Stabbing v. Slashing - Page 2

Stabbing v. Slashing

This is a discussion on Stabbing v. Slashing within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mercop ...We are talking about defensively. Yep. ^^ I've remained mum on this thread since noting when the OP first posted and ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Stabbing v. Slashing

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    ...We are talking about defensively.
    Yep. ^^

I've remained mum on this thread since noting when the OP first posted and there were no other responses, yet.
    Simply because the answer is there is no all and any situations answer (!). Quite simply it very much depends.

There is now though a lot of theory posted here as well as links to other sites with more theory.

But bottom line...
    * Who here has ever even once been in a fight on the streets against aggressors, and NOT as in a class/course against people who'll have lunch with you, and been stabbed or slashed?
    * Of same very specific condition who has attempted to _defend_ against as much (taking the offensive is of no regard here for us), and did you fail or succeed?
    * Who here has been first person witness with your own eyes to either of the above, and I mean start to finish not oh I saw a guy a block distant sitting/lying in a pool of his own blood?

When ever this subject comes up be it here or elsewhere I note there are always a strong positioning and voice from persons who have been through X, Y, or Z class/course training.
    Persons who learned this or that offense and anti-offense as via the military, fighting against equally trained/skilled war fighters equally armed with tools akin to short swords.

None of this 'training' stuff though is of any _REAL_ use to civilians. Average Joe and Jane Citizen who is not walking the streets carrying a KaBar or a machete or a anything but at best a ~9" total length (blade and handle) as unfolded 'box cutter'.
    Persons on the street that we might encounter are very much largely going to be untrained and have not been through a formal course/class. Street combatants training comes from street interaction and observation as well as applied practice...on the street.
    They do not act nor react like folks who will have lunch with you at the end of your course/class.

Don't take my word for it though...

Just ask any person who actually has been stabbed/slashed, has been in the position of offense and/or defense, and/or has been direct first person witness to such violence as on the streets and/or in a prison (not jail nor 'detention center').

The answer to this question is simple and basic.
    It's both and either.
    The singular goal as on the streets, not in a combat class/course or military theater, is to STOP the actions of your attacker. How to best or most efficiently dispatch that person as in his/her ability to remain locomotive or even respirate is of low concern (!).

When being threatened or attacked by a person with any edged weapon (broken bottle, knife, pointed stick, etc.) the primary thought in the mind of the person at the opposite end is to either 1) Gain Distance to ESCAPE and/or 2) How can I make this person STOP being a threat right now!
    If cutting him/her in the face with a slash by way of a razor blade will do that job then there is nothing further to discuss. This occurs, real world. If doing same with a carpet knife will get that job done then task complete. If stabbing that person in the neck, chest, or soft abdomen with a broken bottle will do it then job done.

Ask anyone who has really been under stress confronted with as much whether they were worried about being either stabbed or cut, they will tell you simply they just did not want to be _CUT_.
    Bottom line.

Rather than discussing this amongst yourselves who largely have never ever seen such a situation thanks to having lived lives that are largely normal and simply average, it would be better and best to seek out the input of those who have been there and done that.
    I guarantee you those persons will not have a specific camp to plant feet in. The answer is and has long been, both....and whatever else is necessary to make the attacker stop.

- Janq has been for real not in theory stabbed, defended successfully against slashes and stabs, and been first person witness to others undergoing same in win, lose, and draw efforts...all of and amongst the streets with real people who wanted my own and other folks lunch

P.S. - This is no different than anything else from using a firearm defensively to dance to sex.
    It's nice to hear commentary from folks who have thoughts and theories on how things might go...But always at the end of the day bottom line what is most useful and pertinent and valuable is feedback from persons who have had both feet in directly and literally. Those persons first person reports and views are worth a hundred other persons theories on a matter. Recall how we all talked about this and that theory in HS as related to sex, and how off base and incorrect those were who had no more _real_ experience than we did as virgins.
    This subject matter is no different, and is just as individual circumstance specific.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Yep. ^^

I've remained mum on this thread since noting when the OP first posted and there were no other responses, yet.
    Simply because the answer is there is no all and any situations answer (!). Quite simply it very much depends.
    I wasn't really looking for an answer. I was more trying to get people thinking and start a discussion.

