Defensive Carry banner

Easy open AND easy close knife?

8K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  armbreaker 
#1 ·
My wife is looking for a knife to use around the barn she works at, that is easy to open (preferably one hand) AND easy to manipulate to close.
She likes NONE of my knives, finding the locks small and hard to manipulate on closing.

I've looked at a few OTF autos, and like the action (one big button to open and close) but that style of knife is impractical for real work.

It's primary use will be around the barn, but could also be a back up defensive blade if she found one that fit the bill.

Oh, and money is tight. Definitely looking for under 100 bucks.

Any suggestions?

#5 ·
Yeah, they OPEN easy, but again, she finds the locks a pain. Especially with gloves on, which she infrequently takes the time to remove.

Benchmade Axis locks. Same manipulation to open and close, can do both one handed.

Matt
I'll look them up.

BTW, I suggested a fixed blade/sheath knife, but she hates "stuff all over" her belt.

See why this is frustrating me? :blink:

#6 ·
Originally Posted by wmhawth
If she wants easy one handed opening the Spydercos ought to work for her.
Yeah, they OPEN easy, but again, she finds the locks a pain. Especially with gloves on, which she infrequently takes the time to remove.
Hmmm...Working the lock one handed seems easy for me with my Endura but if it's difficult for her how about a small fixed blade knife?

Oops. Didn't see your comment about a fixed blade on her belt.

#15 ·
#14 ·
As pedestrian and boring as this sounds.......A box or utility knife? Easy one-handed, gloved-ungloved operation and always sharp...........

#16 ·
Bloody brilliant! Why didn't I think of that? :embarassed:

She couldn't care less about the coolness factor, so that would be perfect. Then she can carry a small folder in the pocket if she occasionally does need a longer blade.

#19 ·
I can easily open and close my Kershaw Ken Onion Leek with one hand, but it did take some bandaids to get it down to a natural movement.:yup:

#23 ·
I have found the axis type of locks really simple to open and close with one hand and wile wearing gloves.

I found the action on the SOG brand of knifes to be alittle smother then the benchmade mades types.

My other half feels the same way about the blades as well

hope this helps

#26 ·
Thanks guys.
She liked the utility knife idea, at least till she can find a longer blade she likes. The axis looks like a potential.
She just cares squat about knives, other than knowing she needs one. As for practicing to get the hang of one...never going to happen. If it does not do exactly as she wants, on the first try, she's out.
SO glad she was more reasonable with firearms!

#27 ·
Arko:

When (and if) she agrees to look at a "larger" blade, have her look at these, not because they are pink, but for what they represent, which is support for Breast Cancer research:

55X-PNK Details | Benchmade

A great knife with an Axis lock. Some other makers are doing the same, but that idea might excite her a bit.

Good luck.

#29 ·
One just might end up in the stocking.

+1 on the Benchmade's I absolutely love the knives and the company. Excellent customer service and a top of the line product. I have a D2 Benchmade Griptillian and I love it. It's tough holds a great edge. Easy to open one handed and it has a solid grip because of the textured finish. Good luck on the search :)

#28 ·
+1 on the Benchmade's I absolutely love the knives and the company. Excellent customer service and a top of the line product. I have a D2 Benchmade Griptillian and I love it. It's tough holds a great edge. Easy to open one handed and it has a solid grip because of the textured finish. Good luck on the search :)

#30 ·
I would recommend the CRKT M16-13SF...they are fast and easy to deploy with one finger due to the two Carson Flippers that make a good hilt and its easy to close with one hand...the blade size is over 3 and half inches perfect for a defensive Knife...they run about $60.00...best knife I ever owned

#31 ·
Arko:

I read somewhere that when a woman tells her man about a problem, she doesn't really want him to solve her problem, she is just wanting him to listen to her talk about it and be supportive of her. We men are wired differently of course, being problem-solving goal-oriented, instead of female "wants" oriented. Try just listening to your wife talk about her problem instead of trying to solve her problem, and see what happens. Now, if she reads this post, and thinks this is ridiculous, please let me know--this isn't my idea, it's just something I read somewhere.

#32 ·
when a woman tells her man about a problem, she doesn't really want him to solve her problem, she is just wanting him to listen to her talk about it and be supportive of her
Gosh darnit that is sooooo true..............A man needs to tread carefully in those woods.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.