Easy draw lock back knife holster QUESTIONS

This is a discussion on Easy draw lock back knife holster QUESTIONS within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; YouTube - The Easy Draw Holster http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-156250.html Found this today and a site that sells the holster. Anyone have any experience with this holster (problems, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy draw lock back knife holster QUESTIONS

YouTube - The Easy Draw Holster

http://www.knife-depot.com/knife-156250.html Found this today and a site that sells the holster. Anyone have any experience with this holster (problems, likes, dislikes, quality or quality issues, ect..) ?

What about this retailer (I am leery of retailers on the internet that I have not purchased from before until I ask around) ?

General thoughts about the product would be helpful. With millions of laws out there waiting to be broken if this holster is visible and the lockback knife is in legal range for my state, any other issues I should check out (LEO jump in here please) ?
    Last edited by Horsetrader; October 13th, 2009 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add link
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

Although my Leek is a pretty quick draw and open, this holster is pretty clever...I just hate adding anothe piece of leather to my belt.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    The holster seems to me to be an unnecessary gadget. Any of the Emerson-patented "wave" knives gives the same result with no holster necessary. I have the waved Spyderco Endura, Delica, and a couple of Emerson CQCs. There's no faster way to deploy a folder.

It looks like retention relies on the knife being slightly open and still retaining the tendency to want to close. While it might work for some stiffer knives I think it would run into problems with easier opening knives.

Cool design though.

I have one of these holster designs in leather. I bought it about 20 years ago. Used to carry a Buck 110 in it. Worked well. It was made out of leather and brass Chicago screws. The only problem is that the blade slides along the brass screws and can dull over time.

Only problem that I ever had was when I got pulled over by the police while riding a motorcycle. They did not have a problem with the knife or it's size. They did have a real problem with the idea that I could bring it to bear quickly with one hand. (This was also about 20 years ago, before CC Permits for handguns!)

Thanks guys for the thoughts: yet another leather on the belt, retention ? blade dulling, ect.

Yep, even a neat holder is still yet another something weighing on the belt. A good clip on knife in the pocket moves the weight.

Retention question can not really be answered without buying it and trying it. Bummer.

The link says it is a "nylon bushing" that the sharp blade runs against during the opening/withdrawal from the holster. Possible improvement in the last few years.

Stillhave no information about possible LEO problems with a holster that opens the lockback during presentation (one handed)........

Thanks for your good thoughts !!

HMMMMMMMM..... I might have a look since I carry a full sized TDI daily I'm thinking that I may be able to get a little larger blade in the same space. And that is faster than my Leek I think.

Been popular with bikers and truckers since the 70's and any good police will spot them quick. They along with the a bolt on thumb stud sold in the back of Easyrider Magazine was a necessity back in the day before the one handers we have now. As stated the Buck 110 was "the" original tactical folder and these gadgets were built around them and their clones.- George

Quote Originally Posted by mercop View Post
    Been popular with bikers and truckers since the 70's and any good police will spot them quick. They along with the a bolt on thumb stud sold in the back of Easyrider Magazine was a necessity back in the day before the one handers we have now. As stated the Buck 110 was "the" original tactical folder and these gadgets were built around them and their clones.- George
    My concern is not that LEO will "spot" (I don't really try to HIDE anything from the police), but whether there is something about this holster that makes it IL-legal (you know what I'm wondering about: I got a great pocket holster that after I bought it I then found out I couldn't possess the damn thing without a special license from the FBI).....is this knife holster bumping the legal line here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Horsetrader View Post
    My concern is not that LEO will "spot" (I don't really try to HIDE anything from the police), but whether there is something about this holster that makes it IL-legal (you know what I'm wondering about: I got a great pocket holster that after I bought it I then found out I couldn't possess the damn thing without a special license from the FBI).....is this knife holster bumping the legal line here ?
    Would you care to elaborate? I've never heard of the FBI issuing licenses for anything gun or knife-related, much less one to posses a holster.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/...f_letter19.txt

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...=143019720#PIC read description, please

The above cites will help you with your question. A wallet holster that permits firing without removing the firearm from the holster....was my problem. I misspoke: not FBI, but ATF (government agencies all seem the same to me: powerful enuff to ruin your life, big enuff to never solve the problem or listen to you, mostly interested in more power and all your money ect....). Yep, POSSESS or manufacture (but gee whiz there is a fee, errr TAX, to solve that problem). It is all in the link entitled " ANY OTHER WEAPON" (but they really meant : leather wrapped around a derringer).

Excuse me for being filled with so much sarcasm today. I'll be fine by my 3rd beer.

Back to the purpose of this thread: any little legal surprises about the knife holster ?
    Last edited by Horsetrader; October 15th, 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add link

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I personally prefer a "flipper opener" system. Just flick that index finger as you draw and roll your thumb over for your grip and you're good to go. I'm currently working on a four-way carry flipper-opening, thumb stud back-up, IE folding knife because I'm getting quite tired of having to compromise for a defensive folder that meets my needs.

I don't know much about legality when it comes to that holster or your state, but just a couple of concerns with the design.

I don't like the blade exposure when deploying the knife. I know that an Emerson essentially does the same thing, but it is designed to do so and it does it quickly. If that thing gets bumped wrong, and you sit down...

You might be throwing it out on your way to the ER.

Just walking around with a half-deployed knife may be a problem with other people/family in both appearance and safety.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, does the blade slide along kydex (okay, but will cut through over time), leather (will REALLY cut through over time), or just the metal hardware (the blade will suffer with each pull)?

I know, I know... The sky is falling...
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by Horsetrader View Post
    The above cites will help you with your question. A wallet holster that permits firing without removing the firearm from the holster....was my problem. I misspoke: not FBI, but ATF (government agencies all seem the same to me: powerful enuff to ruin your life, big enuff to never solve the problem or listen to you, mostly interested in more power and all your money ect....). Yep, POSSESS or manufacture (but gee whiz there is a fee, errr TAX, to solve that problem). It is all in the link entitled " ANY OTHER WEAPON" (but they really meant : leather wrapped around a derringer).
    I do note that neither the holster nor the gun were a problem, in and of themselves, just the combination.

Excuse me for being filled with so much sarcasm today. I'll be fine by my 3rd beer.
    Make sure it's cold!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Interesting, but I think you'd be better served by a modern one hand opening folder and plenty of deployment training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links