I bought my first Ka-Bar

This is a discussion on I bought my first Ka-Bar within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I heard Ka-Bar made good survival/hunting knives so I decided to get one for myself. I have a cheap knock off but it's nowhere near ...

Thread: I bought my first Ka-Bar

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I bought my first Ka-Bar

I heard Ka-Bar made good survival/hunting knives so I decided to get one for myself. I have a cheap knock off but it's nowhere near the quality of Ka-Bar. The one I got has a full size black partially serrated blade with a black rubberized handle, and comes with a kydex sheath which is very good quality. It's nice to own an American made survival knife, most of the ones I find at gun shows and the state fair are cheap Chinese made knives. I like the fact that the knife stays in the sheath even with retention snap undone, my cheap knock off doesn't do that.

Usually when I think of Ka-Bar I think of fixed full size survival knives but it's nice to know they make folders too!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

2. Remove Ads

Pictures! We need pictures! Even if it's a cell phone picture!

Or give us the model number!

BTW! Congrats on getting a genuine Ka-Bar! As a former Marine, it makes my heart go pitter pat!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I don't have a picture of mine exactly but here is a different picture of the exact same one.

The model number is 1214
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Ah yes, based on the famed USMC combat knife!

You sure have a winner there! Enjoy it! It will give you a lifetime of service! And truly a knife you can stake your life on!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

If you plan on 'fondling' it a bit...get a box of bandaids...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

A ka-bar ( a real one) is not the best choice for everything, but it is a very good choice.

Some knives do some things better then a Ka-bar, but a Ka-bar does everything good enough.

I was issued a USMC Ka-Bar in 1961. My Ka-bar was on a ship in 1962 off the coast of Cuba, with a fellow Marine. It made several combat tours in Viet Nam, 2 with me. It was in Lebanon , with a fellow Marine and it volunteered to go Iraq, but it was deemed not high speed low drag enough. FWIT the high speed low drag model broke in Iraq and I was asked if he went back could the Ka-bar go with him.

It has served it's country well and I think it deserves a well earned retirement,

Very Nice!!!!

Cool story Beans!!

Yeah I believe there is a tool for every job. I certainly wouldn't use a 7" fixed blade to cut open boxes. I bought it to add to my bug out/survival kit I am making. You just never know when you're going to need a good blade. I still have my Gerber Fast Draw pocket knife for daily utility use.

Links