Good: Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword - Page 2

Good: Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword

This is a discussion on Good: Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I saw a guy in my garage, and didn't have a gun, if I had a choice,I don't think that I would've wanted to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Good: Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword

EdC
    If I saw a guy in my garage, and didn't have a gun, if I had a choice,I don't think that I would've wanted to get that close to him, unless I know the BG was unarmed, and I was really good with the sword, which might be why the student may have some legal Problems. Janq raised some good issues. (Hope the student didn't get spattered with the BG's blood).

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Well it toooooooooo bad that National Health Care isn't in effect to take care of the bad guy........lets see fix the hand or lethal injection.. OH never mind government didn't get a chance to save him....ahhhhhh
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I realize that we all probably disagree with the idea of the DA prosecuting the student, but isn't it reasonable that a wound from the sword might not be instantly fatal, and might not have stopped the attack by the lunging criminal and a second hit might have been required? And did the article say that there were two strikes? Isn't it also possible that the wrist and torso injuries were caused by the same strike? A katana's a pretty long sword, correct? The guy could have tried to deflect the blow and gotten hit on the wrist and torso in the same strike.

The article states;

"...found the suspected burglar suffering from a nearly severed hand and lacerations to his upper body..."

That is a at the least two distinct strikes if not more.
    Note the AP reports that his hand was completely severed as in 'cut off'.

Outside of this BG having been doped up on PCP (which would be discovered later) or being the incarnation of Michael Myers himself (who is functionally unstoppable), it is 'reasonable person' reasonable to expect that a cutting (!) blow by a sword to most any part of the body would be more than enough to dissuade an attacker.

As to length there is in my area a museum that features a huge collection of period _real_ Japanese swords and other combat arms. I very much doubt this student in a group home owned a real katana, but rather a mall purchased imitation.
    Regardless though they are not very long...Much less than a yard stick and approx. the length of a youth league baseball bat. Think 18" barrel shotgun and you would be pretty close.

Don't get me wrong as I'm not defending the BG.Nor do I have sympathy for the BG.
    Clearly the BG was in the wrong.
    I'm not condemning the victim either.
    But expect a MD prosecutor to do so and to take a similar tack as what I've posted...Which is their job to do so as to prosecute violations within and to the letter of the law.

In this case specifically the letter of the law is clear. :|
    If item #4 as I'd noted prior were not on the books then there would be no further discussion but who will cover clean up of the blood.

As a lesson by proxy for us all regardless of the tool we might employ as an arm, a _measured_ response is expected and in select states such as MD by statute is required.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword, police say -- baltimoresun.com

A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a man who broke into the garage of his off-campus residence early Tuesday, a Baltimore police spokesman said.

According to preliminary reports, a resident of the 300 block of E. University Parkway called police about a suspicious person, department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. An off-duty officer responded about 1:20 a.m. to the area with university security, according to Guglielmi. They heard shouts and screams from a neighboring house and found the suspected burglar suffering from a nearly severed hand and laceration to his upper body, he said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. Based on the initial investigation, the student killed the man with only one strike of the sword, according to Guglielmi. The medical examiner will make the final determination, he said.

The student told police that he heard a commotion in the house and went downstairs armed with the sword, Guglielmi said. He saw the side door to the garage had been pried open and found a man inside, who lunged at the student. There was no indication that the suspected burglar was armed, however, according to Guglielmi.

Burglars had already stolen two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the student's home Monday, Guglielmi said.

Dennis O'Shea, a spokesman for Johns Hopkins, said all four residents of the house are undergraduate students at the university. Police had released three of the roommates by Tuesday afternoon. The student who wielded the sword remained in custody while investigators worked to corroborate his story with evidence and witness statements. Police have not released the name of the residents, but department sources identified the detained student as John Pontolillo, 20, of Wall, N.J.

The city state's attorney's office will determine whether to press charges, Guglielmi said.
    According to this article, the INITIAL investigation states that there was only one strike of the sword, so it appears that CJ810 may be correct in his assumption. I can see the student raising the sword, the perp raising his hand to block the strike, thus losing his hand and taking a mortal strike to the torso. Seems very plausible.

Hopefully the kid isn't prosecuted.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Maryland, the state that protects the criminals by making criminals out of the victims.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

To bad, so sad.That's what you can get, when you break and enter. Sounds hard, but he put himself in that position and he died.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Maryland, the state that protects the criminals by making criminals out of the victims.
    In almost no state is it lawful or allowed/endorsed that a victim may dispatch their victimizer by any and all means the victim deems necessary and appropriate...without regard to regard for human life including that of the victimizer.

