SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry.

This is a discussion on SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry. within the Defensive Knives & Other Weapons forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Case Sodbuster Jr. for everyday cutting, and right now for SD too. It's sharper than any other knife I have gotten. I've ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: SHOPPING FOR A KNIFE? Here's what we carry.

I carry a Case Sodbuster Jr. for everyday cutting, and right now for SD too. It's sharper than any other knife I have gotten. I've had it for about 5-6 months, and it's still sharper than a razorblade, and I use it daily.

I want to get a Spyderco for SD, but I'm not sure which one to get yet. I'm debating between these two:

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Because it is smaller, and still looks solid.

or

http://http://www.spyderco.com/catal...hp?product=128

Because it won't rust, and that would be a plus working in a warehouse in the summer.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    I carry a Case Sodbuster Jr. for everyday cutting, and right now for SD too. It's sharper than any other knife I have gotten. I've had it for about 5-6 months, and it's still sharper than a razorblade, and I use it daily.

I want to get a Spyderco for SD, but I'm not sure which one to get yet. I'm debating between these two:

:: Spyderco Product Details ::

Because it is smaller, and still looks solid.

or

http://http://www.spyderco.com/catal...hp?product=128

Because it won't rust, and that would be a plus working in a warehouse in the summer.
    all of the spyderco salt series knives are great. ive had my atlantic salt for 2 years now, and the H1 steel gets sharper everyday.

For my everyday beater knife....as in affordable and razor sharp out of the box... I carry a CRKT M21-14DSFG

Benchmade 950 Rift ... recently acquired.
    Billy
    Fusion Tact-5 in a Pure Kustom Black-Ops Pro
    Glock 23 in a Barber Leatherworks IWB

I have been carrying a Benchmade 943 Plain edge for about 3 months now and I love it. Highly recommend it.

943 Details | Benchmade

South Florida, a Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
    Kershaw Blur ...

Hey all I am chiming back in on this with an update. I am currently carrying a SOG Trident, SOG twitch 2, and SOG powerlock. It may be changing up soon I really like the Twitch XL and possibly a spyderco not sure.
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Benchmade/Doug Ritter RSK Mk1! That's my main carry...in tighter paints i sometimes switch off to a kershaw S30V Random Leek Combo Edge, or a Boker Drop Point Trance. I'm absolutely in love with the Axis Lock.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HardCorps79 View Post

I'm not against carrying a good quality knife as a utility tool. My dad taught me that a gentleman always has a good blade handy. But we're talking more than just cutting string and prying here. This is a defensive forum.

I really hope some of you are taking your knife carrying as seriously as you do your pistols, i.e. with serious training. Granted, if you happen to be quicker than the other guy, it doesn't take a genius to stab someone. But in a nation of 300 million or so folks, that playing a pretty big lottery with your skills.

Another story:
    In the battle of Fallujah (2nd) some guys from Kilo Co were in some ridiculous CQB, clearing houses, etc. They got in close. Hand to hand. Not a single guy used a folding knife in that situation. Every blade kill was performed with either a Ka-bar or the new bayonet (OKC3S).

So, if you go to a knife fight, bring a blade that is engineered to pierce the aorta from the bottom of the ribs and has a blade strong enough to break ribs if necessary. (I realize, of course, that this isn't practical for edc, but just making a point.)

If you want a decent combat folder, go with something that will keep your hand from slipping forward onto the blade, e.g. the CRKT M-16s or something with a hand guard. As an LEO a surefire way to identify a stabbing perp is that his hands are all cut up. Blood makes the handle very slick and it slides up onto the blade.

And please, again, SERIOUSLY!!!!, if you are going to consider using any sort of blade as a weapon, PLEASE, get some professional training. You will have to resolve yourself to the fact that in any knife fight you are going to get cut. Accept this. And then decide where it will be, get cut there one time as you defend against your opponent's strike and simultaneously counter with a single lethal movement. Practice at home with chalk-blades and white T-shirts, or even kitchen spatulas. You'll soon realize this is nothing to be taken lightly. But with training, you MIGHT be able to walk away with only minor injuries.

Again, I'm not against carrying a knife, even for a last-ditch defensive measure, but it seems a lot of folks are buying Porsches when they haven't mastered a big-wheel, and thinking they'll carve a turkey with a penknife.

Really not trying to stir up trouble. Just want folks to think about how serious this is. It's not a joke. It's your life.

Semper Fi
    Great post and thank you for the service you have given our country. I agree with everything you said. A knife fight is the last thing that I would want to be involved in. I have always liked pocket knives but lately I've been thinking about getting a Benchmade for a EDC but I also realize without training, it's going to be pretty useless if I ever try to use it in a defensive situation.

On a side note, I've been training my 7 yr. old nephew. I ask him; "What happens to people that carry knives?" in which he replies, "They get shot."

I know this is wrong - but I couldn't help it.

Senior Member Array psychophipps's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Great post and thank you for the service you have given our country. I agree with everything you said. A knife fight is the last thing that I would want to be involved in. I have always liked pocket knives but lately I've been thinking about getting a Benchmade for a EDC but I also realize without training, it's going to be pretty useless if I ever try to use it in a defensive situation.

On a side note, I've been training my 7 yr. old nephew. I ask him; "What happens to people that carry knives?" in which he replies, "They get shot."

I know this is wrong - but I couldn't help it.
    There are a few trainers here that will probably disagree with me, but I am firmly in the camp of, "The best defense is a good offense" when it comes to armed and unarmed combatives. The main reason why most people get messed up in self-defense situations has absolutely nothing to with how much chop-socky, knife swinging, or stick bonking they have done. They lack the proper combative mindset and the aggression necessary to overwhelm their attacker and to take care of business. People get killed all of the time by untrained idiots with this combative mindset so rolling over with a plaintive sigh and saying, "This knife is worthless to me without some super-fly Uf Gnuk or other training" simply makes my point all the more clear.

