Is 'Cold Steel' all hype?

This is a discussion on Is 'Cold Steel' all hype? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is my first post so forgive me if this topic has already been addressed. I was buying some ammo at the sporting goods store ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is 'Cold Steel' all hype?

This is my first post so forgive me if this topic has already been addressed. I was buying some ammo at the sporting goods store the other day and they were playing the Cold Steel knives demo videos. I was pretty impressed by the various knives so i went home and watched some more stuff on the internet.

The blades look freaking amazing, albeit very over-priced and I wanted to know if they are the "real deal". Certainly one's training greatly impacts the effectiveness of the knife, but still... Are the blades themselves really all that?!
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Mo
    Not sure what you're asking. CS uses some unique steels, like San Mai, and others that are more mainstream, like AUS 8.

I have a Ti-Lite and like it a lot, but I also like my Benchmades and my Spydercos...

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Cold Steel is like any other knife maker, they make some great knives, some good knives and some worthless knives....."Pocket Bushman" total rip off. I like the roachbelly knife its decent quality for decent price.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Lead Moderator
    I have a bunch of them and I use them hard.
    I've got several of the Kukri's, the Trail Master and some of the big folders, and I use all of them a lot.

They are tough, sharp and they really arent that expensive compared to some.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Terri said it best. Even Benchmade makes some knives I think are crap. Some of Cold Steel's stuff is good product.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Moderator
    I've got two Cold Steel knives, an ODA, and a safe-keeper. The ODA's blade was good, but the rubber handle ripped apart on it during my time in Iraq, making it rather useless (to be fair Cold Steel said I could mail it back to them and get it replaced.) The safe-keeper is a kinda niche knife as it is a push dagger, but it does a good job of holding a sharp edge.

That being said, I just picked up a Benchmade Nimravus which I think is a better knife than either of them, although its also pricier.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Well 'speak of the devil'...I just bought this tonight...

KA-BAR Kukri Machete Knife Fixed 11.5" Blade - Knifecenter.com

Read the 12 reviews...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

I have one of the original Tanto blades that I bought back in 1982; I saw a demonstration of this knife back then outside of a knife gallery store in the mall. They actually had a junked door off of a car on a stand there, the guy was an expert knife handler. I remember he put the knife through the car door, cut a 1" manila rope in 1 swipe after he pulled the blade from the door, then stuck the knife through a second chance body vest and finally proceeded to cut a piece of newspaper to finish. To this day I have never witnessed anything like it since. I had never heard of this knife at the time, and paid the princely sum of 149.95$ on the spot to buy one. I still have that knife, and it still has an edge that will cut cigarette papers in half.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I'd say it's largely hype. They make some decent stuff, but it isn't any better than any of the other good manufacturers.

I refuse to buy Thompson's products because he makes unlicensed use of patented intellectual property. I have an old Vaquero Grande and it's a good knife. Once Cold Steel started ripping off Emerson's Wave though, I decided I wouldn't give them any more money.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    One knife thats a surprise is the Cheaper Than Dirt Rough Use Knife. I'd put this 10dollar knife against a 600dollar knife anyday.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Administrator
    I had an early Trailmaster Bowie and gave it to my Brother years ago and he is still using it.

The only Cold Steel knife that I own right now is one of their Bushman knives.

You can usually pick one up for dirt cheap on Ebay.
    I got lucky and bought mine on Ebay for less than $10.00

It certainly does win "The Worst Sheath Ever Made For Any Knife" award.

It sucks for chopping but, I beat the hell out of mine.

I use it for digging weeds out of my sidewalk and all Knife Chores around the house that I don't want to ruin a more expensive knife doing.

My Wife uses it for gardening tasks like digging tulip bulb holes in the dirt and digging out or cutting weeds.

It takes a fast sharp (initially agressive) field edge but, will not hold it very long because it is not super hard steel.

You sure can beat the living crap out of it though.
    Check out the youtube knife tests VID and watch that guy beat the crap out of his with a 5 Pound hammer.

Buy one if you can get one cheap and toss it into the vehicle or your SHTF Bag just for the heckovit.

Thanks for the input everybody. I appreciate it.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Quote Originally Posted by unloved View Post
    Once Cold Steel started ripping off Emerson's Wave though, I decided I wouldn't give them any more money.
    Heh, I'd hardly call the quillons on the ti-lites a rip off ..it's just part of the traditional italian stilletto design, that later was discovered could be used to catch the pocket and other things(marginally at best).
    If they were originally intended for that use, they would have reversed the direction of the quillons as the hook side would have worked much better..and been more comfortable on the thumb as well.

They started advertising the snag feature after user's started discovering it could be done.
    For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Mark 8:36

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I had an early Trailmaster Bowie and gave it to my Brother years ago and he is still using it.

The only Cold Steel knife that I own right now is one of their Bushman knives.

You can usually pick one up for dirt cheap on Ebay.
    I got lucky and bought mine on Ebay for less than $10.00

It certainly does win "The Worst Sheath Ever Made For Any Knife" award.

It sucks for chopping but, I beat the hell out of mine.

I use it for digging weeds out of my sidewalk and all Knife Chores around the house that I don't want to ruin a more expensive knife doing.

My Wife uses it for gardening tasks like digging tulip bulb holes in the dirt and digging out or cutting weeds.

It takes a fast sharp (initially agressive) field edge but, will not hold it very long because it is not super hard steel.

You sure can beat the living crap out of it though.
    Check out the youtube knife tests VID and watch that guy beat the crap out of his with a 5 Pound hammer.

Buy one if you can get one cheap and toss it into the vehicle or your SHTF Bag just for the heckovit.
    Good review of this knife. I also have one, mostly for backwoods foraging and lightweight camping/hiking. I replaced the sheath with kydex . I have moderately beat my knife so far. It works o.k. for chopping but is a bit light to get a hefty swing.
    I think with most of Cold Steel products you get what you pay for. Inexpensive = less quality.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've got a CS LTC (I think) Khukri. Decent enough blade once it got reprofiled after my neighbor used it to cut sod with. The black coating on the blade sucks--I plan to have it beadblasted off, next time DH sets up the sandcabinet. The blade is loads smoother, and should cut better, once that coating is removed. It's worn off the tip already, so I can tell how much smoother it will be 'in the white'.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links