Emerson vs all the others

This is a discussion on Emerson vs all the others within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I freely admit that the bulk of my knife-related knowledge is limited to knowing to keep the pointy end away from my body. That said, ...

Thread: Emerson vs all the others

I freely admit that the bulk of my knife-related knowledge is limited to knowing to keep the pointy end away from my body.

That said, what (specifically) makes the Emerson so much more expensive than most other brands?
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I freely admit that the bulk of my knife-related knowledge is limited to knowing to keep the pointy end away from my body.

That said, what (specifically) makes the Emerson so much more expensive than most other brands?
    Emerson Knives isn't really what I'd call a production knife company like Spyderco, Benchmade, Gerber, Buck, etc.. They're more semi-custom or custom. The knives are built one at a time, with a lot of hand work, from what I understand.

Most main-stream (high volume) knife manufacturers have multiple "levels" of materials, quality control & country of origin/assembly. So you may select a Spyderco, etc. from their value-priced to our-best model depending on your needs & budget. Emerson only has a single level; the finest knife they know how to build. No compromise, no short-cuts, no Accounting Dept consideration. As a result, they are high-end, high-quality, expensive tools. I'm not endorsing or dismissing them...just explaining them.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have an Emerson Raven that I got at a steal because it was a discontinued model and Botach had it on clearance. I really wanted the BlackTi blade but they were out of those, so for the price I couldn't pass up the satin finished blade.

It is a very nice knife!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I carry an Emerson Mini Commander. It's held up well and it's a great hard use knife.

If you're into knives - cruise on over to Usual Suspect Network.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

I have nothing against them and think they are
    great knives. However, I edc a Benchmade.

Thanks for all the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Emerson Knives isn't really what I'd call a production knife company like Spyderco, Benchmade, Gerber, Buck, etc.. They're more semi-custom or custom. The knives are built one at a time, with a lot of hand work, from what I understand.
    That's pretty much what I surmised. Thanks for the confirmation.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Emersons

I have actually been to Emerson's shop. It is is a small business park in Torrance CA. It is only about 1200 sq ft. or so. They would not let me in the back but I could see human beings actually making knives.
    I ask to meet Ernest but he was at a trade show.
    I own many different knives but I own 3 Emersons. Mini Commander, CQC-7 no wave and a Snubby.
    They are good knives and well worth the money.
    Ruger 3" SP-101 .357 mag
    Springfield XD subcompact .40 cal
    S&W 642 .38 spl
    S&W sigma .40 compact
    colt .38 spl detective special

Yep, when's the last time you were eventually unhappy in buying the best anything you could possibly afford?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Emerson makes fine knives out of quality materials. That's why. I think they're a bit overpriced, but not terribly so.

I think Emerson knives are more towards semi-custom than production.

This is only for what it's worth, which is me typing and that's it. I have two Emerson folders and a LaGriffe, all from 1999. I have met Ernie a couple of times. Great guy, etc. Fantastic knives. Tough. Worth the stupid money I paid for them. Yes, people say they are overpriced. Maybe, but they are really tough. My Rolex is really, really tough, too. Can't say it's worth the dumb stack of money I paid for it, either.
    However...........
    A couple weeks ago here at work we got a sample Emerson from a distributor. I say "bull....." -- I take a look. No way. Liners are not titanium, bevel on the blade is wrong, handle is not finished correctly, etc. I tell the buyer to call Ernie and let him know that some guy is faking his knives again with fair quality but he's got the boxes nailed perfect.
    We hear back from Ernie and in fact, the knife is the real deal. Ernie has a distributor now. I can't believe it. I guess if you hadn't seen an "old" Emerson, you wouldn't know that they went from stunning quality to just good quality.
    So, keep that in mind. Are they awful now? Not at all. But, they are not what they were. What I saw probably would not equal the best that Benchmade is running right now.
    Anyway, my two cents worth. Still worth it if you want it to say "Emerson Knives" on it. And Ernie is still a good guy.

Emerson blade will open with slight inertia movements; you can "pop" the blade open as quickly as any wave feature on other blades. The blade material itself is superb, the edge will take a sharpening and hold. You might pay 50 to $60 more on an Emerson and you will carry that blade forever.

Sponsored Links