Police confront knife-man

This is a discussion on Police confront knife-man within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Notice they keep their distance. http://www.wimp.com/dropknife/...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police confront knife-man

Police confront knife-man

Notice they keep their distance.
    http://www.wimp.com/dropknife/
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

a good case for officers carrying Tazers. it would have been over much sooner

Quote Originally Posted by raevan
    a good case for officers carrying Tazers. it would have been over much sooner
    Agreed, I'm not a big fan of Tazers for many of the situations in which they are used but this would have been a good time. Bean-bag rounds would also have been effective .

I'm wondering, do they not carry OC-spray? They could have just hosed the guy, at the very least it might have distracted/disoriented him enough to give them a good opportunity to get him with a baton.

There were several times at which, I feel, various officers were WAY too close to him (they didn't have to stay that close, where did he have to go?). Particularly at the beginning when the officer that was closest to the subject still had his weapon holstered. Then there was the spot about 1:20 into the vid. where he spun around and advanced on the officers, I think I would have popped him right there.

At least none of the officers were injured. Since the guy probably didn't die I'm sure that department/city is going to be shelling out a ton of money in the inevitable lawsuit .
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Lead Moderator
    Notice the fields of fire. Several times , if the officers were to shoot they would have traffic as a backstop. Also , if the BG were to get in the middle of em , no good shoot lanes could be used.
    Over all they did o.k. Better non lethal weapons would have helped alot.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    IIRC, this video is from quite a few years ago, and I don't think the Taser was in widespread (or maybe any) use then.

Matt

That guy is very lucky that those officers did everything they could to save his life. Kudos to those cops for a job very well done.
    That was some outstanding police work.

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, he came close to getting the Mk 0 Taser (the lead version).

Matt

There is a rule that a 21 feet or closer and lethol force is authorized. As far as tazers. One thing we are taught as we carry tazers. They are a tool not a replacement for lethol when it is warranted and the public sometimes fails to understand that. Why should I match a a non lethol weapon with a Lethol weapon ( Knife). When the electricity stops flowing the muscles release and guess what. The subject still has the knife.

Our dept has tasers. I would have had a couple of officers draw tasers and deploy them. The remaining officers could cover with guns and fire as needed.

The officer that squeezed off the round did a good job. He had to work with what he had. Being a Counselor the guy wanted to do die and escalated the situation until he got his result. I feel bad for the officer because you can see that he was truly distrubed by the whole ordeal. I hope and pray that he is ok. However, this is a good case for tazers because the interaction would have been over at the initial point of escalation. Kudos to the officer.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator

Question

OC Spray....Taser...12 Ga Shotty loaded w/ Less Than Lethal.
    So many other options.
    I guess it's just easier to walk 2 Miles and yell "DROP THE KNIFE!" about 500,000 times.

I would have gotten inbetween the suspect and the oncomming traffic lanes if there weren't houses and such off the highway. I also would have fired at the time the suspect spun around, but I would have grabbed the Rem 870 as I exited the vehicle.

Tough situation. I think I would de-escalate. Everybody backs off and have someone arrest him an hour later. It's not like he's going anywhere. Of course I don't know the full story.

As I was watching it I actually think I would have tried to sprawl him into the ditch by bumping him off of the hood of a cruiser. Or drive by and smack him with a car door. Nothing serious, just a little love tap. Once he's down several of the officers could have rushed him on the ground. Still a tough call. So many things could go wrong, especially since he's holding a knife. I don't think so though, the way he's holding that knife, I believe he would drop down and away from his body trying to catch himself when he falls forward.

Regardless pretty good job, and nobody died. Could have been much worse.

Have not seen this before, thanks for posting!
    Stay Safe,
    Kevin

CSSDSD Instructor
    ASP Instructor
    ACCJT Certified LEO DT Instructor
    NRA Instructor

My Solution :)

Sit in the unit, sip on some coffee, slow roll behind this fool as he strides his way down the highway. USe the bullhorn every now and then for the "Drop the knife" announcement. Call in for less-than-lethal whatever it may be or have someone suit up to make the approach if none available.

In the meantime, standby until the less-than-lethal arrives. Upon arrival, approach rapidly if using baton or club-type device. Once the victim makes any pivot towards the officer, deploy, deploy, deploy, deploy. Other officers assist to gain positive control of the knife.

If OC or whatever is used, self-explanatory. If the badguy doesn't drop the knife while being sprayed and commanded, deploy batons repeatedly until compliance.

I thought the officer doing the approach did a very good job on a rapid point blank shot when the suspect to the little swing with the blade.

This situation screams mentally disturbed or potential suicide by cop. My threory, end it quickly. It's easier said then done, but to drag something on like this could pose a danger to the public as it is a severe traffic hazard. The suspect is also exposing the officers to danger by forcing them to stay on the highway of foot. That is PC enough to deploy force short of lethal to stop this.

I'm a fan of controlled speed and solid decisions.

Cole

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links