Stabbing v. Slashing

This is a discussion on Stabbing v. Slashing within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The more I read from people who have used a knife for SD the more I hear about hacks/slashes to the arms/hands ending the confrontation. ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Stabbing v. Slashing

The more I read from people who have used a knife for SD the more I hear about hacks/slashes to the arms/hands ending the confrontation. Very telling- George

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    The more I read from people who have used a knife for SD the more I hear about hacks/slashes to the arms/hands ending the confrontation. Very telling- George
    Makes perfect sense to me. Like any predator, there is a definite continual stream of cost/benefit analysis going on during any given engagement. Once they hit a certain point of injury, and it's honestly fairly low for most low-intensity assaults like muggings or bar altercations, they will fade away and posture so they don't risk being injured too long and losing even more chances at making money other ways.
    Last edited by psychophipps; October 3rd, 2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: added a few bits and grammar

I was a huge fan of ending altercations with a smack to the back of the fingers/hands with my ASP. A snipe with a blade..even better.

Post Stabbing v. Slashing

i just read five pages
    about training,legal issues, ect.
    blah-blah-blah, yada-yada-yada.
    back to the question @ hand:
    Stabbing v. Slashing .............
    which is better ? both are effective,
    a stab with a 7" blade up-under the
    fifth rib .. takes care of buisness with one hit.
    with a slice across an artery with a smooth
    razor will render a good result. the bottom line is this : know how to use your blade(s)
    or leave them in their box.

Having witnessed a huge number of knife fights / stabbings in my life time I can assure you and have said often a knife fight is not a fight or any kind slash parry dance often depicted in movies. It is a brutal intimate close up dirty smelly messy attack. To prevail you must hack slash stab as viciously as possible. Of course you want to practice slashing and stabbing learn and know vital areas. Know what method is most effective. Stabbing works well for under the left arm aorta / heart shots, slashing for femoral artery, hacking removes heads and limbs limbs. You will want to do all of that and more if you are in a knife attack. Grab your attacker and get to work as if you were an industrial sewing machine. I have seen men live and prevail after being stabbed in the heart up to four times, I have seen men live with over a hundred stab / slash wounds. Do know the vital areas practice but when the day comes forget it all and make hamburger of the attacker hack slash stab as often and deeply as possible and do not stop until after they have stopped. Expect to be covered in blood, vomit, urine, feces and guts
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by BlindBlade View Post
    i just read five pages
    about training,legal issues, ect.
    blah-blah-blah, yada-yada-yada.
    back to the question @ hand:
    Stabbing v. Slashing .............
    which is better ? both are effective,
    a stab with a 7" blade up-under the
    fifth rib .. takes care of buisness with one hit.
    with a slice across an artery with a smooth
    razor will render a good result. the bottom line is this : know how to use your blade(s)
    or leave them in their box.
    How many times have you taken care of business with a stab up under the fifth rib with a 7" blade?

My intention is not to discuss what is more effective, stabbing vs slashing since the truth is that a pommel strike between the eyes if you could manage it would stop a fight faster than a stab to the heart if you could manage that. Rather it is about my the fact that you are much more likely to be in a position to slash rather than stab regardless of what you want or are trained to do. To take advantage of that I advocate my Inverted Edge Tactics since it uses the natural funnels created between the arms and torso, and between the legs to hook your knife into vital targets.

As far as being able to find specific target on the body, have you ever been trained in CPR? Have you ever given it? Even in lighted conditions you need to use your fingers to landmark the correct position on the sternum. Taking this example into consideration I think it is unlike that you will be able to aim for a specific target on your attacker in low light conditions, with both of you moving, under stress. - George

Still wanting to learn about "taking care of business"

Wink

Wasn't it an old 70s rock song?

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Still wanting to learn about "taking care of business"
    I saw it in a prison movie once. One hit in the heart badda bing badda boom dead. Guy died so fast there was hardly any blood

Again regarding the fatal one stab heart shot. As I have said I have seen several people live after being stabbed in the heart. Richie an under five foot gay gentleman was stabbed thirteen times four of them through his heart. He not only lived he beat the crap out of his gay bashing attackers. Jimmy was stabbed with a french knife by his wife at the base of his neck behind his collarbones through his heart exiting below his rib cage. He lived and stayed married to the same woman

Based upon that experience I WILL NOT depend on any single stab or slash. More like Freddy Krugar on Crack, or a psycho Indy 500 race car's piston at 10,000 RPM. Stab slash hell more like nuclear knife shredder make swiss steak and masticate them. Because I am not the one ending up on that slab in the morgue or any more scars on this ugly puss
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I'm a really big fan of the neck area. No tough bone cage around it.
    Give it a hooking Shivworks/D-block stab around their partially- broken guard and then a pulling rip to let them know you're serious about the whole thing.

IET we hook around the neck and use the scissor action as they try to pull away, great if you are being pushed back and are losing your balance. - George

Seriously, George? I just dropped over $350 on various SD sundries and the last freaking thing I need right now is the urge to buy your damn videos.

I'm trying to feed a family here!

Last edited by psychophipps; October 30th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.

VIP Member
    Question for the experts:

Wouldn't slashes or jabs to the face be more likely to illicit retreat of a VCA because of the psychological element?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    Just read through this whole thread. These situations are so fast and dynamic that it will inevitably be a matter of "whatever works." Just pray your muscle memory picks the right move.

Liked Mercop's posts, and Jang's as usual.

I liked the comment someone wrote about SD not being about fitness, but about things we older folks and the disabled can employ as we are more likely to be thought of as victims.

Also liked the one comment that a lot of the street bgs will back away from resistance. I just experienced that in a situation where I was pretty sure the guy was going to either just grab my wife's purse or pull a knife on her to demand my wallet. Just quickly placing myself between the two and pushing wifey back
    sent enough of a message that the bg walked off as if nothing was going on.

(Obviously we can't count on their cowardice, but whatever works.)

Quite frankly until I started studying under 2edgsword's tutelage, my old military background focused almost strictly on stabbing. The issue KaBar was well designed for these techniques, most effective is the throat slash from left to right after stabbing the throat---this almost removes the victims head---cutting carotids and the larynx---instant bleed out and no sounds. Since I have started studying blade concepts I find the slashing technique is a process of totally crippling an "aggressor." Cutting muscles, tendons, nerves etc. with a "simple" slash is quite awesome. In fact when I started following this new pursuit I would wince when I would mimic my instructor and apply the techniques shown (learning is only by practise). But like with the use of a CCW it takes the first necessary use of these lethal forces to get you to see visibly what can happen. Fortunately I have never used a blade as either an aggressor nor a defender, cannot say the same with firearms, my M1 made some mothers cry.
    NRA Endowment Life
    NYSRPA Life
    NYSMLA
    NMLRA

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links