I have modified the oft-quoted "Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action" for armed and unarmed combatives to, "Intent, Surprise, and Violence of Action". A firearm is easy to establish killing intent as you just have to pull the trigger when the target is generally farther than arms reach away. Hit the little bang switch with your index finger and the tool does the rest of the work. Heck, you can even do it while all but running away.
    In armed and unarmed combatives you need to actually converge on the target, feel the jarring of the tool running up your hand into your arm as you slam it into them again and again, possibly even have a bunch of blood running all over yourself. You need to stare the attacker in the eye with righteous fury and let them know that they have done messed with the wrong person here while you steamroller them into submission. No quarter, no mercy, 100% aggression until they're no longer a threat.

And this is where most people fall short.

Either a manually operated Microtech Socom Elite or the Benchmade 710 Axis Lock.
    Attached Images
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

Violence is the Key

Quote Originally Posted by psychophipps View Post
    There are a few trainers here that will probably disagree with me, but I am firmly in the camp of, "The best defense is a good offense" when it comes to armed and unarmed combatives. The main reason why most people get messed up in self-defense situations has absolutely nothing to with how much chop-socky, knife swinging, or stick bonking they have done. They lack the proper combative mindset and the aggression necessary to overwhelm their attacker and to take care of business. People get killed all of the time by untrained idiots with this combative mindset so rolling over with a plaintive sigh and saying, "This knife is worthless to me without some super-fly Uf Gnuk or other training" simply makes my point all the more clear.

I have modified the oft-quoted "Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action" for armed and unarmed combatives to, "Intent, Surprise, and Violence of Action". A firearm is easy to establish killing intent as you just have to pull the trigger when the target is generally farther than arms reach away. Hit the little bang switch with your index finger and the tool does the rest of the work. Heck, you can even do it while all but running away.
    In armed and unarmed combatives you need to actually converge on the target, feel the jarring of the tool running up your hand into your arm as you slam it into them again and again, possibly even have a bunch of blood running all over yourself. You need to stare the attacker in the eye with righteous fury and let them know that they have done messed with the wrong person here while you steamroller them into submission. No quarter, no mercy, 100% aggression until they're no longer a threat.

And this is where most people fall short.

This is a GREAT post! You hit the nail on the head! INTENT is definitely ONE of the important parts of the puzzle. The thug on the street with no training at all understands the fact that simple VIOLENCE works almost every time. The gun, knife, stick, rock, foot, fist or whatever else is readily available is simply a TOOL. An extension if you will of the persons INTENT to inflict violence on his or her victim. Your advisory's brain is the TRUE PROBLEM! This is what needs to be turned off, NOW!

The second part of the equation is TARGETING. Besides understanding how to hold and use a knife, the other important part is to plunge it into a vulnerable target that's going to yield an INJURY or DEATH the first time. This mornings news led off with the story of a man stabs his wife 50 times, last night. She's in the hospital in STABLE condition... Simply bad targeting. He could have stabbed her once in any number of specific targets and been done with it. If this was one of us on the street in a fight for our life, do we want to have to stab, shoot, punch, kick etc. someone that many times in order to put them away?? Of course not, who knows how many more attackers we might be facing once the crap starts hitting the fan.

The REAL keys:
    1. Recognize VIOLENCE is a tool any of us can use!
    2. Have the INTENT of once YOU'VE decided it's ON, your not stopping till YOU decide it's over!
    3. Pick a TARGET that will yield you an INJURY/DEATH and start DESTROYING it!
    4. The TOOL he/she has, or you decide to use is irrelevant, just make sure you turn off his brain ASAP, and it all starts with getting an INJURY!

By the way, just added a SOG Aegis Tanto - Serrated to my collections of tools. Really like the assisted opening feature. Can't have an automatic in CA. Wouldn't be safe for the criminals... Such BS...
    Violence is rarely the answer, but when it is the answer, it's the ONLY answer...

Plan for the unthinkable like it's the inevitable.

Coz
    I carry two or three of the following, but always carry an everday CRKT m16 and my AL MAR money clip/small knife:
    For defensive purposes one or two of these along with the CRKT:
    A Cold Steel Safemaker III on my belt (Push Knife)
    A Cold Steel Ti-lite Titanium
    An Emerson Combat Kirambit

Added: The defensive knives either open on withdraw from pocket or in the case of the Safemaker, a fixed blade...no worries about opening.

The Emerson is the better of the two on opening completely when withdrawn, though the Ti-lite is very good also
    "He who hesitates is lost"

Quote Originally Posted by Coz View Post
    I carry two or three of the following, but always carry an everday CRKT m16 and my AL MAR money clip/small knife:
    For defensive purposes one or two of these along with the CRKT:
    A Cold Steel Safemaker III on my belt (Push Knife)
    A Cold Steel Ti-lite Titanium
    An Emerson Combat Kirambit

Added: The defensive knives either open on withdraw from pocket or in the case of the Safemaker, a fixed blade...no worries about opening.

The Emerson is the better of the two on opening completely when withdrawn, though the Ti-lite is very good also
    Got an Emerson Karambit myself...they're a mean little knife.
    "God hears all prayers, even when the answer is No."

6ft 200lbs i carry 4:Smith and wesson etreme ops 1 tanto,1 drop point, small swiss army[blade/file] Gerber Multi tool different uses for each

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Links