Knife Length (Colorado) - Page 2

Knife Length (Colorado)

This is a discussion on Knife Length (Colorado) within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by rljohns Strict aherence to this law also puts Buck 110 folder, Endura 4, and SOG Trident off limits. All of which are ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Knife Length (Colorado)

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    Strict aherence to this law also puts Buck 110 folder, Endura 4, and SOG Trident off limits. All of which are the most popular knives in CO.
    I don't know where you get that information from, but of all the people I know who carry knives, they're all under 3.5 inches. Why make this post if you are going to try to refute what people are writing and telling you about their experiences?

4.125 is more than "just a tad" over the 3.5" limit. That's "a tad" over half an inch over the limit!

In the "folding knife" world... 1/2" is kind of like a mile!

I think QKShooter stated it pretty succinctly!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Spyderco® Endura
    $59.99
    The Endura is one of Spyderco®'s bestsellers. With one-hand opening and 4-way carry clip, these lightweight knives are great right or left handed. Choice of Partially Serrated or Non-Serrated

Always listed as one of Spyderco's best sellers. Buck 110 folder is the classic Buck everyone thinks of, when they remember Buck from the '70's. Many of the guys I shoot with carry the Endura, others carry the Benchmades that are about 3.75.

So I guess my information is considered anecdotal. No I don't have any surveys or official research. I would assume there isn't any such stats.

I guess it is just wishful thinking on my part that the laws were different. I wish my CCW included knives like KY or FL. I'm fairly attached to my Spydercos.

Sorry to be such a pain. I guess I like Joshe's answer best. The only problem is that CO doesn't preempt it's cities from making ordinances against knives. So far only Denver has made such ordinances (knifelawsonline.com). I don't hand out in Denver anyway.

I'm sure Spyderco was listing that as the best selling line of their knives nationwide. There are many different knife makers out there and to say that they're the most popular in Colorado isn't correct.

Sorry if my post came off as harsh, it wasn't supposed to. Ultimately the decision is yours, but I would look at the experiences of others to help make that decision. To me, its not worth carrying a knife that could potentially put me on the wrong side of the law.

The write-up was from the Army-Navy store website in Englewood, CO. Their prices on Spydercos are crazy good. I just need to make sure I stay out of Denver on foot. Inside a vehicle it doesn't matter anywhere in the state. I will probally start leaving the Police model for use at home and hiking. It's more than a little over the regs. Although I only OC it.

"Was it a tack-on charge or were they simply walking down the street and you stopped them for no reason and ask to see their knife? I can understand if they were comitting a crime and had the knife as a weapon (i.e. drug related, robbery, assault, etc)."

They weren't arrested upon our noticing a pocket clip and inquiring, if that makes it a tack-on by your way of thinking then I guess that is what they were. Mine were due to aggravated crimes, though some of my compatriots were; though not necessarily most. The folks in question needed to be arrested... those types. And they were. For something as simple as their blade lengths. What folks fail to understand is that their logic of I'll never encounter the police in a negative light has a way of not necessarily playing out that way. And when it does not, having a prohibited item allowing for their arrest on their person is not the smart decision they believed it have been. Play is smart, play it safe, keep it legal.
    God, country, family.

Oh, and Denver's laws further restrict it an additional .25 inches, iirc. Loads of folks arrested there over the years convinced they never would be.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    Oh, and Denver's laws further restrict it an additional .25 inches, iirc. Loads of folks arrested there over the years convinced they never would be.
    Not right now at least. According to knifelawsonline or what is listed in DRS. I have heard that at one time it may have been .25 less. They also have an assualt weapons ban in effect in Denver. It only counts if you Home of Record is Denver.

That was what I meant as a tack on. I've had discussions with city police back in Baltimore that would say "concealed carry laws would prevent us from arresting someone who just needs to be arrested. We can tack on a weapons charge". We know your not the bad guy so don't worry. My argument is that puts me on the wrong side of the law. I was even afraid to carry my pistol to a legit range to shoot in MD. In MD you have to log in at the range to prove that was your destination.

"We know your not the bad guy so don't worry. My argument is that puts me on the wrong side of the law."

1. Most people aren't the bad guys. The law applies to them none the less.
    2. Not every LEO you may encounter knows that you aren't one of the bad guys; or cares.
    3. It does put you on the wrong side of the law.

The knife thing is the same way.
    God, country, family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links