Defensive Carry banner

Surefire Delta folder

7K views 49 replies 35 participants last post by  Beretta1526 
#1 ·
See less See more
#27 ·
Hey guys,

I have one. SureFire sent me a sample for review. Granted it is a small fortune. In their defense, it is a somewhat limited production knife designed by a true knife craftsman, Steve Ryan, with all top notch materials like titanium handles, S30V steel, and SureFire's bullet-proof lifetime guarantee. The box it comes in is also damn cool. ;)

It is a very, very impressive knife. Will they sell at $425 or close to it.... I don't know, we will see.

#29 ·
DDGator said:
Hey guys,

I have one. SureFire sent me a sample for review. Granted it is a small fortune. In their defense, it is a somewhat limited production knife designed by a true knife craftsman, Steve Ryan, with all top notch materials like titanium handles, S30V steel, and SureFire's bullet-proof lifetime guarantee. The box it comes in is also damn cool. ;)

It is a very, very impressive knife. Will they sell at $425 or close to it.... I don't know, we will see.
DD, did they send you any info on their intended primary market? I can possibly see this, working EMS (but, again, outta reach for most$$), utilizing the various features in low-impact, day-to-day maintenance.

Problems:
1) Wrench incorporates the lock-bar. WTF? Ti is more brittle than steel/SS, and more likely to stress fracture than bend.

2)May not be a prob, but, if the frame is rivetted, as stated you can't replace/sharpen the zipper-cutter. ( MOD addresses this with their removable screws, but MOD has not discovered Helicoil, so they are extremey prone to stripping.) If the frame is fastened with bolts, are they Torx, Allen.....?

3) Non-standard cut on the wire cutter? Would you be able to sharpen it with common sharpeners?

I have not seen or handled one, but it strikes me as very much in the Leatherman category, light-to-moderate duty. Which translates to out-valued. I'm very curious to see an in depth review, and see how much difference there is between MSRP and actual retail......

#32 ·
Looks like a great knife to pack in my bunker gear, but certainly not at $425. If it were in the $100-$150 range, it'd definately be a possibility.

#35 ·
don't knock it till you've tried one

I have been carrying the Delta for a few months now. At first I thought that it was too big, but now I love it. The blade is virtually indestructable. All of the features work as described. I own a precision welding shop and this knife gets the **** beat out of it everyday.

Worth every penny!!!

#38 ·
How many custom knife makers make folders for a whole lot more? I can name two or three. Seems if its a limited run by a custom maker then why arnt we trashing the other knife makers?

But I do have to admit, I wish I was richer, so I could buy it.

Steve

#39 ·
Sonic -- I am sure you are kididing. These knives won't be on clearance at CDNN. Look at the success of the Alpha and Bravo folders -- they aren't sitting on any of them...

Again, its a very limited production unit from a master knife designer. Its not for everyone, but its not an unheard of price range either.

#40 ·
DDGator said:
Sonic -- I am sure you are kididing. These knives won't be on clearance at CDNN. Look at the success of the Alpha and Bravo folders -- they aren't sitting on any of them...

Again, its a very limited production unit from a master knife designer. Its not for everyone, but its not an unheard of price range either.
Yep. I was kidding, just don't know how to make the smileys work in the instant reply? :wave:

I would love to have one, myself, but the price is a little more than my budget would allow. I really like Surefire products and have bought one of their E2d flashlights. Convincing my wife that a hundred bucks is a real deal on a very small flashlight should have won me an Oscar! I have to be very picky about the sequel to that performance.

#41 ·
just don't know how to make the smileys work in the instant reply?
Sonic - unless you have learned the code for a smilie you want - best to go ''advanced'' so as to have them handy :smilez:

#42 ·
I came across this forum while searching for some reviews/discussion on the surefire delta knife

I saw 5 pages on the topic so I though great I will join!

50 posts and the only thing you have all established is that the knife is expensive

Is there some kind of point system or karma system here that would explain why people feel it’s necessary to repeat the same thing for 5 pages?

Point made. The Surefire Delta is unreasonably priced

#43 ·
If you do not like this forum I can help ya find the door. If you choose to stay , you might find this site a reasonable, helpful place to discuss and learn useful insight.

#46 ·
I don't think there is a knife quite like it.
Don't be too hard on the folks that get taken aback by the price since it does have an unusually hefty $$ tag as one of it's unusual features.

It's just one of those unique ultra~high quality "expensive to produce" items that honestly will sell to some people.

This is America :usflag: & I am all for any American citizen spending their hard earned money any way they see fit to spend it.

Many limited production items that are initially expensive greatly increase in collector value after they go out of production.

Way back when I bought my first Galil rifle folks thought I was bonkers for spending $900 smacks (plus change) on an AK47 pattern firearm but now...in pristine condition they always fetch 3 thousand.

Many ART folders sell for way over $500 and collectors still continue to snatch them up. They are a good investment & values skyrocket especially should the maker pass away.

I am not really a serious knife collector though I have a few locked away.

One of my most valuable knives I partially paid cash for & part traded Ivory for. I've kept it new and unused and my best guess is that its value has increased 5 fold since I bought it.

It was crafted by a Pennsylvania Maker & after he had a stroke that left him paralyzed and unable to produce any more knives the value shot right up. Good for me - sadly, bad for the maker.

So my advice is if you like it and it's worth it to you...buy one while you can still get one. Remember though if you're buying it as a future investment then it must stay in mint condition.

If you're buying it to use it then don't worry about the depreciation & enjoy it...It IS a high quality neat as Hell knife & you only live once. :yup:

#47 ·
I compare it to the H&K P7, its pricy and very nice, but there are others that do the same job at a much less price. Why do folks buy them? Cause they can.

Trust me if I had the dough, I sure would. Make a nice addition to my collection, even if I didnt carry it.

Steve

#48 ·
It would certainly look nice with my Alpha folder. I can't really comment on the cost, as I carry a Strider SnG as my EDC. Most people cringe at what I do with this knife, as it's a $400 knife, but when was the last time you saw this?

That's not an optical illusion or trick, and it's not my personal knife. I'm so tempted to try it if the finish on my tip gets funky, but everything I've done to it just comes right off with a cleaning.

#49 ·
B1526....I'll remember that photo if and when I'm engaged by a horde of rabid rolled-up quarters....I'll know that my Strider will let me take it to them dagnabbit!

LOL!

Seriously.....that is very impressive!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.