But bottom line...
    * Who here has ever even once been in a fight on the streets against aggressors, and NOT as in a class/course against people who'll have lunch with you, and been stabbed or slashed?
    I've been stabbed. My experience is what led me to the opinions I hold. It's why I think stabbing with the type of knife most of us carry on a daily basis might not be the best option. A 3/4" wide, 2" deep wound did not affect my ability to function in the slightest. In fact, I did not even know that I had been stabbed until several minutes after I had sustained the wound.

I've been slashed. That hurt more, and I saw it coming. A 3" long, 1/4 inch deep wound that, again, didn't really affect me.

As I said in my OP, I've seen that people who've spent a lot time training to stab, don't when pressed. That's just in force on force training. What does everyone think they might do when faced with a real knife?

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I've been stabbed. My experience is what led me to the opinions I hold. It's why I think stabbing with the type of knife most of us carry on a daily basis might not be the best option. A 3/4" wide, 2" deep wound did not affect my ability to function in the slightest. In fact, I did not even know that I had been stabbed until several minutes after I had sustained the wound.

I've been slashed. That hurt more, and I saw it coming. A 3" long, 1/4 inch deep wound that, again, didn't really affect me.

As I said in my OP, I've seen that people who've spent a lot time training to stab, don't when pressed. That's just in force on force training. What does everyone think they might do when faced with a real knife?
    I've had a knife pulled on me once, but he was a complete idiot and I simply kicked it out of his hand before he could do anything with it. Think of the movie cliche of, "Ha ha! Who's a tough guy now, *insert random dis here*?" quickly followed by getting schooled by his opponent. It was so sad that my adrenaline didn't even fire up during the incident.

I have no issue at all believing your anecdote about your knife wounds. That sort of stuff happens with gunshots, even from the much vaunted .45 ACP, all of the time.

When forced to retreat, people will resort to slashing irregardless of their training for the instinctive reactions mentioned above. Stabbing while retreating is an exercise in futility. However, that is largely a training issue, IMO, rather than a lack of stabbing being an effective tool.
    Typical knife force on force scenarios, if mercop's excellent training example videos are any indicator, start with the defender backpedalling from an armed or unarmed assailant while attempting to ready their weapon and it goes from there. Good to go. However, I don't typically see the defender passing a slash or thrust and JUMPING ON THAT MOTHER-BLANKER, TAKING HIM DOWN AS YOU STAB HIS NECK, DOING A DOUBLE KNEE DROP ONTO HIS HEAD AND FLOATERS WHILE PINNING HIS ARM TO HIS SIDE AS YOU MACHINEGUN YOUR KNIFE INTO HIS ARMPIT/HUMERAL ARTERY AREA AND NECK WHILE DELIBERATELY DOING EVERYTHING YOU CAN TO KEEP HIM FROM FIGHTING BACK.

Aggression. Speed. Absolute Brutality.

So yeah, if you're just trying to get away from the guy with nothing else in mind then a stab isn't your best bet. This is exactly why Shivworks teaches their grab-n-stab techniques and leaves the legal stuff on your head with what is probably a pretty insane non-fault waiver. You can't expect a defensive-type encounter to be resolved effectively while backpedalling and using point-based techniques. You need to jump that guy, or grapple them close if you're already engaged, while you basically Lesnar vs Couture them with a knife if you want the most bang for your buck with point-driven techniques.

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    This has been an interesting thread. As has been mentioned, there's a difference between attacking & defending.

Stabbing, as has been mentioned, particularly in our Penal institutions, stabbing is an attacking motion usually designed to end that persons life. It tends to be more accurate & the wound is generally deeper than with a slashing attack. Plus, it usually used for more pinpoint attack of an organ, which is why they're typically fatal.

I think when one's asking about stabbing vs slashing, I'm assuming they're talking about being at the receiving end of an attack. If that's the case, slashing is "usually" the response by most people despite their training. The reason being that if you're behind the "8-ball" (The attack has come & your only response is realistically to not get stabbed/cut), then your fine motor skills are most likely going to go out the window. If you're fortunate enough to not be disabled by the attack & you're fortunate/quick enough to be able to get your knife, your natural response is most likely going to be to slash. That's mainly because you're probably going to be retreating, not attacking.

