Fixed blades in WA: Are they legal?

Fixed blades in WA: Are they legal?

This is a discussion on Fixed blades in WA: Are they legal? within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I'm confused. I want a single edged, fixed blade, that I can carry concealed in the state of Washington. I have reviewed two topics ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fixed blades in WA: Are they legal?

Question Fixed blades in WA: Are they legal?

So I'm confused.

I want a single edged, fixed blade, that I can carry concealed in the state of Washington. I have reviewed two topics on the subject. One says it's legal, one says it isn't:

Says it can be legal:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ton-state.html

Say's it isn't:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...xed-blade.html

So who's right? Can I carry a fixed blade in WA? And if so, how long can it be?

Cities can make their own knife laws, suck as Seattle. It is illeagal to carry afixed blade in Seattle unless the knife is carried because of work. Most other parts of the state they can be carried but you may be hastled by Police officers that don't know.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Fixed blades are only illegal in Seattle if the blade is longer than 3-1/2", otherwise pretty much anything goes statewide as far as blade length.

Seriously, folks. It's right there, for free, in public domain, in the RCWs. If you bothered to Google "WA knife laws" you'd get them on the first non-highlighted link like I just did.

The best advice I can give is to read the RCW and decide for yourself. Everything is taken in context, even being stopped by a LEO, so these laws will be interpreted based upon the totality of circumstances when you have your day in court. The officer might get it right, but they might also get it wrong and you might suffer for it.

Sorry to sound like a butthead here, but this question comes up a lot and it's almost always for WA state for some reason...

That makes sense....

All right, so ixnay on fixed blades in Seattle. I can do that. I live in WA and work in OR.

So on that note......

Are fixed blades legal in Oregon?

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post

Sorry to sound like a butthead here, but this question comes up a lot and it's almost always for WA state for some reason...
    AND Washington probably has the most extensive and easy to access online legal listing in the country.

You can't carry a fixed blade. Concealed pistol license not concealed weapon license.
    Yes its a weird law.

Well...

The part of the law that confuses me is that it states that "dirks and daggers" are specifically prohibited.

Yet nowhere in the statutes does it DEFINE what a dirk or dagger IS! It doesn't define them by blade length, number of cutting edges, shape, style, or any other means.

So, given that I personally have a concealed pistol permit, I would personally carry one if I wanted to. If I was arrested for carrying, my defense would be that the statute doesn't specifically prohibit me from carrying because it doesn't define what's prohibited.
    "Anybody who deserves to be shot, deserves to be shot alot." - Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    Seriously, folks. It's right there, for free, in public domain, in the RCWs. If you bothered to Google "WA knife laws" you'd get them on the first non-highlighted link like I just did.
    You need to be careful because RCWs are only part of what applies to legality. There is also case law that applies...particularly to interpreting what the RCW actually means. For example, what does RCW 9.41.250 (2) really mean by "...other dangerous weapon..."?
    A traffic ticket is formal recognition of a lapse in situational awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by aric View Post
    AND Washington probably has the most extensive and easy to access online legal listing in the country.

You can't carry a fixed blade. Concealed pistol license not concealed weapon license.
    Yes its a weird law.
    So...when I was showing my lawyer friend and a group of three active police officers (at the same time) my two fixed blade knives that I EDC, without any sort of comment or negative reaction, I was breaking the law? Care to point out where in the RCW it says that I was doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Bm7b5 View Post
    You need to be careful because RCWs are only part of what applies to legality. There is also case law that applies...particularly to interpreting what the RCW actually means. For example, what does RCW 9.41.250 (2) really mean by "...other dangerous weapon..."?
    I would say, taking the context of the law into account, that it would mean, "random object capable of doing harm that you are illegally threatening another person with". If you used the same object in the course of legal self-defense then it wouldn't be a problem.

One thing to keep in mind is that WA has excellent carry and SD laws when compared to most other states. Only Seattle has a fixed-blade knife law, you can carry back-up guns without issue, we had a Castle Doctrine before there was the term "Castle Doctrine", and we have state preemption.

