My EDC knife. Inexpensive, practical, razor sharp

This is a discussion on My EDC knife. Inexpensive, practical, razor sharp within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a knife every day, it's just good sense. I took a slightly different perspective than a lot of folks here. It's not an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My EDC knife. Inexpensive, practical, razor sharp

I carry a knife every day, it's just good sense. I took a slightly different perspective than a lot of folks here. It's not an expensive folder, or fixed blade.
    It's this: Stanley folding utility knife

Picked it up at Wally World for around $10. Not as snazzy as the $100 pocket folders many of you are fond of, but I suck at sharpening, and got mad skills at losing a pocket knife.
    If I lost a $100 knife, I'd probably cry. If I lose this one, I go back to WW.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

Senior Moderator
    Can you open it with one hand?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Glad it works for you cause I hate those things.
    Proud houlder of a Texas Open Carry License.

Have considered getting one but more for utility use.

Years ago worked in grocery store and carried a box cutter that was flat and quick, but only used it to open boxes.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I would find it much more suitable if it's was of a fixed blade type. I've actually been thinking about a way to make a small fixed-blade utility/last ditch knife using utility knife blades for a while now. Nothing definite yet, but the concept seems like it would work.

My only advice is that you make sure to buy the heavier contractor blades for it.

I've got a craftsman. The rezason I did that was the lifetime warranty craftsman has on their handtools. I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th now. Just take it into a Sears and switch it out. About $12
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

This is mine

$32 on Ebay......TDI Law Enforcement Knife

Fixed Blade @ 2-5/16" Legal to carry and Razor Sharp!

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

The problem I see with a box cutter type knife is it has limited uses. I have an antigue butter knife that was hand forged out of High Carbon steel that will outcut any box cutter with way more uses.

There are many folding knives that can be bought at second hand stores and from the Smoky Mountain Knife Works catalog for less then $25 that can be used for more functions then a Box Cutter.

It really boils down to what a knife will be used for. Many people Buy a knife and really never use it. I believe a lot of people who spend 100's of dollars for a knife buy it for their Ego and to show it off. I collect knives and some I paid over a $1000 for. The ones I use run about $25 to $60 or knives I make for special purposes.

I'm not saying they can't do some damage but I've snapped the blades on enough of them to know that they won't hold up under stress.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

cj
    All depends on your uses. They make great utility knives, and yes, can be opened and closed with one hand. All the same, there are a lot of tasks it just couldn't handle (e.g. while on a picnic, try cutting up an apple for your little girl with it), but if it works for your needs, great!

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    All depends on your uses. They make great utility knives, and yes, can be opened and closed with one hand. All the same, there are a lot of tasks it just couldn't handle (e.g. while on a picnic, try cutting up an apple for your little girl with it), but if it works for your needs, great!
    Yep, it's a one-hander. And yes you can cut an apple with it. Just keep it crud free if you're gonna do that.
    I don't doubt one bit that there are knives better suited to self defense. This is the knife style that I've found works best for me. I've used fixed blades by Schrade, Buck & Old Timer. I've carried Leatherman and Victronox (swiss army). All are excellent, as I'm sure the knives many of you carry are.
    This combines the convenient pocket clip carry of a good locking folder, with the low-maintenance razor sharp blade of a box cutter.
    And Stanley makes the best box cutters. I've tried plenty of those.

Craftsman might be ok. I rarely shop at Sears because they don't honor the warranty unless you have the receipt. And who keeps every receipt?
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

I carry the Craftsman one as well, but I also carry a Kabar TDI

If I have to pull a blade on someone its going to be the TDI.
    NRA Life Member

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Ed Brown Kobra Carry stainless .45
    HK45C .45

$60-$100 is my knife range, I only have had 3 and I find this to give me the best quality and reliable knife
    Carry-S&W 642
    HD-Remington 870

The Dalai Lama:"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."

i'd go with kabar tdi. legal, effective, quick to deploy and for me good ergonomics.

I used to work for a massive I.D. card production facility, we had to open so many different types of containers like reems of paper, plastic shipping containers, and cardboard. Our employer gave us an unlimited ammount of those things, except they were the adonized aluminum handled Craftsman models from Sears. I still have two or three lying around my house, handy little buggers they are.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links