Speaking of trainers...

Speaking of trainers...

This is a discussion on Speaking of trainers... within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm curious how wide the rounded ends of specifically-made trainers are. Any one have an Endura/Delica or other manufactured trainer available that they can give ...

Thread: Speaking of trainers...

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar

Speaking of trainers...

I'm curious how wide the rounded ends of specifically-made trainers are. Any one have an Endura/Delica or other manufactured trainer available that they can give me approximate measurements from? Just looking for a ballpark so I can get an idea of what is considered "safe".

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    I'm curious how wide the rounded ends of specifically-made trainers are. Any one have an Endura/Delica or other manufactured trainer available that they can give me approximate measurements from? Just looking for a ballpark so I can get an idea of what is considered "safe".
    Do you mean width from 'edge' to spine or thickness? I don't have mine on me at the moment, but I'll check them out when I get home.

Edge to spine, thanks. I figure that a rounded 1/8" blade should be safe(r) as long as you don't get too berserk with it.

The blades of both the Endura and Delica drones are about 1/4" shorter than those of their live counterparts. The Delica drone measures 1/4" edge to spine at the tip. The Endura is 3/8" edge to spine at the tip.

Pretty much what I thought. Thanks very much for the assist, unloved.

Thanks very much for the assist, unloved.
    You're quite welcome.

I have to ask though. How can you bear to grind the edge and point off of a perfectly good blade?

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    You're quite welcome.

I have to ask though. How can you bear to grind the edge and point off of a perfectly good blade?
    Easily, actually. I'm working on fixed blade designs for a custom maker on the boards here and the drones will be purpose-built from the ground up. I just wanted a decent SWAG on the drone tips for them to keep in mind as they get finished.
    I'm hoping the maker will interested in offering my designs as knife/drone/sheath packages so the customer gets a good blade and the tools they need to train with and use it in one go. This is one area that I think that the vast majority of makers (even the "tactical" ones) are, to be quite frank, falling flat on their faces.

Easily, actually. I'm working on fixed blade designs for a custom maker on the boards here and the drones will be purpose-built from the ground up. I just wanted a decent SWAG on the drone tips for them to keep in mind as they get finished.
    I'm hoping the maker will interested in offering my designs as knife/drone/sheath packages so the customer gets a good blade and the tools they need to train with and use it in one go.
    Cool! Do you have any drawings you're willing to share?

This is one area that I think that the vast majority of makers (even the "tactical" ones) are, to be quite frank, falling flat on their faces.
    I absolutely agree. I think users/customers share the blame though. Drones just don't sell very well.

The radius of the tip on the Endura trainer is about 3/16"
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Great! Thanks for the update, 2edgesword.

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Cool! Do you have any drawings you're willing to share?

I absolutely agree. I think users/customers share the blame though. Drones just don't sell very well.
    Not quite yet on the drawings, unloved. I do, however, have 6" and 7-1/4" o/a IE designs in the blades I have already drawn up. I'm working on getting my mock-ups done (finally have the band saw, Dremel with correct bits, scale material, and aluminum stock all in one general area) and then we'll see if the original grips on the drawings need some tweaking before I send them off to have a go in ATS34 and G10.

I have to agree there, but the costs of the drones are also a factor. I'm designing the drones with full-thickness blanks to follow my philosophy of "train heavy, fight light" and to keep the costs down. Carve out the shape of the blade, slap some matching red/blue scales on it (matching both Spyderco red and blue gun styles of drone identification), and send it out without all of the extra work and polishing.

Be careful when making trainers/drones with aluminum (if you plan too) a bur on them can cut you like a razor.- George

I hear you on that one, mercop! I've worked in commercial kitchens far too long to discount the tiniest burrs or separations of sheetmetals. Given myself some serious doozies that way over the years.

The actual production blanks will be full-tang ATS34 as well.

Sponsored Links