Surefire Delta folder - Page 2

Surefire Delta folder

This is a discussion on Surefire Delta folder within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Surely they jest. Looks like a nice knife, but I've never seen a knife worth half that....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surefire Delta folder

VIP Member
    Surely they jest. Looks like a nice knife, but I've never seen a knife worth half that.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    That is baffling why they'd think that knife could bring that price. And, if Surefire does with the knife what they did with their lights, everyone that deals with Surefire will have to sell for the same price.

It is in the same price category of a number of well known custom/semi-custom folders. I talked to Steve Ryan and looked at one at SHOT. Nice knife. It is spendy though.

They came out with some other collaboration folders, a couple or so years ago (Carson maybe?), with the flipper. Nice, good ergonomics, but they started out at $400, as well. I think they are now around $300. Still over-priced for a production knife that doesn't offer anything head-n-shoulders over competitors.

These are nice knives too, but i still wouldn't pay even close to the $200+ they cost.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_cat...p?cat_id=84&d=
    Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

member: NRA, SAF, GOA, USCCA
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I'll just stick to my throwaway Gerber.
    If I lose it, oh well!

I'm not planning on busting out windows, cutting repelling or parachute cords or infiltrating the wire of a firebase. My Craftsman wrench set will do nicely if I need to use a wrench. Could you imagine using one of these to loosen the drain plug on the oilpan of your vehicle?

I bet the Mall Ninja's are salivating at the chance to add one of these to their deadly arsenal.

Mall Ninja Leader: "Base to Mall Ninja Alpha Team Leader. Stop infrared survillence of women's fitting room. Get down to A & M's cutlery. They have a new shipment of Surefire Tactical Folders. Make sure yours matches your uniform color."

Mall Ninja Alpha Team Leader: "Roger that. Repelling down through the service elevator shaft in order to deploy. We will wait for your Go command."

Mall Ninja Leader: "Afirmative. On my command."
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72
    at that price, it better walk the dog, clean windows, balance my checkbook, change a tire, chop down a tree, and explain the birds and the bees to my kid. the flashlights are fairly priced, tho.

Thats what I was thinking, For that kind of dough, it shoud take down the BG by itself.

Kind of like the "Trunk Monkey"

Oh yeah, Is that one of your friends Bruce, He is pretty handy with that tire iron.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    This is the way that I look at it.
    If the Surefire people have consulted their PR guru's,their people that have 6(or so) years of "higher edjumacation",what are they telling the Surefire owners/managers.Are they saying,"yeah,at $425 it'll sell. Look what we're gettin' for our little lights". Or.......do they really feel that the folder is marketable at $425.

Let's see---the wire cutter. It will cut small gauge copper or brass but how 'bout the (only).032" to .040" hard tempered safety wire? How about some of the regular household wire that carries the 110V?

Window breaker?? Heck,my Spyderco Police will do that. So will almost any streight blade end of handle. So will my SAP. So will my pistol butt or just the mag held in your hand. So will......most anything.

Now the wrench. I'd havta see that in action to believe that it would spin off any nut that was more than hand tight. And up to what size? Maybe(?) 5/16ths.

Cord/harness cutter.......Seatbelts-probably. Paracord-maybe. When dulled how do you resharpen it? Same as wire cutter.

I'm not sayin' that this would not be a handy little item to have. It surely would make a great X-Mas preasent.It sure looks kool,intense,far out,and awwwwwsom. I would like to see one and try one. If it performs up to my standard I'd easily pay 50(or so) bucks for one. $425.........yeah right !! --------

Looks nice, but the price is crazy. Not sure I really need to co-mingle a fighting knife and pocket tool. I have a Leatherman Super Tool 200 and a Gerber Applegate. They are a little heavy on the belt, but together they accomplish more tasks for less than half the price of the Surefire. But you can never have too many toys, so if ya got the bucks...!

PJH
    $425? Just makes me realize what an excellent value my Kershaw folders are.

-Paul

DC Founder
    Hmmm, I don't think sooooo....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Hey guys,

I have one. SureFire sent me a sample for review. Granted it is a small fortune. In their defense, it is a somewhat limited production knife designed by a true knife craftsman, Steve Ryan, with all top notch materials like titanium handles, S30V steel, and SureFire's bullet-proof lifetime guarantee. The box it comes in is also damn cool. ;)

It is a very, very impressive knife. Will they sell at $425 or close to it.... I don't know, we will see.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Oh they'll sell - we ALL know that. They just won't sell to most of US :)

Quote Originally Posted by DDGator
    Hey guys,

I have one. SureFire sent me a sample for review. Granted it is a small fortune. In their defense, it is a somewhat limited production knife designed by a true knife craftsman, Steve Ryan, with all top notch materials like titanium handles, S30V steel, and SureFire's bullet-proof lifetime guarantee. The box it comes in is also damn cool. ;)

It is a very, very impressive knife. Will they sell at $425 or close to it.... I don't know, we will see.
    DD, did they send you any info on their intended primary market? I can possibly see this, working EMS (but, again, outta reach for most$$), utilizing the various features in low-impact, day-to-day maintenance.

Problems:
    1) Wrench incorporates the lock-bar. ***? Ti is more brittle than steel/SS, and more likely to stress fracture than bend.

2)May not be a prob, but, if the frame is rivetted, as stated you can't replace/sharpen the zipper-cutter. ( MOD addresses this with their removable screws, but MOD has not discovered Helicoil, so they are extremey prone to stripping.) If the frame is fastened with bolts, are they Torx, Allen.....?

3) Non-standard cut on the wire cutter? Would you be able to sharpen it with common sharpeners?

I have not seen or handled one, but it strikes me as very much in the Leatherman category, light-to-moderate duty. Which translates to out-valued. I'm very curious to see an in depth review, and see how much difference there is between MSRP and actual retail......

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72
    Problems:
    1) Wrench incorporates the lock-bar. ***? Ti is more brittle than steel/SS, and more likely to stress fracture than bend.
    Uhh...., Ti is more ductile then steel.
    "Its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"
    E Pluribus Unum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links