- George

Sponsored Links