Defense for Girlfriend

This is a discussion on Defense for Girlfriend within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I mentioned in my introduction that I was looking for a way to help my girlfriend to protect herself when I go to boot camp ...

Thread: Defense for Girlfriend

Defense for Girlfriend

I mentioned in my introduction that I was looking for a way to help my girlfriend to protect herself when I go to boot camp and subsequent periods of separation. She's only 17 so a CCW is out of the question. but I looked into tasers and the kimber pepperblater. If anybody has any suggestions advice I would sincerely appreciate it. She's my world and I can't let anything happen to her.

2. Remove Ads

Get her into a good female self defense class. Both tazers and pepper sprays can be overcome, but of the two pepper spray is the better choice IMO. But something that teaches better situational awareness and ways to create distance in order to leave the situation is probably the best bet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

17, hunh?

Well, tasers are an option, as are the whole array of OC/Pepper sprays, but...

I guess I council for knives. They can be hidden, palmed, and deployed very quickly and easily. They don't require reloads or batteries, and they are fairly widely accepted (no extra attention drawn).

I would go with a CRKT M-16 variant. They are very reliable (the one I carried in Iraq, I still carry), and they come in different sizes to fit a variety of hands/needs. Not to mention, that for the quality, you don't get soaked on price.

TOPS knives makes EXCELLENT knives if price isn't that much of an issue. My wife and step-daughter both carry one.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Get her into a good female self defense class. Both tazers and pepper sprays can be overcome, but of the two pepper spray is the better choice IMO. But something that teaches better situational awareness and ways to create distance in order to leave the situation is probably the best bet.
    Yep..

All the tools in the world won't help someone who doesn't have the will, skill or ability to use them.

Pepper spray such as the Kimber Lifeact or a tazer is a good start however as it is a non-lethal distance-abled defensive tool.

Knives and stun guns are contact tools (if you can touch them they can also touch you) not to mention that the use of a knife is lethal force which may be something she's not ready to deal with.

Thanks guys I appreciate it and have some ideas to go from now. If anybody else has suggestions please continue.

Yeah I'd go with pepper and situational awareness. Thats how I went about it with my GF it worked for a while but needs reenforcement, She started going out again without the pepper again.

P.S.
    How the baby lima?

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I mentioned in my introduction that I was looking for a way to help my girlfriend to protect herself when I go to boot camp and subsequent periods of separation. She's only 17 so a CCW is out of the question. but I looked into tasers and the kimber pepperblater. If anybody has any suggestions advice I would sincerely appreciate it. She's my world and I can't let anything happen to her.
    A ring!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Pepper spray for her purse, a 20-guage youth model shotgun for at home.

Wouldn't go with a taser. Overpriced, expensive to practice with, require activation, large size, etc.
    Your girlfriend would be more likely to carry around the Kimber pepper spray gadget who's name keeps on changing - a lot of young ladies in this day and age go with tiny purses. Chances are that a taser wouldn't fit, but the Kimber should.
    I'd recommend the Kimber, and also a knife. A knife can function as a weapon or, more often, as a useful tool for scraping, prying, and cutting. My typical carry knife is a Gerber Applegate-Fairbairn Mini-Covert. About the size of a small Swiss Army knife, has a thumbstud for quick opening. There are thousands of other knives which are just as good or better, that just happens to be mine. If daggers are a-okay in your state, the Gerber Guardian (not the Vietnam-era 7" or 8" blade, a 2.5-3" one) is great. It's got a very nice sheath that can be easily adjusted for tension, and the blade is easy to sharpen. The sheath can also clip to your pants, your belt loop, your pocket - etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PastorPack View Post
    A ring!
    priceless...
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

You might start with an NRA class called Refuse To Be A Victim. You can go to NRA.org and locate a class in your area.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    You might start with an NRA class called Refuse To Be A Victim. You can go to NRA.org and locate a class in your area.
    Here's a good start...
    The shotgun at home isn't bad either.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 on the NRA classes suggestion. Pepper spray is probably the best bet for now. Being in martial arts for quite a few years now (I'm a female), the knife route isn't the way go. Unless you're REALLY good, you're going to get overpowered, cut, etc. as you have to be close to use a knife. Most women won't be proficient or strong enough to ward off an attacker (usually a man). Situational awareness is paramount.
    And..the 20 ga. at home is a good idea too if one is confident/proficient with it.

Links