Notable exceptions including the state of Texas.

Before laws such as this came to be it was not at all unusual for persons to go from being the victim to the victimizer not just stopping an offender, which is the primary point and focus.
    But rather going on to very well documented per law history torture criminals and even unproven _suspected_ criminals as well as to maim them and even kill them outright by all manner of inhumane manner.

Laws such as what MD has now are a direct result of earlier persons not finding it within them self to act as in a _measured_ manner and not go cutting off hands of shoplifters and thiefs (as they still do in countries that we today refer to as being God less and "barbaric") along with whipping, caning, and public hanging of persons for all manner of crimes and slights regardless of specific severity. Lawful imbalance.

It wouldn't take me but a few minutes to locate imagery of as much as in relation to relatively recent US history not even from50 yrs. ago as to how local and state 'law' application had been meted out and pseudo-enforced.

Do not forget how and why things come to be as they are and become.
    Also always remember that we as citizens do not have a right to take an eye simply because another may have attempted to take our own. Self defense rights inclusive of castle laws do not work that way, contrary to relatively common assumption and wish it were that way belief.

We generally have a right and lawful allowance to stop a BG, and it ends there.
    Once stopped as in the immediate, and no longer a threat, then we are expected to STOP as well in that immediate.

Not to know and understand this can and does result in persons losing their monies if not freedoms too.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1 zackintosh, I'm *****
    +2 InspectorGadget, you can never have enough sword legislation...

bye bye bad guy. it's a shame the criminal justice system is so broken that a home resident was forced to defend himself and his property at 1am in the morning.

The broken criminal justice system keeps revolving a guy like you in and out of the system. You had 29 priors and you pulled a gun on a cop only to have the charges dropped when the cop got pulled for active military duty and couldn't testify.
    Whitestone Castle Armory, Austin TX
    http://www.wcarmory.com/
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com

So how long before Maryland adopts the British sword control laws?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Janq,

Based on your analysis that any additional strikes after the first are beyond what a reasonable person would do. Does that mean that if your using a gun, your only allowed a single shot from it?

I don't buy the argument that the person with the sword in this case, or a gun in another can immediately realize the extent of the damage done to the attacker or whatever you want to call them. Other than lopping off the guys head, or in the case of a gun shot, the person immediately going limp from a nervous system shutdown, it is going to take several seconds at least to determine if they are no longer a threat. During that several seconds when adrenaline is high, an additional trigger pull or sword strike may be very reasonable.

I think this case, based on my very limited knowledge of MD law will more than likely be made regarding the occupant of the home going to investigate the intruder, not the number of strikes by the sword.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

In almost no state is it lawful or allowed/endorsed that a victim
    What a huge, stinking, disgusting pile of crap!!
    I can't believe what this country has come to, or what the laws have brought reasonable people to discuss these days!

You break into the house when people are sleeping, you are dead! You have no rights, no protections, you forfeit EVERYTHING! I am not going to hold back, I am not going to 'measure' my response! You are a threat to my life and I am going to end yours! I am not going to discuss castle doctrine with you, I am not going to discuss maryland laws with you. Not before, not during, not after!
    Bang, bang. Bye, bye! End of story!

So your saying that a guy hears a noise in his garage and goes to check it out,when he opens the door he's attacked by a burglar and makes chop suey out of him,but youi don't consider it self defense.I hope you never sit on a SD jury
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Janq,

Based on your analysis that any additional strikes after the first are beyond what a reasonable person would do. Does that mean that if your using a gun, your only allowed a single shot from it?...
    As related to firearms, the answer is maybe.

If the BG in the immediate cases to be a threat.
    And by threat I meann a literal real right now active threat...Not oh my he's still standing in my garage and hasn't walked out yet.

In this case the BG was unarmed, which further hurts the victims case as a view.

Sorry. :|

Here is further audio reporting of the event; http://wbal.com/apps/news/articlefil...-Guglielmi.mp3

- Janq

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    So your saying that a guy hears a noise in his garage and goes to check it out,when he opens the door he's attacked by a burglar and makes chop suey out of him,but youi don't consider it self defense.I hope you never sit on a SD jury
    No, that is not what I'm saying.

Take a breather and then go back and read/re-read my last post as above your own.

- Janq

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links