There's a big difference between a planned attack & a sudden defense. I'm not even talking about a planned defense, but a OH Shiite! I'm being attacked.

Also, everyone's different, but it also depends on the situation. I've been stabbed & personally been in several situations along with being witness to (Being part of) attacks (Firearms & knife, BTW) & it really depends on your perception at the time.

I found one is able to possibly stab (Or do some form of a fine motor skill attack) when they weren't the 1st one responding to an attack (Where it's not as imminent). If you're the 1st person being attacked (Or 1 of several, but there's no time to do anything bu react), you're most likely going to do what comes naturally to you & that is most likely to get out of the way & flail (Slashing, moving, etc). Now, maybe the dynamics might change enough that one doesn't feel as imminently in danger, then they might be able to change their tactic & actually stab.

Again, as has been said, there's no clear cut answer. Stabbing is usually more accurate, devastating, & debilitating...usually. But with stabbing, comes opening yourself to a possible counterattack, but again, if that person is now finding themselves on the receiving end, their most likely response will be to slash, not stab.

Just do an excercise with a friend/partner. Try to stab effectively while retreating.
    "Use human means as though divine ones didn't exist, and divine means as though there were no human ones." Baltasar Gracian
    Integrated Close Combat
    NRA Member
    Glock 19 & 26, Kahr CM9 & P45, Para P12, Kel-Tec P-32, S&W 442, & Dan Wesson 14-2.

I tend to agree that stabbing doesn't seem very defensive in nature. Nevertheless I'm going to add an experience an instructor of mine had in his instructor class with the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program.

They brought out a pig carcass and had all the students slash and stab at it, then they put a cammie blouse on it and let them slash away. These are generally some pretty big guys in this class, my instructor included, and he said the wounds through the blouse amounted to not much more than scratches. I'm not sure but I'd bet they were using the big ol' m9 bayonet that is easy to come by in Quantico, and if that isnt going to slash through a shirt effectively, I doubt an average folder will fair much better.

Just a thought.

I think anyone interested in defending themselves against a knife would be better served by getting to the gym to lift heavy, run fast, learning how to grapple with uncooperative people intent of hurting you, and learning how to KTFO people once you have achieved positional dominance.

Go find a defensive knife seminar.

Go futz around with some like minded people with a rubber knife.

Go run, lift & hit a heavy bag.

Defending yourself against a knife is not terribly complex. It's just a lot of work to put in that can be very taxing, time consuming, stressful and humbling.

Then again, the payout of not getting an HIV infected needle in your chest is kinda nice too...

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    I think anyone interested in defending themselves against a knife would be better served by getting to the gym to lift heavy, run fast, learning how to grapple with uncooperative people intent of hurting you, and learning how to KTFO people once you have achieved positional dominance.

Go find a defensive knife seminar.

Go futz around with some like minded people with a rubber knife.

Go run, lift & hit a heavy bag.

Defending yourself against a knife is not terribly complex. It's just a lot of work to put in that can be very taxing, time consuming, stressful and humbling.

Then again, the payout of not getting an HIV infected needle in your chest is kinda nice too...
    My issue is most people, especially martial artists, don't want to spend all day jumping their training partner and D-Blocking them after a simple slap parry. They want to do some Fancy Dan block to inner wrist cut with a trailing blade to a neck slice in one smooth arc and then do some "cool" takedown with at least three more steps than really has to be there. Believe me, I've tried many a time to do "real" knife fighting and/or knife defense and they simply aren't interested to see how much their current techniques suck.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I had a kind of interesting instructor once, showed us how to defend against knife attacks with our hands and feet, then told us we'd get cut anyways, most likely. If we didn't want to get cut, "run faster or grab a stick and hit them from farther away". Sounded right to me.

I can agree that stabbing while retreating isnt effective but it doesnt need to be because you are retreating and therefore should be running your ass off. Unless they have a gun or friends, they arent going to be able to stop you from getting away unless you are truly cornered in which case you have to mow them down with stabs and go through them to get away. Standoffs and "knife fights" are not self defense. Even with a stand your ground law you dont want to stand your ground squaring off with knives. Just get away by any means necessary.

