Is this a practical choice from Coldsteel?

This is a discussion on Is this a practical choice from Coldsteel? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for a folder to round out my carry gear. While browsing their website, came across a product call the Scimitar. They had a video ...

Thread: Is this a practical choice from Coldsteel?

Is this a practical choice from Coldsteel?

Looking for a folder to round out my carry gear. While browsing their website, came across a product call the Scimitar. They had a video on their website pertaining to this knife. While the video was impressive, how practical would this knife be I wonder. Input is welcome.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I have a friend who has been quite happy with his Cold Steel knives. They tend to strike me as being "more show than go" with their ridiculous taglines for their blades and flavor-of-the-month styling but they do work just dandy for any reasonable use. Nobody really dogs VG1 steel except for the crime of coming from CS and I didn't find any reports of it being horrible or anything. Probably a bit better than AUS8 seems to be the consensus.
    You could definitely do worse. You could probably do better as well, but probably not for the same price point once you figure in interwebz discounts. Don't buy it straight from CS. You'll save almost 50% before shipping if you go with Amazon or something similar.

Two things:
    1) Make sure this blade is legal in your jurisdiction and the jurisdictions you tend to spend time in. the last thing you need is to get your butt in a sling because you didn't bother to research knife laws in your area.

2) This knife is heavily designed for forward-blade techniques. If you don't roll with this series of techniques, I would look elsewhere.

Not my bag, seems a bit bulky, but if you want a bigger knife than it just might be perfect for you.

My lock blade folder goes every where I go.

When a hospital or business is posted so I can not carry my CC firearm, I can still carry my LBF and have something I feel will work for defense in a up close and personal type defensive encounter.

One of the reasons I am faster with the LBF than CC firearm is I can practice with it most anywhere and not be noticed near as much as if I am pulling a pistol form concealment. The only problem I have had with it is losing consecration and placing thumb in wrong spot as blade opens. However, one or two times with a band aid on thumb tends to increase mental awareness, so far no stitches. Blade is very sharp and works very well.

I find Cold Steel knifes to be overpriced on most of their knifes for the quality of steel they use.Check out Spyderco.The scimitar looks to me to be an impractical design good for slashing but poor for most other things I prefer a more utility style.Check out the Tenacious from Spyderco.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    I have been quite happy with my Spyderco Tenacious.

The Endura and Delica, also from Spyderco, have been mentioned countless times by various "been there, done that" folks over a good many years as excellent blades for both utility and tactical use. These two models also come with highly regarded drone/trainer models for more realistic training.

I love my Emerson Super Commander. I have misplaced it twice, right now being one of those times, and it is heartbreaking. But when I have it, it's the cat's meow. If I find it again, I'm going to lanyard it to myself!!

Cold Steel suffers from a kind of bipolar image. There are those who think that CS is nothing but hype while others swear by their products. The facts are that CS does make some cheap stuff and it makes some high end stuff. The cheap stuff is, indeed, cheap. The high end stuff is worth its price. I have one high end CS knife that is over 12 years old and I have really abused it. It has taken everything I can give and more. Buy high end stuff and you will like it.
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

Looks a bit big for an edc IMHO.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Cold Steel is like every other maker of knives. They have great stuff, ok stuff, and crap....pocket bushman.....
    Their machetes are great, their folders.....hit or miss, fixed blades mostly fighting stuff. Can they been over priced mostly yes, but they have some really great knives at great prices but you really have to search for them.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

I have really wanted to spring for one of the Spike models, jsut to see if they are really as sharp and durable as they advertize. They really know how to show off a product in the video's on thier site.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit

Cold Steel Question

I have been a knife collector for many years. I have owned several cold steel knives in the course of my life and have found them to be reliable knives. I currently have a Vaquero Grande, which I purchased for $30.00 from a dealer who was closing them out because CS had switched from the pocket sheath to the pocket clip. I also own a CS folding Tanto. Both are good knives. The Tanto, however, tends to close quickly if you are allowing gravity to take over, (blade facing downward), and I have nearly sliced my thumb off twice with it due to the shape of the handle. The plastic pocket clip also does not hold with every pair of pants you might wear. Jeans are good, khakis not so good.

The Spyderco Endura I once purchased for my brother in law. It had a plastic pocket clip. He got it caught on something as he was walking and the clip snapped off.
    My suggestion is this...stay with metal pocket clips. You get what you pay for, but look around and you might get it at a better price.

Also, in my opinion, the Tanto style blade is one of the strongest blades you can find. It is also very handy. Gerber makes several very good knives with a Tanto option.
    Kershaw also makes many good knives. My current daily carry knife is a Kershaw that has a spring assisted opening. If I am not carrying that, I am carrying my Gerber Applegate Covert Folder.

If I am not carrying either of those two knives, it is because I forgot my pants at home!

One last piece of advice. Beware of serrated blades. They can cut through most things like a hot wire through butter and stay sharp for a long time...BUT, when they become dull, they are more difficult to sharpen.

I've owned several CS knives over the years and have been pretty happy with all of them. I carry a Safekeeper III (push dagger, no longer in production) every day.

While CS is not my first choice, you can definitely do worse.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I like CS. I have matching scars from two separate Recon ! folders. This is knife is a power house. If you are unsure about a knife try looking at a gun show they usually have knife dealers there. Good way to shop and actually feel. Also check out youtube nutnfancy does some really nice reviews on many different knives. Lots of options, good luck. And remember there is nothing that says you can only have one lol
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Just posted about my Recon I (clip point) in a different thread - I can recommend it, especially for southpaws. MSRP is $120, I think they go for ~$75.00. Note I do have to periodically snug up the tension. It can become a 'gravity knife' over time.
    Jackpine

Links