Folding knife review in the Apr 2006 issue

This is a discussion on Folding knife review in the Apr 2006 issue within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any one read this article? If so, any opinions?...

Thread: Folding knife review in the Apr 2006 issue

Folding knife review in the Apr 2006 issue

Any one read this article?
    If so, any opinions?

2. Remove Ads

Read it, and found it very interesting. I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion myself and really like it. I'd like to see one of the SOG Pentagon knives they had in the article, just to compare.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I enjoyed the article. I have carried a Benchmade Griptillian for a while now, but just ordered a Spyderco Chinook. I figure it can't hurt to have more then one knife. Would not mind seeing more knife articles now and then.

Assistant Administrator
    I enjoyed the article too but it did not cover a few variants I might have liked reviewed.

Not easy tho to cover the whole spectrum and I guess the approach was sorta one example from each of the mainstream manufacturers..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

The Kershaw knife mentioned, the Tactical Blur... my least favorite of the lot. I just don't like Tanto blade folders. Least useful blade shape ever. Yeah, the point allows for a stronger tip for better penetration, but that's not something so important for a folder. For a fixed blade, that's something else. But for a folder? Please. I'm stabbing through the hood of a car with a folder. (or a fixed blade either)
    Pocket folders are multirole devices. They need to be able to do other things than stab.

Quote Originally Posted by George Hill
    The Kershaw knife mentioned, the Tactical Blur... my least favorite of the lot. I just don't like Tanto blade folders. Least useful blade shape ever. Yeah, the point allows for a stronger tip for better penetration, but that's not something so important for a folder. For a fixed blade, that's something else. But for a folder? Please. I'm stabbing through the hood of a car with a folder. (or a fixed blade either)
    Pocket folders are multirole devices. They need to be able to do other things than stab.
    That may be but since the Blur worked so well for my wife we gave it high marks in the article. She doesn't use it for much else than a backup weapon and its slim profile was easy for her to carry. I think that the article covered that as its main benefit. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I enjoyed the article too but it did not cover a few variants I might have liked reviewed.

Not easy tho to cover the whole spectrum and I guess the approach was sorta one example from each of the mainstream manufacturers..
    Yeah, I wish I could have covered more knives but as you stated I wanted to hit some of the main manufacturers. I may do another knife review down the road. If you have any suggestions please let me know. thanks for the feedback.

Lucky, I meant the Tactical Blur is my least favorite of the Ken Onion/Kershaw lot. At least that was what I was thinking about when I knocked around the Folding Tanto thing.

Great article by the way. I think we should do more knife articles because carry a knife is so closely related to carrying a gun.... Most folks carry folders even when they don't carry their concealed carry pistol. And a blade is more likely to be used in the sight of others for more mundane tasks, more in the public eye, more likely to raise an eyebrow because of it too. A CCW is a secret thing that no one else in the office should ever even know you have.
    Just thinking out loud.

Lucky, I meant the Tactical Blur is my least favorite of the Ken Onion/Kershaw lot. At least that was what I was thinking about when I knocked around the Folding Tanto thing.

Great article by the way. I think we should do more knife articles because carry a knife is so closely related to carrying a gun.... Most folks carry folders even when they don't carry their concealed carry pistol. And a blade is more likely to be used in the sight of others for more mundane tasks, more in the public eye, more likely to raise an eyebrow because of it too. A CCW is a secret thing that no one else in the office should ever even know you have.
    Just thinking out loud.
    Hey George,
    More knife articles are on the way!!!!!
    Stay tuned, some cool stuff is coming down the chute.

thanks for the reply.

I just don't like Tanto blade folders. Least useful blade shape ever. Yeah, the point allows for a stronger tip for better penetration, but that's not something so important for a folder. For a fixed blade, that's something else. But for a folder? Please. I'm stabbing through the hood of a car with a folder. (or a fixed blade either)

Well I'll put my flame suit on but as an ol' knifemaker I'll argue that a tanto point is not designed as an armor piercer. Marketing and hype may proclaim it but it just ain't so. Japanese sword fighting (which I also studied) has very little stabbing or thrusting moves. They had short legs and relied more extensively on cutting. Some of the more modern styles have introduced some of these moves but historically there were few. The Japanese armor of the day actually was very effective against the weapons of the day. Most cuts where aimed at the weak joints in the armor or were meant for unarmored combat.

The geometry is a great meat slicer, however. It really isn't that hard to drive any well made knife through a sheet metal car door.

Eric

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    And not all Kershaw Blur models have the tanto blade.
    Mine does not.
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

That's why I said the "Tactical Blur" which does.

I have been including knives in my Real World Carry Gear column. In fact, I reviewed the Tactical Blur in my last column, so I little bit of overlap I guess. More knives coming, including the SureFire Delta and something brand new from Emerson.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Links