Also assuming you are like me and dont have (or care to spend) 10 years training in knife combat, the prison style stabbing attack and defense methods are the most usefull in a home invasion scenario because you are going to do much more damage without the skill to use "bio mechanical" cutting techniques and other such flair. I also just dont see people slashing through leather jackets and other layered clothing in a home invasion scenario feasible at all and especially not without significant training and something very large like a Kukri. A karagambit through a leather jacket, flanel shirt and a tee-shirt? I dont think so, its just gonna get hung up unless you have the skill to go for the face and I think your average joe will just get disarmed or taken down flailing his knife out in the open. The only reason I have a knife defense plan in a home invasion scenario is to buy me time to get to my gun and I think it will work well for that. I also agree with everything written on this page about the matter: http://nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    So yeah, if you're just trying to get away from the guy with nothing else in mind then a stab isn't your best bet. This is exactly why Shivworks teaches their grab-n-stab techniques and leaves the legal stuff on your head with what is probably a pretty insane non-fault waiver.
    Can I loan you a clue about the legal side of use of force in self defense?

The actual techniques used is less relevant than the context in which they are used and the justification for the force itself.

"This isn't a defensive technique..."

"That is offensive, and if you do that you aren't defending yourself..."

Get real. That is intelectual pontification making a very simple subject entirely too complex.

Of all things, learning to use a knife in self defense should be simple. Humans have been killing each other with knives since prehistoric times (the 1980's...).

People are getting hung up on the location of cuts or stabs, the number of the wounds...feh.

Focus more on being able to understand your use of force rules and how they relate to situations as they evolve - because that's more important than if you biomechanical cut him or went UFC + KNIFE on someone.

Knowing WHEN to use a knife is more relevant in the aftermath than HOW you used it.

A lot has been said pro and con regarding stabbing versus slashing so I won't add to that discussion. IMHO the nuiances of slashing versus stabbing in a deadly force situation takes a major back sit to the idea of trying to inflict as much damage as possible in the least amount of time to shutdown the attack as quickly as possible. That can take the form of slashes, stabs, combinations of the two in addition to empty hand strikes, knees, elbows and kicks.

Learning to do this doesn't require ninja like skills that takes a decade to develop but it does require getting off the couch, training and periodic practice.

Regarding biomechanical cutting, what looks so delicate becomes instinctive IF you train. It doesn't require surgical precision. If your surgeon's required "precision" amounts to the length of your forearm, bicep, tricep or quad I'd recommend finding another surgeon.

If you carry a firearm for self-defense train to use it as such. If you carry a knife and view it as a self-defense tool train in how to use it as effectively as possible. I am not a believer that one sizes fits all but I am a believer that regardless of the method you choose (standard grip slashing, reverse grip stabbing, REM slashing/stabbing, etc.) talking about the benefits of that method don't make-up actually training in that method.

No one can guarantee you will have access to your knife if you're attacked. Neither can they guarantee you'll have access to your gun or your best round house kick. You add as many tools to your self-defense tool box as is practical given your circumstances with the idea that what you are doing is increasing your odds should an attack come. No guarantees.

The issue of justification requires consideration whether you are doing a hip throw or sweep (potential lethal and could be characterized as the application of deadly force in court, especially if the person throw splits their head open on the concrete curb and dies) or drawing your Glock.

"Of all things, learning to use a knife in self defense should be simple."

Learning to use a knife, just like learning to use a gun or any other weapon, most effectively requires training and practice.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

My issue is most people, especially martial artists, don't want to spend all day jumping their training partner and D-Blocking them after a simple slap parry. They want to do some Fancy Dan block to inner wrist cut with a trailing blade to a neck slice in one smooth arc and then do some "cool" takedown with at least three more steps than really has to be there. Believe me, I've tried many a time to do "real" knife fighting and/or knife defense and they simply aren't interested to see how much their current techniques suck.
    Well said.

That's the real problem, isn't it?

We want to practice things we do well and we want to avoid things we suck at. Unfortunately, its the things that we suck at that will get us killed.

I have been trying to revamp my thinking on this subject to the point where I work out with combative fitness trainers; I train with MMA guys; grapplers; crazy monkey stuff, etc.

