Just Got My New Knife - A Doozie

This is a discussion on Just Got My New Knife - A Doozie within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was surfing around eBay looking for a knife that was made back in the '80's. I've wanted one since I first laid eyes on ...

1952 - 2006

I was surfing around eBay looking for a knife that was made back in the '80's. I've wanted one since I first laid eyes on it over 25 years ago.

Now I have one.

It's a Kershaw 1005 Survival knife. Kershaw says that there wasn't enough demand for this knife so they discontinued its production in 1988.

It has a 6" blade and the blade is mated to basically a length of pipe with a screw in cap that holds the usual goodies, ie. fishing line, hooks, water-proof matches etc. The pipe handle is covered in very heavy rubber with finger grooves. There is also a lanyard hole which is also covered in the rubber coating.

The blade is wide and thick; 1/4" thick. It has saw-teeth on the spine which are so aggressive that without the protective plastic cover on them they would chew up the sheath in about a day. These are the only saw-back teeth I've seen on a survival knife that is actually capable of cutting down a small tree, or hell they would slick through bone like it was melted butter. There are two rows of them and they have a 'cross-cut' shape much like a good cross-cut saw only more aggressive and deeper. The top 'false edge' on the tip of the knife is not false at all. It has a very sharp edge to it.

The sheath is ballistic nylon with something sewn inside it to make it rigid. The knife fits into the sheath then a flap closes over the handle of the entire knife with velcro and a quick release buckle to secure the sheath closed. The sheath also contains two pockets which contain a Brunton compass, instructions for using the compass, Band-aids and first-aid ointment as well as a set of plastisized printed cards with survial tips. And actually it's a rather well put together list of things to stop and think about in order to survive in the wilderness.

Needless to say I'm a very happy camper. This knife is going to go into my short-term BOB and hopefully never get used. But Hot Dam I finally got one.

The knife sold for $125.00 when they were new, I've watched them sell on eBay for between $140.00 up to $250.00. I got mine for $152.50.

If the knife interests you they are available on eBay. Do a search for Kershaw Survival Knife. I see three as I write this.

And before you ask or start making derisive remarks, pics are below.
    Attached Images
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

VIP Member
    Good score, acparmed! You're not just woofin' about those saw teeth...looks pretty agressive
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Cooool! I like that, nice find.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Very Cool, your right, its gonna make a very good BOB knife. You can never have too many compasses!
    Curry

Thumbs up

Good choice.

The Kershaw knife of that general style was one of the few production made ones that were practical in design and construction.

VIP Member
    Looks like a good knife. Appears it will be a good addition to the BOB.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Good buy! That was always a quality "sleeper" in the thundering herd.

Assistant Administrator
    Awesome serrated back Bob - potential huge ouch!!

Looks like patience paid off - great knife to have for back-packing in particular I'd reckon.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Blade shape reminds me of a Puma. Great working knife.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I have one of those in my travel trailer. Been carrying it around for a lot of years. You will enjoy it.

Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

kershaw Survival...

I was looking for one of those... but I lucked into a Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor survival blade that was designed by/for the SAS.

I'm glad I picked it up as Wilkinson Sword just closed shop after 400+ years in the sword/knife business.

Kershaw blade is a great one though....

Rich

THe Kershaw 1005 is one of the best knives I have ever owned. I have a Gerber BMF, which I have used in the woods for years, but it was misplaced.
    I found the Kershaw one day when I was at a local second hand store, and picked it up for $25. IT was to date, the best buy I have ever made.

I bet you'll love yours :)
    MrCoffee

Links