Defensive Carry banner

I bought my first Ka-Bar

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  SubNine 
#1 ·
I heard Ka-Bar made good survival/hunting knives so I decided to get one for myself. I have a cheap knock off but it's nowhere near the quality of Ka-Bar. The one I got has a full size black partially serrated blade with a black rubberized handle, and comes with a kydex sheath which is very good quality. It's nice to own an American made survival knife, most of the ones I find at gun shows and the state fair are cheap Chinese made knives. I like the fact that the knife stays in the sheath even with retention snap undone, my cheap knock off doesn't do that.

Usually when I think of Ka-Bar I think of fixed full size survival knives but it's nice to know they make folders too!

#2 ·
:worthless:

Pictures! We need pictures! Even if it's a cell phone picture!

Or give us the model number!

BTW! Congrats on getting a genuine Ka-Bar! As a former Marine, it makes my heart go pitter pat!

:congrats:

#3 ·
I don't have a picture of mine exactly but here is a different picture of the exact same one.

The model number is 1214

#4 ·
Ah yes, based on the famed USMC combat knife!

You sure have a winner there! Enjoy it! It will give you a lifetime of service! And truly a knife you can stake your life on!

#5 ·
If you plan on 'fondling' it a bit...get a box of bandaids...:yup::blink:

#6 ·
A ka-bar ( a real one) is not the best choice for everything, but it is a very good choice.

Some knives do some things better then a Ka-bar, but a Ka-bar does everything good enough.

I was issued a USMC Ka-Bar in 1961. My Ka-bar was on a ship in 1962 off the coast of Cuba, with a fellow Marine. It made several combat tours in Viet Nam, 2 with me. It was in Lebanon , with a fellow Marine and it volunteered to go Iraq, but it was deemed not high speed low drag enough. FWIT the high speed low drag model broke in Iraq and I was asked if he went back could the Ka-bar go with him.

It has served it's country well and I think it deserves a well earned retirement,

#9 ·
Yeah I believe there is a tool for every job. I certainly wouldn't use a 7" fixed blade to cut open boxes. I bought it to add to my bug out/survival kit I am making. You just never know when you're going to need a good blade. I still have my Gerber Fast Draw pocket knife for daily utility use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.