The result is that I get my head handed to me on a regular basis. But little by little, I'm getting better.

My plan on a knife attack or any other kind of attack is:

1) Avoid it if at all possible
    2) If it ends up being unavoidable, I want to have the physcial skills to defend my self as violently as possible to allow me to get the heck outta Dodge whenever that option presents itself.

MitchellCT - Knowing when may be more important than knowing how AFTER the incident is over, but I think knowing how is pretty darned important during the attack.

Otherwise, you may not be around for the AFTER.

Just my 2 cents.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    MitchellCT - Knowing when may be more important than knowing how AFTER the incident is over, but I think knowing how is pretty darned important during the attack.

Otherwise, you may not be around for the AFTER.

Just my 2 cents.
    It's not that hard.

Run, lift, train.

Get as strong as you can, get as fast as you can, get as fit as you can.

Learn how to hit, throw people around, what to do when the fight goes to the ground, how to get back up, how to access and retain a weapon during a fight.

Just train the hell out of it.

You really want to tick off a MMA guy when you're rolling around on the ground? Just follow the simple rule of, "When in doubt, sprawl." If you get in a position where you think they're going for something that you don't like, just spread out your base (any base you can manage at the time) as far as you can and go rigid on them. Drives those guys nuts!

Under the great stress of the moment there is a very good chance that you'll keep machinegunning your assailant with a knife even after they've been rendered legally a non-threat. With a handgun or other ranged weapon you often have the luxury of seeing your assailant go down at a distance which cues you to end the engagement of that assailant. If you're rolling around on the ground, screaming your head off at your attacker, cutting and stabbing everything you can reach, and blood squirting all over the two of you then there is a correspondingly more difficult chance of knowing, in the heat of the moment, that this guy is done fighting and is simply flopping around in his death throes or is no longer a legally-defined threat while you machinegun a blade into a soon-to-be corpse.

With a coroner's full report in front of them and the stigma of using a knife in the first place, it won't be hard for a DA to see some mileage in running you over with the legal process if this happens to you. It's happened a lot more than you realize, and it's happened to people with a lot of training as well. All it takes is one extra poke or slash than absolutely necessary, in the opinion of a probable untrained idiot in using anything for self-defense let alone a knife, and you're in for one heck of a rough ride.
    Last edited by psychophipps; September 16th, 2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Misread a post above...

Under the great stress of the moment there is a very good chance that you'll keep machinegunning your assailant with a knife even after they've been rendered legally a non-threat. With a handgun or other ranged weapon you often have the luxury of seeing your assailant go down at a distance which cues you to end the engagement of that assailant. If you're rolling around on the ground, screaming your head off at your attacker, cutting and stabbing everything you can reach, and blood squirting all over the two of you then there is a correspondingly more difficult chance of knowing, in the heat of the moment, that this guy is done fighting and is simply flopping around in his death throes or is no longer a legally-defined threat while you machinegun a blade into a soon-to-be corpse.

With a coroner's full report in front of them and the stigma of using a knife in the first place, it won't be hard for a DA to see some mileage in running you over with the legal process if this happens to you. It's happened a lot more than you realize, and it's happened to people with a lot of training as well. All it takes is one extra poke or slash than absolutely necessary, in the opinion of a probable untrained idiot in using anything for self-defense let alone a knife, and you're in for one heck of a rough ride.
    I keep trying to interject some semblance of logic into a conversation here.

My fault.

I shouldn't have offered a point of view on the aftermath of a use of force situation that comes from formal legal education, admission to the bar and the practice of law - in addition to training in daito ryu aikijujutsu kodokai & pekiti tirsia kali.

You are right. I am wrong.

I apologize.

I will probably learn something if I just ask some questions...

Can you tell me the basis of your opinions which seems to be the basis of your opinions on the handling of a use of force incident in the court system?

Police work? The practice of law? Reading Ayoob articles? Reading Law Journals & appellate cases? Watching TV & You-tube?

See, the reason I'm asking is that your statements don't quite jive with what I've learned, and I need to reconcile my inadequacies and my lack of education with feedback from people who have a clue - something I figured I had, but I may not...

Help me.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links