Knife Review: Schrade Sharpfinger

This is a discussion on Knife Review: Schrade Sharpfinger within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After doing a (fairly for most people) high end knife in my last review, I decided that one from the opposite end of the financial ...

Thread: Knife Review: Schrade Sharpfinger

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar

Knife Review: Schrade Sharpfinger

After doing a (fairly for most people) high end knife in my last review, I decided that one from the opposite end of the financial spectrum was in order. This serves two purposes: 1) it demonstrates that you don't have to spend a lot of money for a good knife, and 2) it will hopefully point out that don't have to go further than your local general or outdoor store for a decent fixed fighting blade.

Overview:
    This Schrade Old Timer Sharpfinger (1520T) was purchased for $17.87+ tax from my local general store. The knife is a flat-ground 1/8"-thick high-carbon steel full-tang clip-point recurve blade with flat-sided ribbed scales made from a polymer called Delrin and has an overall length of 7-1/16". It came from the box shaving-sharp and with a leather sheath. Great fit and finish all around on the knife itself.

The Handle:
    As stated above, the black pinned Delrin scales are ribbed at about every 1/32" with a simple curve pattern. The 3-5/8" scales are a rather thick creating a handle that is about 11/16" thick and slightly rounded on the top, bottom, and corners for comfort.
    The ribbing is surprisingly grippy and I had no difficulty using the knife for typical kitchen uses when my hands were wet with either water or animal blood.
    The flat top of the handle melds into a thumb rise that all but screams, "Hold me in the Saber Grip!" Sorry to disappoint, sir...
    The handle itself allows for a "workable" grip in all of the grips that I tried, but with an obviously superior grip being found in the traditional blade-out grips. Hammer, Modified Filipino, Saber, and Ice Pick Grips were all excellent with the squared butt being perfectly molded to fit my thumb in an Ice Pick grip.
    There is a lanyard hole in the butt of the handle for those who like this feature.

The Blade:
    The blade is of a full-tang construction and is made of 1/8"-thick high-carbon steel. Further information on the steel used isn't forthcoming but it certainly seems solid and holds an edge fairly well if my using it for a while without it needing sharpening is any indication. The blade I have measures 3-1/2" from the end of the choil to the blade tip and is slightly upturned for the last 1" or so. The tip is slightly out of line with the handle at the tip but Shivworks/D-Block hooking stabs shouldn't suffer for this as much as straight stabbing in the Saber Grip might. No Gucci here so there is no jimping on the spine of the blade.

The Sheath:
    The sheath is a sheath in that it holds the blade in place and might protect it from the elements by accident, nothing more. The thin leather isn't molded at all to the blade or handle and only the thin leather strap that snaps into place keeps the knife from simply falling out if oriented in any position but down. If you're looking to carry this knife as a SD blade, get yourself a new sheath. Full Stop. Of course, this really isn't a true negative because you would end up round-filing most sheaths that come with high-end custom blades as well.

The Straight Skinny:
    This knife is surprisingly effective as a potential beer-budget defensive blade. At $17.87 you don't get any of the custom/semi-custom features you will find on higher-end knives but for sheer workability, it's quite good. Good steel, effective handle scales for a good grip for all blade-out grip types that I tried, a lanyard hole, and shaving-sharp out of the box? It will be pretty dang hard to do better for less. Guess McYoung and Perrin knew what they were talking about when they mentioned that they like this knife.
    Last edited by psychophipps; November 9th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Nice review, Thanks.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar

Saber Grip

Hammer Grip

Modified Filipino Grip

Ice Pick Grip

Inverted Edge Grip

Pikal Grip

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I have a sharpfinger and love it. It's my go to knife for deer, pheasants and ducks. Keeps a great edge and is easy on the hand. Nice review.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Excellent knife. I have owned two in my lifetime. Have one from the 70`s resting in the gun safe.
    Keep your powder dry

Are you sure that's the sharpfinger?

I thought the sharpfinger was a drop point.

I got a drop point and one like that called a skinner back in the 70's....

have not thought about them for years.

Liked them. Good knives.

bought mine in 1969, still have it. It is one of my go to knives for hunting and fishing. Over the years they have used various steels, but they always function. Good review.

Been around a long time. I don't ever use mine because I inherited from my father. I have had several in the past that I did use and think they are a fine knife.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Links