Knife recommendation

This is a discussion on Knife recommendation within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know Rollo already has a thread, but just from how his question was asked, it's clear he knows something about knives and I know ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Knife recommendation

Knife recommendation

I know Rollo already has a thread, but just from how his question was asked, it's clear he knows something about knives and I know nothing. But I'd guess his needs might be different than mine.

I want a defense knife. No clue what to look for.

Saw a bunch of people raving about the Kershaw Ken Onion Leek knife and the name seemed bizarro enough for me to look at it on Amazon.

Sounds like it might be good for my small hands. The price is certainly acceptable.

But I know nothing about knives. Will be studying them in my martial arts class within a week or two, but in replying, assume I am clueless, because I currently am.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Check out Spyderco
    CZ 75 B
    DPMS AR 15
    CZ 453 American

Okay, Spyderco -- many models. What am I looking for?

Addendum - No clue what the laws are regarding knives. Is that a state-by-state thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    Okay, Spyderco -- many models. What am I looking for?
    Maybe a Delica? Something larger if such is legal for you to carry. IMO, the Spyderco Endura is the best value for your money out there.

Addendum - No clue what the laws are regarding knives. Is that a state-by-state thing?
    Yes. It can also be a county-by-county, city-by-city, township-by-township kind of thing.

Administrator

If you want a really nice one the Spyderco para-Military. That is the one I will be getting soon.

I'd love it if, along with recommendations, anyone could tell me WHY they recommend a particular knife?

They all look so different from each other.

I tend to recommend Spyderco products ,cause I just love 'em.
    Beyond that, I'm particularly fond of the Delica4, and Endura4 because they accommodate ambi tip up and tip down clip positions, the pivot is adjustable, the FRN (fiber reinforced nylon grip scales) versions are very reasonably priced, and have a nice grippy texture, the lock system is strong, and doesn't require thin springs, and there are drones available. I also prefer Spyderco's RoundHole to thumb studs or discs.

If they're legal for you, and if your style of dress is compatible, a fixed blade could be a better choice than a folder.

There are a ton of great knives out there, in all price ranges. I am partial to SOG, especially the Flash II. It fits my needs and is very practical.

The knife clip goes all the way to the end, which makes it more concealable in your pocket. I also like the spring assisted opening feature and the lock for when not being carried.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    I tend to recommend Spyderco products ,cause I just love 'em.
    Beyond that, I'm particularly fond of the Delica4, and Endura4 because they accommodate ambi tip up and tip down clip positions, the pivot is adjustable, the FRN (fiber reinforced nylon grip scales) versions are very reasonably priced, and have a nice grippy texture, the lock system is strong, and doesn't require thin springs, and there are drones available. I also prefer Spyderco's RoundHole to thumb studs or discs.
    I don't think I understand anything you just said.

Maybe I'm not ready to buy a knife because I'm clearly, entirely over my head.

unloved, my clothing would not be fixed blade compatible. (Whew, at least I understand that much!)

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    If a fixed blade is excluded, then I recommend my method of carry: a folder clipped next to the edge of the rear vertical seam of the pants front pocket.

If you want to have self-defense as an optional function of the knife, I recommend any knife with the "wave" feature (patented by Emerson), which is a hook on the base of the blade opposite the cutting edge. Spyderco's Delica and Endura are available with this feature, plus several more expensive Emerson knives. To use the hook, carry the knife with the tip up and snag the hook on the rear seam when you withdraw the knife. This will open the blade instantly, even faster than an automatic knife (AKA switchblade).

Here's a picture :: Spyderco Product Details :: . Spydercos have the advantage of mounting the clip on either side, for both right-hand or left-hand carry.

A tip: lots of knife-selling websites have lower prices than the manufacturer's own site. I have had good luck with http://www.osograndeknives.com/ , for example.

Go to WallyWorld pick up a LEEK and a box of band-aids life will be good I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post
    I don't think I understand anything you just said.
    Sorry. Give me a little time, I'll break it all down into non-knife knut language.

Administrator
    The SOG Pentagon Elite I would be a good - one hand - fast opening - self~defense carry knife.
    It has a 4" blade so you'll need to find out if there is a "blade length restriction" in your state.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links