Fixed blades are only illegal in Seattle if the blade is longer than 3-1/2", otherwise pretty much anything goes statewide as far as blade length.

The best advice I can give is to read the RCW and decide for yourself. Everything is taken in context, even being stopped by a LEO, so these laws will be interpreted based upon the totality of circumstances when you have your day in court. The officer might get it right, but they might also get it wrong and you might suffer for it.

SMC 12A.14.080 Unlawful use of weapons.

(snip)unlawful to(snip)

B. Carry concealed or unconcealed on his or her person any dangerous
    knife, or carry concealed on his or her person any deadly weapon other
    than a firearm; or
    SMC 12A.14.010 Definitions.

A. "Dangerous knife" means any fixed-blade knife and any other knife having a blade more than three and one-half inches (3 1/2") in length.

B. "Fixed-blade knife" means any knife, regardless of blade length, with a blade which is permanently open and does not fold, retract or slide into the handle of the knife, and includes any dagger, sword, bayonet, bolo knife, hatchet, axe, straight-edged razor, or razor blade not in a package, dispenser or shaving appliance.
    emphasis added.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I stand corrected and bow to your superior search-fu (and apparent ability to read *lol*), matiki.

The last few times I've been to Seattle I had apparently been a bad monkey with my CRKT Bear Claw and it's big, bad sub-2" blade.

*Marks mental checklist* Now I have another reason to hate Seattle.

Note RCW (revised code of Washington -- state law) vs SMC (Seattle Municipal code -- Seattle law). You need to keep your laws straight and consider which (or both) may apply.

Also note that unlike gun laws, cities can and do supersede Washington law with regard to knives.

Matiki has your answer for Seattle. Seattle knife laws are more restrictive than WA state laws.

But, if i recall correctly, you can carry a fixed blade knife in most places outside of Seattle, but I don't recall the details. Since I work in Seattle, I have to work within the more restrictive Seattle codes.

-john

Unfortunately, the State of Washington only pre-empts firearms laws.

For example, in Bellingham, it is illegal to possess a CEW (Taser):
    Bellingham Municipal Code, City of Bellingham, WA

City of Bellingham Municipal Code

Title 10 CRIMINAL CODE
    Chapter 30 WEAPONS CONTROL

10.30.020 - STUN GUNS, TASERS AND SIMILAR DEVICES

A. Possession, sale or use prohibited. It shall be unlawful for any individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity to sell, give, lend, rent, or otherwise transfer to any other individual, person, firm, corporation, or similar entity a stun gun, TASER, or similar electronic or energy device or weapon which, upon coming in contact with a person, is capable of inflicting injury or an electric or energy shock to such a person. It shall further be unlawful for any person to possess, fire, or discharge such electronic or energy device or weapon within the Bellingham City limits.

B. Exceptions. This section shall not apply to any member of the Bellingham Police Department or other authorized law enforcement officer while in the performance of his or her official duties or to any electronic or energy device or weapon designed solely and exclusively for animal control purposes.

C. Penalties. Any violation of this section is a misdemeanor.

[Ord. 2005-10-006]
    As a result Washington is quite a minefield for self defense apparatus/weapons. The only choice that's consistent state-wide is a firearm.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

They're legal.... mostly.

So I finally talked to my boss who is a retired sheriff from WA. He said that single edged, fixed blades of 3" or less are legal. He noted that places like Seattle are exceptions and that you should be aware of local regulations.

And. I spoke with a self defense trainer in OR who teaches DPSST and concealed handgun courses. He said ANY concealed, single edged, fixed blade is legal. Unless, you're on federal land, than it's 2 1/2".

Oh yeah, I'm not a lawyer giving legal advice. Blaw blaw yakkity yakkity.

Seriously folks, if you ONLY read the RCW, you are asking for trouble. What is legal in the State, might be illegal in the state? I know that doesn't make sense but it's fact. WA does not ban a 6" folding knife. Almost all cities do. Which would you trust your defense to, RCW or city laws?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links